game 3 forum move 7 very interesting dr watson!

Started by stog, January 23, 2010, 12:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

game 3 forum move 7 -----2,1
very interesting dr watson!
more moves available on request

stog

Spoiler
i don't think we can hit here - i like 13/10 and 7/5 6/5 more! let's get a board first, then get him
[close]

diane

Spoiler
If I am reading this correctly, I am voting for the technically illegal 6/4*, 4/1 - but it is the closest to the 6/4*, 4/3 that I decided was all that I could see with this awkward move.
[close]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

dorbel

Spoiler
Yes, it looks too early to hit as we have to break the anchor to hit and have no board, or any way to play the 1! However, 7/5, 6/5 does at least start a board, I like that. The old masters used to stress the importance of putting your checkers where you want them and damn the torpedoes. With two anchors we can take a hit if we get something in return and making our 5pt is a big plus.
[close]

pck

Spoiler

Quote from: stog on January 23, 2010, 12:57:10 PM
i don't think we can hit here - i like 13/10 and 7/5 6/5 more! let's get a board first, then get him

Definitely no hit on 18 as white can hit back loose on its 5 point with impunity due to black's non-existing homeboard.

Cubewise, the match score of 4-a 4-a is extremely aggressive, so what move can one make here to keep white from doubling next turn? (esp. considering that the opp's name starts with "blitz")

If white closes his barpoint, and there is a good chance it will, then black's anchor on 24 becomes a big liablity, even if black manages to hit another of white's checkers. The resulting holding game feels uncomfortable enough to me to pass if black cubes.

Making its 5-point with 7-5 6-5 would commit black to a 51 backgame of sorts, which is pretty weak and could probably be dbl/passed as well.

So I think I'd go for 6-4 4-3, hoping that white will not double from the bar.

Tough call indeed, wouldn't be surprised if my analysis turned out to be unworthy of a Sherlok Holmes.

[close]

dorbel

Blitz isn't going to be doubling for a while as long as we play reasonably. I don't think any play commits us to a back game either, because we don't have the points for a backgame; 24 and 20 is unplayable. What we are playing is a positional struggle and to play positionally we need points and the best point that we can make next is our 5pt. Hitting might work but attacking while we have no board and are short of ammo doesn't seem the right game plan to me. I think how we win here is hit in the next three or four turns and contain the hit checker while we cycle those back men out through the 20pt. As one vote here is for an illegal play (just corrected by stog edit), perhaps the player who voted for 13/10, 6/5 might like to have another go. Of course he might like 13/11, 6/5 which on second thoughts is a fairly decent play! Still, better to make the 5pt than to threaten to make it I expect.

socksey

Quote from: diane on January 23, 2010, 01:07:36 PM
Spoiler
If I am reading this correctly, I am voting for the technically illegal 6/4*, 4/1 - but it is the closest to the 6/4*, 4/3 that I decided was all that I could see with this awkward move.
[close]
.[/spoiler]

As badly as I hate to agree with diane, this was my choice before I read all the spoilers.   :laugh:

socksey

Ability is what you're capable of doing.  Motivation determines what you do.  Attitude determines how well you do it. - Lou Holtz

stog

good a decisive vote --- will leave this to run for an hour or 2 then moved it on thx all

diane

Quote from: socksey on January 24, 2010, 07:30:27 PMAs badly as I hate to agree with diane, this was my choice before I read all the spoilers.   :laugh:

Now I want to change my mind  ;)   :laugh: :laugh:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

ok move made -- mr blitzxz u wanna cube? (good morning btw!)

blitzxz

No double. I can't tell too much what I'm thinking here as it might be helpful to forum.  ;)

stog

blitzxz

Bar/21 8/7 looks the most natural move. bar/20 is another choice but I don't need to let all things open just to get another escape number. Bar point also blocks the 1-point anchor nicely. I'm not too worried about any shots as I wasn't before. Unless forum rolls double 3 (which is a killer any way), I have nothing to be afraid. I move bar/21 8/7.