News:

Biggest free backgammon community - members from over 150 countries. Play backgammon for free on Fibs.com and enjoy the community on fibsboard

Main Menu

FIBS Tournament Schedule

Started by sixty_something, May 26, 2010, 08:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Quote from: socksey on October 07, 2013, 04:03:46 AM
On Sundays, it should read Tampa 5's at 9 instead of Tampa 7's at 9.  

That's odd, because Sunday's tampa here is 7/9  ;)  :lol: :lol:

You see how easy those mistakes are  ;)

Yes, smart as I am..I cross wired that one  :blink:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

diane

Quote from: KissMyAss on October 07, 2013, 05:45:49 AM
Tampa is 7/9 on Saturdays and Sundays, and is 5/7 for the other five days of the week, including today, which is Monday.  Therefore Sunday's Tampa is correctly labelled, as is today's one.

'Fraid not darlin  ;) The Tampa we have on Sunday is the Saturday night one in its own time slot  :laugh: :laugh:

The one on Monday afternoon here is their Sunday night Tampa, and is indeed, 5/7.

diane

Quote from: dorbel on October 07, 2013, 08:19:01 AM
Is it too radical to suggest that tournaments should be fixed to a UTC time for 12 months of the year?

It isn't radical, and I already tried it with Saturday Stubbies..since it really doesn't matter which local time that runs.

Sadly, it wasn't popular, it didn't fill half of the year and it therefore didn't stick...

It is a good suggestion, but does fly a bit in the face of creating a tourney that caters to a local time slot.

socksey

It's that extra day ahead that is a real tripper!  That's why I created my own little private schedule that is still in progress.   :laugh:

Now that makes 3 TD's confused about times!  I rest my case.......perhaps the molehill has grown to a mountain? 

Tom, the sheer numbers of players constitutes numbers in tourneys at any given time.  Doesn't necessarily mean most understand the schedule.  Oh, and maybe I do need to play all the tourneys in order to have a chance to win.  I'm not that great a player, ya know?!  Also, I play many because I can (work in progress).  ;)

socksey

The world wisely prefers happiness to wisdom. ~ Will Durant

dorbel

If for example, you switched Thur35 to 1630UTC, then it would start 30 mins earlier or 30 minutes later than it does now, depending on the season. How inconvenient can that be to anybody who enters regularly? Just a thought. Personally, it doesn't matter much to me. I only play a limited number of tournaments. I can work out time zones. I'm just trying to simplify things for administrators, newbies, people who don't have english as a first language and people who have difficulty coping with local time on the other side of the world. Also, it is a 24 hour worldwide server that keeps to UTC. Its use seems logical and it will avoid the confusion if at some point in the future a state opts out of DST because it confuses the cows and fades the curtains.

diane

Quote from: dorbel on October 07, 2013, 11:17:56 AMit will avoid the confusion if at some point in the future a state opts out of DST because it confuses the cows and fades the curtains.

KMA is in that state and has no daylight savings, but moves the tourney anyway, to where the action is :-)...it puts it out of reach for me for a few weeks though.

diane

Quote from: socksey on October 07, 2013, 11:02:44 AM

Now that makes 3 TD's confused about times!  I rest my case.......perhaps the molehill has grown to a mountain?  

The molehill was always there, it is only the height that varies, less change = less opportunity for error and therefore less height. I state again, I find it very confusing to work in multiple time zones, this approach causes the least confusion for me, because I don't have to keep working it all out.

As dorbel  is the only one who doesn't find all this confusing, it is just a shame he hasn't time to deal with it for us dumbos.

careca

Quote from: dorbel on October 07, 2013, 08:19:01 AM
Is it too radical to suggest that tournaments should be fixed to a UTC time for 12 months of the year? ...
:cool:

Yes, yes, please! Think global!

UTC, UTC, UTC!  :applaus:

See ya,
Alex

dorbel

QuoteAs dorbel  is the only one who doesn't find all this confusing, it is just a shame he hasn't time to deal with it

I think I could probably find ten minutes to type out a list of tournaments with times in UTC. Job done for the whole year.

jeeves

Quote from: dorbel on October 07, 2013, 11:17:56 AM
then it would start 30 mins earlier or 30 minutes later than it does now, depending on the season. How inconvenient can that be to anybody who enters regularly?

I like the idea  :idea2:, minimal disruption to TMs and players alike.  All tourneys running on UTC, and no amendments to the schedule unless they're real changes rather than some notional seasonal change.   :applaus:  Can we put this to the vote once and for all? Tom?  :rules:

diane

I have really thought about this..and I too would come down in favour..some disruption will happen, but I think if my 7/7.30pm series run at 6.30/7 in winter and 7/7.30 in summer, the rest dont mater too much - it depends where KMA puts Krazy..please please no later than 10pm here, dear :-) 9/9.30 in winter and 9.30/10 in summer?

Tom

Let's take a step back and look at the schedule.

The F3 has always run with changing UTC times (see http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/tournament.htm)

Mini-Matches 10AM Dallas time

Mon-Thur 3/5's Noon Eastern (USA) time

The Bago as well runs with a shifting UTC time

The Tampa 7 or 5's at 9, will always run at 9PM Tampa time

Many of the above mentioned tourneys have been running for in the neighborhood of 10 years with no problems.

It seems that the countries that most fibsters are from do follow DST http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

I was surprised to see that in Australia maybe 1/2 of the area (not population density) no longer follows DST.

I think a number of people voicing opinions on this are from Europe, so maybe we need a European centric tourney.
What time (UTC) or local would be best?

Tom

diane

Tom..I love ya, ya know that right...BUUUT...

The tourneys have run, sure - no problems??? seriously...the problems with UTC were manyfold, so we dropped the UTC component, because none of us can handle it! Tourneys went back when they should have gone forth and forth when they should have gone back..incorrect times were displayed..etc etc..

We have made it easier to get right - but it isnt easy to follow [not impossible, doable]. What we have here is an improvement suggestion, which it seems a lot of us think could work. You are Mr continuous improvement - dont stop now  ;)

The opinions are coming from , are you ready..New Zealand, Australia, USA, UK and Europe [yes, I know they are the same ;)] Possibly even more...this is a global headache..honest...

The poll is running, please tell me you will consider the shift, if the majority are in favour and happy with it.

captainmubbers

The poll is running?  What poll???  Where ???

Quote from: diane on October 08, 2013, 03:28:07 AM
UK and Europe [yes, I know they are the same ;)]

How dare you, how VERY dare you  :laugh:
Riding on a high and windy day

KissMyAss

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

diane

Oh...and this is an 'all or none' scenario...if LD wont take bago to UTC, the whole shebang is unworkable - so someone get him involved and engaged  ;)

dorbel

As LuckyDice doesn't use TourneyBot and does not acknowledge the basic TPR rules, perhaps the Bago tournaments that he runs should not be part of the TPR network anyway.

Tom

Quote from: diane on October 08, 2013, 08:35:31 AM
Oh...and this is an 'all or none' scenario...if LD wont take bago to UTC, the whole shebang is unworkable - so someone get him involved and engaged  ;)

Who the HELL appointed you TourneyBot Queen?

This is NOT an all or nothing affair!

If you want the Week In/Week Out/Hump day tourneys on UTC that is FINE with me!

I can make the change right away.

But if you think we can FORCE LD or any other TD to change to UTC then you are mistaken.

I do not think  there is any reason to attempt to change the time of any tourney that has been running for almost 10 years!
It seems to be working the way it is!

Tom

diane

ok, I'm outta this conversation, I am fine as is...I do not need this crap...

dorbel

Steady Tom, you appear to be losing it. Who appointed you Tourneybot Queen if it comes to that?
What this thread has is people from every area where there are fibsters, politely and reasonably arguing for a change which they think will improve the TPR schedule.
Your main, indeed only, argument against change seems to be, "It has run fine for 10 years". The same argument can of course be applied against any change, although it does ignore the fact that nothing is so good that it can't be improved. Why don't you listen to your TDs and some of the tourney players who are the backbone of the tournaments? If they think that UTC is a good idea and it immediately simplifies the tournament calendar, why the hell not?