News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2012 cheers!
..thx Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, aviator, r_monk ,captainmubbers,Tom roygbiv*, anonymous and yyy

Main Menu

SWEET & SOUR BALTI CHICKEN

Started by garp_02, June 30, 2010, 03:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garp_02

One of my favourite Indian style dishes.

Sweet and Sour Balti Chicken

Serves 2 (or one greedy sod).

INGREDIENTS

3 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp natural yogurt
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tbsp mango chutney
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
2 chicken breast fillets
150ml water
1 tbsp dried coriander
2tbsp single cream

METHOD

1/ Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks and fry in a wok or deep frying pan with 1 tsp of the garlic until the chicken starts to brown.
2/ Meanwhile, blend together the tomato puree, yogurt, garam masala, chilli powder, remaining garlic, mango chutney, salt, sugar and half of the water. (I use a hand blender).
3/ When the chicken has started to brown, add the above mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
4/ Add the rest of the water to thin the sauce (you may need to add more depending on your preference). Simmer for another 15 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is to your desired consistency.
5/ Add the cream and coriander - mix well and simmer for a few minutes.

Serve with naan bread or basmati rice.

socksey

There are 3 items in this recipe that I am unfamiliar with.  I may or may not be able to find them in okihoma. ;)))  I'll try, tho.  Sounds good.   :yes:

socksey

"We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect their parents. They are rude and impatient. They frequently inhabit taverns and have no self control." - Inscription on a 6,000 year-old Egyptian tomb; quoted by American visionary, R Buckminster Fuller

ah_clem

Quote from: socksey on July 01, 2010, 11:10:57 PM
There are 3 items in this recipe that I am unfamiliar with. 

Chicken?  Yogurt?  Garlic?

diane

Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

:lol:  Right!  :lol:

socksey

"I have not a particle of confidence I am a man who has no redeeming vices." – Mark Twain

sixty_something

i can assure you that if i asked "Where is the garam masala?", i'd get a strange look at best  :o

i might have a small chance with mango chutney, but i doubt it

regardless it does sound good, especially after i looked up garam masala
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

socksey

Actually, I had a problem with "single cream".  Is that pure cream, half and half, or what?  I also doubt I would find mango chutney but I might make that myself, and I might concoct the garam marsala also, but doubt I would find it on a shelf somewhere here.   :(

socksey

"Years ago, fairy tales all began with Once upon a time... now we know they all begin with, If I am elected." - Carolyn Warner

diane

It is probably closest to half and half - just something to add to make the dish creamy in texture.

Other things that work are condensed milk - but that can make it a bit sweet.

Can you get something like this?

http://www.philadelphiacreamcheese.com.au/products/cream-for-cooking.aspx?247SEM

garp_02

Can give a recipe for the garam masala which is way better than any store-bought if necessary  :)

socksey

Please, do, garp_02!   :yes:

socksey

"The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it." - Franklin P. Jones

garp_02

Only problem is...........if you don't have a store which sells garam masala, it's unlikely you will have one which sells the spices to make it :)

diane

It is something which you should be able to buy over the internet - larger American cities will have it.

A very quick look finds this company..

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/US/garam-masala-powder.html