News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

Why isn't FIBS so popular? Any suggestions

Started by Yvon, May 27, 2010, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yvon

#1) It is the ONE AND ONLY server that lets you evaluate your strength (and hence your rating) with absolutely no limits. If we compare Fibs to Yahoo or the Play65 both of those limit their rating to 2500 which is about equal to 1700-1800 Fibs rating. Once you reach  this rating you have no other option than abandon the place. They won't let you go any further. Similar things happen at MSN zone in a slightly different manner.There the server choses the opponent for you. Once you reach 2200 you may have to wait for a whole day for the server to give you an opponent of equal strength, so no other option is left, than leave that place as well.

#2)You cannot cheat at Fibs. At Yahoo there are cheaters who use various software usually to knock you out by consuming your timing. Playing at Yayoo you may end up with a list of 40-60 gagged cheaters. In Play65 there are cheaters who again use software to play between themselves. Withing half an hour they get as many rating points as they like... MSN zone detects cheaters very successfully though and  knocks them out successfully.

#3)Really strong bots at Fibs. This can be seen as both an advantage AND a disadvantage. An advantage because one can play at top level with a machine. Disantvantages: First of all they scare the hell weak and intermediate players.It raises suspicion to top rated players as to how a machine could be stronger than top rated human players. Raises questions as to what are they there for? One can only assume they are there to improve the databases/playing Engines of already commercially  available BG programs, but then again improve what? It is already established they play better (?) than the best humans...

#4) The "save games" option: As far as I know FIBS is the only server where you can save and resume a match anytime you like. This is a big plus. On other sites once you abandon a match you lose it.

#5)To many interfaces, too many board styles, too many animation and sound effects to use. Compared with only one of other sites. For example I just couldn't play at Play65 simply because the pips animation (moving of pips ) was extremely fast for me to follow. Nothing of the sort of anmation on Msn or on Fibs using 3Dfibs...

There is only one (?) real disadvantage at FIBS.
The lag problem: From as long as I remember Fibs had a serious lag problem. Although I heard from other players that the old (pentium 4?) server has been replaced, the lag problem still exists and makes you fall asleep rather than enjoy the full excitement of a game.

Now considering all the above pluses FIBS should actually have been the real TOP online backgammon server available wouldn't you agree?

However let's face it: the participation at FIBS is extremely low. Once you log in there there are about 100-150 players.This is just a small percentage compared to the participation at the 3 other sites I mentioned before. I was surprised the other day to notice that even the Netgammon site which is free only for one pointer not rated games has more participation than Fibs! Out of that very low number of participants at Fibs, about 10 are bots, about 10 are just logged in without accepting invitations, about 10 are just watching others, and about 8 are playing with bots. So what's left if you want to play with humans of about equal strength to yours? Some 3-4 players, usually the same persons... In the end you get embarassed beating or been beaten by the same persons all the time.

So what is the problem with Fibs? What would you suggest to make it the real TOP online backgammon server with the highest possible number of participants?

NB. Surely the lag problem must disappear completely. We need fast response to get the excitement of the game. I have 2 more suggestions that I will post later.In the meantime please free to provide your own.

ah_clem

Quote from: Yvon on May 27, 2010, 03:49:24 PM

So what is the problem with Fibs? What would you suggest to make it the real TOP online backgammon server with the highest possible number of participants?

The number one suggestion would be to eliminate the droppers.  Patti has been making progress in that regard lately.

The number two suggestion is to lower the amount of "assholism" on shouts, but again progress is being made on that front too.

As for it having the highest number of participants, who cares?  I'm much more interested in quality play than ten thousand clueless phone users.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with fibs (except for those damn dice when I lose).  I'd like a better client  e.g. the look and animation of 3DFibs with the better features of JavaFibs, but that's not a FIBS thing per se. I'd like to be able to analyze matches that have been interrupted, but again this is probably a client thing.

Yvon

Quote from: ah_clem on May 27, 2010, 04:48:03 PM
The number one suggestion would be to eliminate the droppers.  Patti has been making progress in that regard lately.

The number two suggestion is to lower the amount of "assholism" on shouts, but again progress is being made on that front too.

As for it having the highest number of participants, who cares?  I'm much more interested in quality play than ten thousand clueless phone users.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with fibs (except for those damn dice when I lose).  I'd like a better client  e.g. the look and animation of 3DFibs with the better features of JavaFibs, but that's not a FIBS thing per se. I'd like to be able to analyze matches that have been interrupted, but again this is probably a client thing.

My friend  it seems you haven't seen the amount of "asshoism" on other sites.Tons of it. Of course your suggestion remains good and valid.

Could you elaborate on what you meant by "damn dice" or was that actually a joke?

ah_clem

Quote from: Yvon on May 27, 2010, 08:53:37 PM
My friend  it seems you haven't seen the amount of "asshoism" on other sites.Tons of it. Of course your suggestion remains good and valid.

Oh, I've seen it.  Believe me, I've seen much worse.

Quote from: Yvon on May 27, 2010, 08:53:37 PM
Could you elaborate on what you meant by "damn dice" or was that actually a joke?

It was a joke.  (c: 

Patti

The primary reason is that FIBS has never made an effort to be large.  It's essentially a community site that operates with word-of-mouth publicity.  It has no commercial backer and no revenue stream other than the occasional donation, and there isn't really much incentive to make it hugely popular.

Yvon

Quote from: Patti on May 28, 2010, 12:09:07 AM
The primary reason is that FIBS has never made an effort to be large.  It's essentially a community site that operates with word-of-mouth publicity.  It has no commercial backer and no revenue stream other than the occasional donation, and there isn't really much incentive to make it hugely popular.

Nevertheless the low participation is a problem as I described before unless of course I am the only one who thinks so, in which case i rest my case... Wouldn't you like it to become if not huge at least double? Wouldn't that increase donations as well? Besides I don't think the major way of finding out about Fibs is by world of mouth, how about Google, as far as i know it always appears among the first 10 or so.

Yvon

Anyway one of my suggestions is to introduce the option to play unrated games. Judging from other online backgammon sites it seems there are a lot of people who like to play unrated games (about 50% at yahoo e.g)
Going through this forum i think I 've read somewhere that bots will no longer play low rating players, so unrated games could probably be a good alternative.

diane

Quote from: Yvon on May 28, 2010, 08:58:30 AM
I don't think the major way of finding out about Fibs is by world of mouth, how about Google

That is how I found it  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

RickrInSF

Although there are 100-200 people on fibs at any one time, there are far less that i want to play with :0  I think a higher number of people would only mean there were more people that i would NOT want to play.

garp_02

My own reason for joining Fibs was the League set-up.

I have played on a few different sites; Yahoo was my first when I started playing the game - a few others such as Play65, Partygammon and IBA.  I'm not too keen on the money sites as I'm not totally convinced that the dice cannot be manipulated.

I enjoy the challenge of the League system here and trying to improve my rating. 

It's far from perfect and the lobby area leaves a lot to be desired but hey, it's better than many alternatives.

Cheers,

Garp

Tomawaky

There is one thing missing at fibs for me : The clock.
It could be interesting to play with clock sometimes
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

socksey

Quote from: Tomawaky on May 28, 2010, 09:10:22 PM
There is one thing missing at fibs for me : The clock.
It could be interesting to play with clock sometimes

Do you mean timed plays within a game?  That would be nice except there would have to be a timeout function that either player could use for emergencies or for mutual agreed upon breaks.   :laugh:

I found Fibs first by searching backgammon and that led me to the first one, which was Fibs.  I've tried most of the others and always come back to Fibs.  It's my home away from home, so to speak.   :)

I don't want Fibs to become more popular because of the lag problem we have handling more users.   :mellow:  I find the phone users a nuisance and way too numerous.   :cry:  Nothing personal.  I'm just saying it like it is.   :yes:

socksey

"Beauty parlor: a place where women curl up and dye." - Anonymous

sorrytigger

I personally rate fibs high and above all others.

Only 10 bots, but lots of humans, strange ones, funny ones, very good ones (as far as BG-skill is concernded), dear ones, queer ones.

Lot's of phone users, but I know how to avoid them.

People from Europe, Australia, America, Asia.
Funny shouts
Annoying shouts

Man, it's great
I love it

Keep going, fibsters

Andy

socksey

I split a topic here which was off this topic to:  http://www.fibsboard.com/f-i-b-s-general-support/chouette/new/#new

Thanks to sorrytigger!   :)

socksey

"Chickens: the only animals you eat before they are born and after they are dead." - Anonymous

sixty_something

popularity is not all it is cracked up to be .. if FIBS were more popular, i.e. larger, it would most likely lose a lot of the "community" feel it has .. additionally, larger would most likely mean commercial sponsorships .. i can live without that just fine .. i found FIBS by using Google .. since it was the "First" i tried it first and have never tried another .. i really like the volunteer spirit of all who administer the site and FIBSboard not to mention FibsLeagueGammon, FIBS-O-NACCI, dedicated TD's, and those who maintain and develop bots .. most users probably have no idea how much work is involved and how many people are involved in various ways, but therein is another wonderful aspect of our little community

so, i am a very happy camper in FIBSland .. so happy i could shout it - whoops, i forgot my shouts are currently disabled for reasons even Patti doesn't fully understand - now that is a scary thought :unhappy:
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

Tomawaky

Nothing compare to Fibs  :cool:
This is my BG home and I have tested many other sites. But Fibs was the first and Hope it will stay also first in my heart for long
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

anchordraw

I play on my phone and love it.  Network lag, but I don't know if it is my phone or Fibs.  I don't seem to get lag when playing the bots.

rebcalale

Quote from: Yvon on May 27, 2010, 03:49:24 PM
#1) It is the ONE AND ONLY server that lets you evaluate your strength (and hence your rating) with absolutely no limits. If we compare Fibs to Yahoo or the Play65 both of those limit their rating to 2500 which is about equal to 1700-1800 Fibs rating. Once you reach  this rating you have no other option than abandon the place. They won't let you go any further. Similar things happen at MSN zone in a slightly different manner.There the server choses the opponent for you. Once you reach 2200 you may have to wait for a whole day for the server to give you an opponent of equal strength, so no other option is left, than leave that place as well.

#2)You cannot cheat at Fibs. At Yahoo there are cheaters who use various software usually to knock you out by consuming your timing. Playing at Yayoo you may end up with a list of 40-60 gagged cheaters. In Play65 there are cheaters who again use software to play between themselves. Withing half an hour they get as many rating points as they like... MSN zone detects cheaters very successfully though and  knocks them out successfully.

#3)Really strong bots at Fibs. This can be seen as both an advantage AND a disadvantage. An advantage because one can play at top level with a machine. Disantvantages: First of all they scare the hell weak and intermediate players.It raises suspicion to top rated players as to how a machine could be stronger than top rated human players. Raises questions as to what are they there for? One can only assume they are there to improve the databases/playing Engines of already commercially  available BG programs, but then again improve what? It is already established they play better (?) than the best humans...

#4) The "save games" option: As far as I know FIBS is the only server where you can save and resume a match anytime you like. This is a big plus. On other sites once you abandon a match you lose it.

#5)To many interfaces, too many board styles, too many animation and sound effects to use. Compared with only one of other sites. For example I just couldn't play at Play65 simply because the pips animation (moving of pips ) was extremely fast for me to follow. Nothing of the sort of anmation on Msn or on Fibs using 3Dfibs...

There is only one (?) real disadvantage at FIBS.
The lag problem: From as long as I remember Fibs had a serious lag problem. Although I heard from other players that the old (pentium 4?) server has been replaced, the lag problem still exists and makes you fall asleep rather than enjoy the full excitement of a game.

Now considering all the above pluses FIBS should actually have been the real TOP online backgammon server available wouldn't you agree?

However let's face it: the participation at FIBS is extremely low. Once you log in there there are about 100-150 players.This is just a small percentage compared to the participation at the 3 other sites I mentioned before. I was surprised the other day to notice that even the Netgammon site which is free only for one pointer not rated games has more participation than Fibs! Out of that very low number of participants at Fibs, about 10 are bots, about 10 are just logged in without accepting invitations, about 10 are just watching others, and about 8 are playing with bots. So what's left if you want to play with humans of about equal strength to yours? Some 3-4 players, usually the same persons... In the end you get embarassed beating or been beaten by the same persons all the time.

NB. Surely the lag problem must disappear completely. We need fast response to get the excitement of the game. I have 2 more suggestions that I will post later.In the meantime please free to provide your own.

Let me begin by asking a simple question R U ON DRUGS?  If you don't see why fibs is not more popular you are a very and let me make this clear, VERY POOR PLAYER.    Fibs is not popular as it might be because it is not a legit site.  I'm sure your have heard this before but I will say it anyway.   FIbs does not have  a legitimate RNG roller and guess what; until it gets one no one will take the site seriously.  Sorry all the excuses are just that, excuses.  When fibs gets a legit RNG to generate rolls it might have a chance but until that happens it will never be considered a real BG site.

Sure you will see big time players on the site but only to test worst case scenarios.  There is no way the FIbs RNG is legit.   If u doubt this just keep statistics and u will very quickly realize  just how accurate I am.  If you are a fibs diehard,  sadness must be a big part of your life.  On fibs that is all that is left.

socksey

Quote from: Yvon on May 28, 2010, 09:22:53 AM
Anyway one of my suggestions is to introduce the option to play unrated games. Judging from other online backgammon sites it seems there are a lot of people who like to play unrated games (about 50% at yahoo e.g)
Going through this forum i think I 've read somewhere that bots will no longer play low rating players, so unrated games could probably be a good alternative.

There is an unlimited option that could be used for that.   :happy: 

Note to rebcalale:  Get real!  You R on drugs!  :lol:

socksey

"God knows I gave my best in baseball at all times and no man on earth can truthfully judge me otherwise." - from American baseball player "Shoeless" Joe Jackson born in 1888

Bones

I just googled "free online backgammon," and the first hit is, of all things, Nabiscoworld.com.  Looks like you get to play a flash game against a bot  -- or maybe it's an elf.  Which brings me to my great idea for making Fibs more popular:  Free cookies for everybody!!!
There is NO rule six!