News:

want some cool sounds while you browse the boards.... see the new collapsable web radio section on the LHS, below birthdays, on the Front page

Main Menu

"Favorite Pasta"

Started by jackdaddy, July 02, 2010, 11:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackdaddy

This is a dish I've made for the last 15-20 years. Used to puree it for the kids when they were infants. The name "favorite pasta" came from them...

Ingredients:

1    lb                                  penne pasta
1/3 lb                                  chopped pancetta
handful                                pinenuts
loads                                   minced garlic
1/4 to 1/3 cup                       chopped sun-dried tomatoes
as little/much as you like        broccoli cut into florets
                                          olive oil
                                          vodka (I use Sky)
                                          good quality parmesan

Start a large pot of water boiling. Saute pancetta in a large pan until crisp. Transfer to paper towel. Remove pancetta grease except for a couple of tablespoons. Add some olive oil. Add pinenuts. Saute until toasted (be careful, once they start to brown they go quickly). Add cooked pancetta, some garlic, and the sun-dried tomatoes. Add vodka and simmer until the alcohol has evaporated. Cook the pasta according to directions. Add the broccoli for the last 2 minutes. Add a few tablespoons of the pasta water to the pan. Drain pasta and broccoli and add to the pancetta mixture. Add some more olive oil and garlic and toss. Add parmesan to taste at the table. Bon appetit...

moonshadow123

This looks pretty good and something I think I will try. More importantly, it looks like its quick to make.

One question-- what's the difference if I don't use the vodka? I don't really drink vodka and don't want to buy a whole bottle just to use in the recipe if its not going to make that much difference.

On second thought I guess I could make a molotov cocktail out of the rest of the bottle and toss it in the chat lobby--you know, clean it up a little bit.

jackdaddy

The vodka isn't necessary, but does a lot to enhance and blend the flavors together. You can also deglaze the pan with white wine or vinegar. Not sure how this would affect the final product.

mattblackmatt

X8 pax

100g pistachios finely chopped
4 banana shallot
20g butter
700g peas
300g shelled and skinned broad beans
Zest of a couple of lemons
350 ml double cream
20g chopped mint leaves
100g parmesam
800g fresh pasta ribbons
Poached eggs

Roast the pistachios.
Fry shallots till translucent in the butter.
Add peas and beans and 350g water cook 4 mins.
Stir in nuts and lemon zest.
Add cream and crush the peas and beans a little.
Simmer 2 mins.
Add mint and parmesan.
Cook pasta, drain and add sauce.
Top with poached egg.

vegasvic

Try this if you do not have heart issues !!

You Will Need
1/2 pound spaghetti or linguini
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 egg whites, whisked
2 unbroken egg yolks
salt and pepper

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook pasta according to package directions.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook until it has rendered it's fat and is crisp. Transfer bacon to a plate then discard enough bacon fat so that two tablespoons is left in the pan.

Scoop out 1/4 cup of pasta water then drain pasta.
Add pan with bacon fat back on the heat then add reserved pasta water and pasta to pan with bacon fat, toss and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat then add 1/2 cup of the cheese, egg whites and freshly ground pepper then toss until well mixed.

Divide pasta between 2 bowls, make a nest in the middle then gently side an egg yolk into each nest. Top with the remaining cheese, bacon and an extra sprinkle of freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.

PS i use apple smoked bacon or guanciale (cheek of the pig )