FIBS Tournament Schedule

Started by sixty_something, May 26, 2010, 08:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socksey

Ok, I'll pay attention next time and let you know the ones that don't tell me.   ;)

socksey

Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses. - unknown

diane

I will note which ones do and which ones dont over the coming week.

I am subscribed.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

KissMyAss

Is this some foreign fancery that one has not been informed about??       *bans diane*

No tourneys inform me upon log in about anything.   

Where and how does one "subscribe" and who must payment be sent to??   :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

Tom

TELL TOURNEYBOT SUBSCRIBE should do it

diane

Yup - he covered it...it is something that went in place a long time ago, and was more useful before some of the recent improvements came in. Specifically, it made tourneybot send you tells about tourneys registering, rather than you having to look out for shouts. Now it has all these added extras...well..for some events  ;)

KissMyAss

Thank you Tom .... *stares at diane* ....   someone's been trying to keep the secrets to herself.   Not mentioning any names that start with d and rhyme with CryAnne. 

I really think we ought to have a quiet chat about her bossman, she's always causing trouble.  Am forever banning her from my tourneys.     

:P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

diane

At yes, that well known word, CryAnne...

What can I say, how is it my fault if you don't RTFM...you are big girl who can read and write and find your own web links...life would just be dull if I told you everything....

KissMyAss

See what I mean??   

Complete lack of respect for a fellow TD.     

This is the excrement I have to put up with on a daily basis.   Its very very tough to be me at the moment, I'm tellin ya.

:P :P :P :P :P :P

Bubba

I have some questions/observations about Tourneybot, TPR, and the schedule:

The original post to this thread and the first reply both show a different tourney schedule.  I've always used the fancy one:
http://www.fibsboard.com/tourney-schedule/fibs-tournament-schedule/msg22489/#msg22489
But now I notice that they're different.  The 'image' one has 31 tourneys, and the "fancy" one just 27 (it's missing the 2 Australian Bagos, Australian Hump day, and Kiwi Konkluder)

*Is this "fancy" one obsolete?  If so, is the 'image' one in the original post always up to date?

*There are no results for the Saturday Night Fever and mini-matches tourneys on the TB results page.  Do they still exist?

*When I've played in Bagos, Tourneybot doesn't seem to be used.  It's done manually through Challonge.  Are these results included in the TPR standings?

*As far as the weekly TPR rankings go, does the week start/end with the first/last tourney on the schedule?

*I agree with the previous posts that suggest it'd be easier if all tourney times were in the same timezone format.

Thank you Tom, for TourneyBot, and to all the tourney directors.

diane

Answers, in order  ;)

The 'image one' is up to date for tourneys and times they run. The TDs arent right, but I am waiting on an official list, or a way to find that, to fix that. In the meantime, it is a good guide. We have tried a few formats to get the schedule easy to update and this one is honestly the easiest, although I know some don't agree. The word file for the image is there, anyone can download the word file, alter the schedule, screenshot the file and save as an image. That's it - easy :-) [we are limited by how posts format, the previous was a 'list', and editing it, very fiddly]. The fancy one, I have no idea how to update, so that will be out of date.
As an extra bit of information, anytime, you can send a tell to tourneybot 'tourneys', and it will tell you the next one to run, and how many hours/ minutes from your query, so you dont have to worry about timezones.

eg..You tell TourneyBot: tourneys
TourneyBot says: No matching tourneys.
TourneyBot says: Registration for Tampa Sevens at Nine opens at  8:30 PM EDT (0030 UTC) in about 2 hours and starts 30 mins later.

Saturday night fever is greyed out in the schedule, because it is no longer running. We hope to resurrect that soon. It will need a new time slot though, it currently sits on top of Tampa. Minimatches runs very well, and the answer is identical to your question about bago. Tourneybot hasnt been around for ever, and some tourneys predate the current version which can pretty much run tourneys alone [give or take extreme connection or player events]. There were tourneys run manually, Fridays3, Minimatches and Bago. They have stayed varying degrees of manual,   and the results are posted in other threads in the tourney forum. Although they are run differently, the points are imported and included in the TPR. [the TPR counts all the tourneys in the list on that post, if it is on the list, the points are included].

The tourney week starts with Tampa Fives at nine [on Sunday night in its own time zone, but running at 11am Monday here in Australia]..

It finishes with the Bloody Mary on Sunday night.

The list in the TPR post shows the progress of the tourneys, and each day, the Tampa series is the 'prompt to post', when that one finishes, Tourneybot tots up current status and posts the daily / weekly updates. The last one to run, on Sunday night in its own time zone, prompts the post, but the TPR points will not be included in that post..they will be on next weeks totals.

"You would agree that all times would be easier to follow if they were in the same format"...hmm..ok, I choose AEST. You will have to convert all the tourney times I supply manually to your time zone. Everyone not in AEST will have to do that.

Do you see the problem?   You could say I should choose UTC instead, and we considered that - it was my preferred option. Having argued for that and lost, I see now, this is much easier. The tourneys in your time zone, intended for you, are stated in your local time. The clocks supplied can be used for conversions to any others you may wish to play.

You can of course play in any tourney, dependent on your sleep [or lack thereof] cycle. The bot is there to use the command 'tourneys', so you can get the time in 'hours from now', which is by far the easiest way. You will get the hang of what is when quite quickly. You can see from the schedule the 'sequence of tourneys'..and for the TPR...if 'Week in' is running, the next is 'Krazy Kiwi' starting 2 hours later. After that is Monday Three/Five...etc.

I hope this answers your questions, and if not, please ask for clarification. We are open to improvement suggestions and welcome them - as long as it isnt something we already tried and found it didnt work  ;)

diane

Quote from: diane on October 01, 2013, 01:16:51 AM
I will note which ones do and which ones dont over the coming week.

I am subscribed.

So far they all have..but the tampa 7/9 didn't this morning..I logged in at 10.32 - I have been specifically logging in during registration to check. Was it too close to opening of registration?

socksey

Quote diane:
"Do you see the problem?   You could say I should choose UTC instead, and we considered that - it was my preferred option. Having argued for that and lost, I see now, this is much easier. The tourneys in your time zone, intended for you, are stated in your local time. The clocks supplied can be used for conversions to any others you may wish to play."

Who decided we shouldn't use UTC when that is accepted world standard for time.  I have finally figured out the schedule (I think), but it took a hell of a while to do it.  I regularly play in two of the "Aussie" tourneys because I can manage it. 

I STILL think the schedule should be in UTC time.  All the clock references online accept UTC as their reference point.  Give me an argument for the way our schedule is currently set up with all those different confusing times.   :blink:

socksey

Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions. ~ Dag Hammarskjold

diane

Quote from: socksey on October 05, 2013, 06:57:00 AM
Who decided we shouldn't use UTC when that is accepted world standard for time.  I have finally figured out the schedule (I think), but it took a hell of a while to do it.  I regularly play in two of the "Aussie" tourneys because I can manage it.  

I STILL think the schedule should be in UTC time.  All the clock references online accept UTC as their reference point.  Give me an argument for the way our schedule is currently set up with all those different confusing times.   :blink:

The decision was sixtie and Tom when formalising the TPR, I think there is also a vote out there..The rationale is stated in the first post of this thread with the schedule.

I would really prefer not to go around this again, I argued my case, lost and have got my head around this. Chopping and changing is the most confusing aspect to trying to manage tourney times.

I am certainly not updating the schedule yet again.

Can you not cope with the 'tourneys' command? Or is the problem with setting your alarm clock to attend every single tournament?  :laugh:

diane

This was posted in the virtual world, as an analogy for the current breakdown in the American government.

QuoteSo, Imagine that the company you work for held a poll, and asked everyone if they thought it would be a good idea to put a soda machine in the break room. The poll came back, and the majority of your colleagues said "Yes", indicating that they would like a soda machine. Some said no, but the majority said yes. So, a week later, there's a soda machine. Now imagine that Bill in accounting voted against the soda machine. He has a strong hatred for caffeinated soft drinks, thinks they are bad you you, whatever. He campaigns throughout the office to get the machine removed. Well, management decides "OK, we'll ask again" and again, the majority of people say "Yes, lets keep the soda machine." Bill continues to campaign, and management continues to ask the employees, and every time, the answer is in favor of the soda machine. This happens, lets say... 35 times. Eventually, Bill says "OK, I'M NOT PROCESSING PAYROLL ANYMORE UNTIL THE SODA MACHINE IS REMOVED", so nobody will get paid unless management removes the machine. What should we do???

Answer: Fire Bill and get someone who will do the fucking job.

Bonus: Bill tells everyone that he was willing to "Negotiate", to come to a solution where everyone got their payroll checks, but only so long as that negotiation capitulated to his demand to remove the soda machine.

Bill is a fucking jackass.

I feel like we do this a lot here...I wonder if there is a connection...

jeeves

Hehehe, sounds familiar  :)

Although I think it was before my time at FIBS, I'd imagine that the local times were preferred for one or two reasons I can think of, namely that it would stop the schedule having to be updated every time local time changed (if it was still being run on local time) or to stop the tourney start times from changing twice a year (if it was being run on UTC time - this might have proved unpopular with players and TMs alike).

dorbel

The change to daylight saving worldwide isn't simultaneous, nor is it universal. Timing events in UTC is less confusing on that score.
The fact that some people would not be able to play and/or direct for part of the year if timing was UTC is clear, but of course as things stand, using local times means that some tournaments are unavailable to some players for all the year! If the KKK started at 1200 UTC for example, I would at least be able to play in it during the winter, rather than never being able to play in it at all. This must apply to many people. There is no one right answer for everybody here. UTC would be more inconvenient for TDs than anybody else I think, but as tourneybot now does 95% of the work, perhaps that isn't such a problem.

Nobody is holding anybody to ransom over this issue, so diane's little story is not really apposite here.

I vote for UTC.

diane

Not on this issue..yet...it certainly has happened.

The changing of the schedule, something like 4 times per year [different countries change at different times] for daylight savings changes was definitely a bit part of the rationale, yes. Thanks for remembering that.

Tom

Bubba,

Since the Saturday Night Fever has not run in a long time it can be removed, it has not run in over a year, so clearly is not part of any 'regularly run' tourney

Humm no results for minimatches? It is likely an oversight by me!
I can fix that pretty easily!

Now as far as the timezones in the schedule it boils down to this:

We had to edit the schedule (both here and in TourneyBot) and often there was confusion or errors,
so I added Timezones and automatic Daylight savings time adjustment in the bot so poof problem was fixed.

Then each tourney director selected what timezone their tourney was associated with and we have been running this way ever since.

Tom
ps. Bubba what is your FIBS name? I see this is your FIRST post here... so who are you?

Tom

Quote from: dorbel on October 05, 2013, 10:12:23 AM
I vote for UTC.

A number of people wanted UTC, but since I run the bot and could add DST support we did not go that way.

It was for one simple reason, the Mon-Thur 3/5's are during my lunch hour.
If we went to UTC I would likely only be able to play for 1/2 the year...

I was NOT going to let THAT happen!

LOL

Tom

socksey

I certainly would not want to make more work for anyone.  It was just that my suggestion to use worldclock.com is sort of takes the work out of all that figuring of time and time change as well.  I can see the battle is lost so now, I'll stfu. ;)))

socksey

What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~ George Eliot (or, in my case, the opposite)  ;)))