News:

we need 2 or 3 small donations a month, and an ad or 2 each month, consistently over the year, to keep the board going.....http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Three/Fives Tournament of Champions

Started by sixty_something, September 12, 2010, 10:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

3/5 TOC

FIBS newest championship series, the Three/Fives Tournament of Champions (3/5 TOC), is an invitation only tournament open to winners of any of the following weekly tournaments from June 1 to September 20, 2010:

The official TourneyBot Standings for these tourneys can be found at the FIBSboard threads above. The Three/Five series of tournaments is a long running series of weekly tourneys run automatically at FIBS by TourneyBot. The date range for this first 3/5 TOC corresponds to a 16 week period beginning on the dates I began reporting weekly winners here at FIBSboard. Yes, that is an arbitrary time frame and a lot of previous Three/Five winners are left out, but, for now, we'll consider that the Three/Fives preseason. Congratulations to all you preseason winners, you laid the foundation for the Three/Five series and now the 3/5 TOC.

3/5 TOC SEASON

For now, we'll define a 3/5 TOC season as a 16 week period which includes 64 winners of weekly tournaments. The TOC will be played with 4 Divisions, creatively named the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday Divisions. In order to accommodate multiple winners in each division, a division will consist of two brackets, or two TourneyBot tourneys, with 8 players in each selected randomly from the field of division winners. Winners of two or more weekly events will receive two invitations to each division. Winners of three or four or more events will receive a first round bye for one or both of their entries. Otherwise, seeding within a tournament bracket will be random.

Making sense so far? Well, it does to me, your 3/5 TOC TD. I have bounced the idea off a few other FIBSters and TD's who all seem to like it. Most importantly, Tom, the founder of the Three/Five series of tourneys, has enthusiastically blessed the idea. More importantly, Tom, who maintains and continues to develop TourneyBot at FIBS, assures me that TourneyBot can handle creating and running a tourney like this.

INVITATIONS

So, if you have won a Three/Five tourney in the last 15 weeks (since the first week of June), you will soon be receiving an invitation to join in the 3/5 TOC. Tourney numbers for each division and invitations will be communicated via FIBS messages.

If you haven't won a Three/Five tourney yet, we are now playing Week 15 of the Monday Three/Five. All other Three/Fives are in their 16Th and final week of the season. So, join us this week and win for your invitation to what will be another interesting and exciting FIBS tourney with excellent bragging rights for the division winners.

The division winners will meet in a four player double elimination tourney for the championship. All matches in each bracket will be 3-point matches and 5-point finals -- what else for the Three/Fives Tournament of Champions.

Brackets for each division will be announced here during the next few days. Announcements of eligibility have been sent via FIBS messages. Invitations with specific TourneyBot tourney numbers will be sent withing the next few days. So, ladies and gentlemen prepare to shake your dice cups for another fun filled FIBS tourney.

START DATE

Play will start in each division no later than September 27 or when brackets fill. Once a bracket is started, players will be advised of their next opponent by TourneyBot. Scheduling of each match will be at both players convenience. All matches must be played at FIBS. Any match played between the two players of the length specified by TourneyBot for this tournament will be used as the match for this tournament round. Thus, if a match between two players is scheduled for the 3/5 TOC, a weekly Monday Three/Five or any other tournament, for example, may also represent a championship match.

If questions arise during the tourney, you may ask them here or leave me a message at FIBS if I am not logged in.

Good luck and congratulations to all eligible entrants for this new championship series. If you missed this one, play in the weekly Three/Fives will continue. Win one and become eligible for the next 3/5 TOC.
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

sixty_something

Q & A

Q: Do I have to register or is that automatic?
A: Yes, you will be advised of the tourney number(s) you qualified for and must register with TourneyBot. Play will begin no later than Monday, 27-Sep, in all divisions or whenever your bracket fills.

Q: Will I be messaged about who my opponent is or do I need to watch FIBSboard?
A: Yes, TourneyBot will advise you who your opponent is for each round and the match length each time you log in. Don't be concerned if you do not receive a pairing immediately, as your next opponent may not yet be determined. Once a pairing is assigned, it will then be up to you and your opponent to arrange your match within a 3-5 day time period.

Q: Is there a specific start time for the tourney?
A: No, the 3/5 TOC is an open ended tourney that will run over several weeks. Players do not have to be on-line at any specified time to start their first match or any subsequent matches. All matches are scheduled by players as their TourneyBot pairings are announced. Once a match of the specified length is started between those two players, it will be automatically registered with TourneyBot as the "official" 3/5 TOC round and the results will be reported to TourneyBot.

Q: How long will the 3/5 TOC take to complete?
A: A safe answer would be two to six weeks for completion, but really there is no way to anticipate or even estimate an exact date. Up to 64 players competing in four divisions are eligible for the TOC. Since each division is broken into two 8-player brackets, three rounds will be necessary to determine a winner in each bracket. Play should progress quickly for these first few rounds and be completed in one to two weeks or less. Once each bracket is completed, the bracket winners will meet in a 5-point match for the Division Championship. This match will not be scheduled or announced by TourneyBot. It will be announced here at FIBSboard and scheduled by the players involved. Allow another week to complete those four matches. Finally, the four Division Champions will meet in a TourneyBot Double Elimination tourney for the overall championship.  A four player double elimination bracket will require 4 to 5 rounds to complete. Thus, another week or two may be required. Of course, play may progress much more rapidly and bring the tourney to completion in much less time. Additional time may be required if there is an unanticipated delay.

Q: What if I am unable to schedule a match with my opponent?
A: Generally, this is not a problem as most matches are played within a day or two of being announced. It is your responsibility as a registered TOC player to schedule your match as soon as possible and to complete it within no more than 3-5 days after the pairing is announced by TourneyBot. If you are unable to communicate with your opponent at FIBS to schedule a match, it is your responsibility to communicate with the TD in a FIBS Message or Tell advising him of the situation. If the match has not been played within 5 days, the TD may AWARD the match as he sees fit. TourneyBot will start a 7 day clock immediately upon the announcement of a pairing and will automatically AWARD the match after 7 days. The TD may use the clock in determining to whom a match may be AWARDed, but it may not be the sole criteria used. If a vacation or work schedule prevents you from scheduling a match within this time frame, the time may be extended at the discretion of the TD.

Q: Can I check on the status of other matches in my bracket?
A: Yes, TourneyBot has several commands that enable you to see all matches pending or in progress: ROUND, CURRENT, MATCHES and STANDINGS. For details of these commands, type 'Tell TourneyBot Help <Command>'. You may examine any TourneyBot tourney with these commands

Q: What if TourneyBot is off-line or does not correctly report the match results?
A: TourneyBot is rarely off-line except for maintenance which seldom takes long. Additionally, TourneyBot has a new feature which detects when it has lost connection or becomes stuck and will automatically re-load typically within 5-7 minutes. If your match results are not reported correctly to TourneyBot, simply advise the TD of your match score and TourneyBot will be updated.
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC Brackets

Seed Order
Seeds are random except for multiple winners who receive the top seeds in each bracket. Byes, if available, will be awarded by TourneyBot in seed order. Please check your registration and seed order with the TourneyBot command TOURNEY ####, using your tourney number(s). Once play is started, all pairings as determined by TourneyBot are final. As players register, I will boldface their names in the lists below. Round 1 pairings in each bracket will be announced by TourneyBot as it fills or closes no later than Monday, 27-Sep.

Division Brackets
Tuesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3593): rif_raf aviator sixtie marstem miccimalou socksey inim naavanaxx
Beta Bracket (#3594):rif_raf aviator palladin macmom tom jackdaddy kthulin mmh

Wednesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3597): sixtie miccimalou zonga persianlord millennium mafalda jonprud palladin
Beta Bracket (#3598):sixtie sackofjaweea inim blotsalot sunray socksey jpb

Thursday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3601): aviator sixtie rollingfool austin bifz donzabackgame lisas
Beta Bracket (#3602):aviator perhof ciccione miccimalou jackdaddy macmom backgamother

Monday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3603): tom kent yoyo jpb aviator blitzxz sunray yonay
Beta Bracket (#3604):tom kent yoyo qizwiz silent_greek ciccione paf linus

:thumbsup2: Many thanks to Krazula who, after asking an innocent question about the TOC when it was first announced, volunteered to help by compiling the list of Three/Fives winners which I used to get this tourney off the ground. Your help was timely and most appreciated.
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC Brackets Open for Registration

The brackets for ALL Divisions for the Three/Fives Tournament of Champions have opened for registration. If you qualified as a winner of one or more Three/Fives since June 1, you will receive a reminder to register each time you log in at FIBS. Registration will close Monday night, 27-Sep, for ALL Divisions. Forty six (46) of sixty one (61) eligible players have registered to date. Several divisions are within a player or two of being filled.

Play will begin when the 8-player brackets close or fill. Brackets and seed order are in the following post.

TourneyBot will announce pairings when available once play starts. Players are expected to schedule their own matches and complete them within 3-5 days. If necessary, extentions will be granted by the TD.

Good luck to all eligible players. If you didn't earn a spot into this event, winners of the next 16 weekly Three/Fives and in each Division will win a place in the 3/5 TOC II.
e-mail me

sixty_something

Registration Deadline Approaching

If you qualified as a winner of one or more Three/Fives since June 1, the deadline to register for the 3/5 TOC is approaching.  

Registration will close Monday night (about 9 PM Texas time), 27-Sep, for ALL Divisions. Forty seven (47) of sixty one (61) eligible players have registered to date. Four (4) players have not logged in since the tourney was announced. The remaining have received invitations to register from TourneyBot when they log in, but have not yet registered.

Play will begin when the 8-player brackets close or fill. Several divisions are within a player or two of being filled.

TourneyBot will announce pairings as available once play starts. Players are expected to schedule their own matches and complete them within 3-5 days. If necessary, extentions will be granted by the TD.
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC Bracket Pairings and Results

Forty eight (48) players registered for the 61 eligible positions in our first Three/Fives Tournament of Champions. Players will have 3-5 days to arrange and complete their matches. Initial pairings will be posted and updated daily as play progresses. All pairings in each bracket will be managed by TourneyBot. Players will be advised when you login of your next pairing as soon as it is determined.

Seed Order
Seeds are random except for multiple winners in each division who received the top seeds in each bracket. Byes, if available, were awarded by TourneyBot in seed order. Round 1 pairings in each bracket were announced by TourneyBot Monday night about 9 PM CDT, 27-Sep, about 0200 UTC (Tuesday).

e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC Pairings and Results - Day 4

Players will have 3-5 days to arrange and complete their matches from the first date and time the pairing is announced. All pairings in each bracket will be managed by TourneyBot. Players will be advised when you login of your next pairing as soon as it is determined. Round 1 pairings in each bracket were announced by TourneyBot Monday night about 9 PM CDT, 27-Sep, about 0200 UTC (Tuesday). Clock settings can be reviewed for any bracket with the TourneyBot command CLOCKS nnnn.

Division Brackets and Pairings
The pairing and match results below will be updated once daily about 7 AM CDT or Noon UTC. Official pairings and results are available at any time by using the TourneyBot ROUND command -- TELL TOURNEYBOT ROUND x TOURNEY nnnn

Each bracket will consist of three single elimination rounds, i.e. lose and you are knocked out of that bracket. Rounds one and two are 3-point matches. The final round will be a 5-point match to determine the two Division Finalists who will meet in a 5-point match to determine the division winner. That match will not be automatcially scheduled by TourneyBot and must be scheduled between the two players within the 3-5 day window for completing matches. The results of that final round should be reported to the TD.

Four division winners will then meet in the TOC Finals which will be a Double Elimination tourney managed by TourneyBot with 3-point matches and a 5-point final round or rounds, if necessary.

Good luck to all and enjoy our first Three/Fives Tournament of Champions!

Tuesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3593):
rif_raf aviator sixtie marstem miccimalou socksey naavanaxx
Round 1 (match length: 3):
MarStem (1807) def. Miccimalou (1584) 6-1
Naavanaxx (1555) def. aviator (1666) 5-2
sixtie (1721) def. socksey (1600) 5-1
3 out of 3 completed.

Round 2 (match length: 3):
MarStem (1807) def. rif_raf (1448) 4-1
Naavanaxx (1555) vs. sixtie (1721)
1 out of 2 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3594): rif_raf aviator macmom tom jackdaddy
jackdaddy (1683) def. Tom (1672) 3-0
1 out of 1 completed.

rif_raf (1448) vs. jackdaddy (1683)
aviator (1666) vs. MacMom (1454)
0 out of 2 completed.

Wednesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3597):
sixtie miccimalou persianlord millennium jonprud
millennium (1711) vs. JonPrud (1622)
0 out of 1 completed.

sixtie (1721) vs. [winner of millennium (1711) vs. JonPrud (1622)]
PersianLord (1830) def. Miccimalou (1584) 4-0
1 out of 2 completed.

Round 3 (match length: 5):
PersianLord (1830) vs. To-be-determined
0 out of 1 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3598): sixtie sackofjaweea blotsalot sunray socksey jpb
sunray (1716) vs. socksey (1600)
blotsalot (1821) def. jpb (1872) 12-0
1 out of 2 completed.

sixtie (1721) vs. [winner of sunray (1716) vs. socksey (1600)]
sackofjaweea (1713) vs. blotsalot (1821)
0 out of 2 completed.

Thursday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3601):
aviator sixtie rollingfool austin bifz
bifz (1584) def. austin (1947) 3-2
1 out of 1 completed.

aviator (1666) vs. bifz (1584)
sixtie (1721) def. rollingfool (1580) 3-2
1 out of 2 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3602): aviator perhof miccimalou jackdaddy macmom backgamother
jackdaddy (1685) def. MacMom (1454) 3-2
Miccimalou (1584) vs. BackgaMother (1716)
1 out of 2 completed.

aviator (1666) vs. jackdaddy (1685)
perhof (1768) vs. [winner of Miccimalou (1584) vs. BackgaMother (1716)]
0 out of 2 completed.

Monday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3603):
Tom kent yoyo jpb aviator sunray yonay
jpb (1841) vs. aviator (1666)
kent (1811) def. yonay (1785) 3-0
yoyo (1833) def. sunray (1716) 3-0
2 out of 3 completed.

Tom (1669) vs. [winner of jpb (1841) vs. aviator (1666)]
kent (1811) vs. yoyo (1833)
0 out of 2 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3604): Tom kent yoyo qizwiz silent_greek ciccione linus
qizwiz (1708) def. silent_greek (1664) 4-1
kent (1811) vs. Linus (1774)
ciccione (1664) def. yoyo (1810) 3-2
2 out of 3 completed.

Tom (1669) def. qizwiz (1708) 3-0
[winner of kent (1811) vs. Linus (1774)] vs. ciccione (1664)
1 out of 2 completed.

Tom (1669) vs. To-Be-Determined
0 out of 1 completed.

e-mail me

sixty_something

TOC Clock Warnings

Earlier today I issued 24 and 48 hour warnings via FIBS MESSAGES to several TOC pairings. It may be useful to review the "rules" from a previous Q&A post below.

Quote from: sixty_something on September 14, 2010, 08:19:41 AM
Q & A

Q: What if I am unable to schedule a match with my opponent?
A: Generally, this is not a problem as most matches are played within a day or two of being announced. It is your responsibility as a registered TOC player to schedule your match as soon as possible and to complete it within no more than 3-5 days after the pairing is announced by TourneyBot. If you are unable to communicate with your opponent at FIBS to schedule a match, it is your responsibility to communicate with the TD in a FIBS Message or Tell advising him of the situation. If the match has not been played within 5 days, the TD may AWARD the match as he sees fit. TourneyBot will start a 7 day clock immediately upon the announcement of a pairing and will automatically AWARD the match after 7 days. The TD may use the clock in determining to whom a match may be AWARDed, but it may not be the sole criteria used. If a vacation or work schedule prevents you from scheduling a match within this time frame, the time may be extended at the discretion of the TD.

I will grant an automatic one to two day extention to anyone in any TOC pairing that requests it. BUT ONE OF YOU MUST REQUEST IT. If no such request has been made to me or the other moderators, jackdaddy or Tom, I WILL AWARD MATCHES beginning shortly after the 5 day time limit. Without communication from players, the only information I have on which to base a decision is your last login time from a WHOIS command which can be very misleading or a coin toss. So, hopefully being forewarned is forearmed. Get those matches played or let me know you need an extention.
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC Pairings and Results

Tuesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3593):
rif_raf aviator sixtie marstem miccimalou socksey naavanaxx
MarStem (1807) def. Miccimalou (1584) 6-1
Naavanaxx (1555) def. aviator (1666) 5-2
sixtie (1721) def. socksey (1600) 5-1
3 out of 3 completed.

MarStem (1807) def. rif_raf (1448) 4-1
sixtie (1721) def. Naavanaxx (1555) 3-0
2 out of 2 completed.

:thumbsup2: MarStem (1807) def. sixtie (1721) 7-3
1 out of 1 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3594): rif_raf aviator macmom tom jackdaddy
jackdaddy (1683) def. Tom (1672) 3-0
1 out of 1 completed.

jackdaddy (1683) def. rif_raf (1448) 6-0
aviator (1666) def. MacMom (1454) 4-1
2 out of 2 completed.

Round 3 (match length 5):
:thumbsup2: jackdaddy (1683) def. aviator (1666) 6-0
1 out of 1 completed.

Wednesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3597):
sixtie miccimalou persianlord millennium jonprud
JonPrud (1622) def. millennium (1711) 3-0 (Awarded)
1 out of 1 completed.

sixtie (1721) def. JonPrud (1622) 3-0
PersianLord (1830) def. Miccimalou (1584) 4-0
2 out of 2 completed.

:thumbsup2: PersianLord (1830) def. sixtie (1721) 5-4
1 out of 1 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3598): sixtie sackofjaweea blotsalot sunray socksey jpb
sunray (1716) def. socksey (1600) 3-0
blotsalot (1821) def. jpb (1872) 12-0
2 out of 2 completed.

sixtie (1721) def. sunray (1716) 3-0
sackofjaweea (1713) def. blotsalot (1821) 3-1
2 out of 2 completed.

sixtie (1721) vs. sackofjaweea (1713)
0 out of 1 completed.

Thursday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3601):
aviator sixtie rollingfool austin bifz
bifz (1584) def. austin (1947) 3-2
1 out of 1 completed.

bifz (1584) def. aviator (1666) 3-2
sixtie (1721) def. rollingfool (1580) 3-2
2 out of 2 completed.

:thumbsup2: sixtie (1721) def. bifz (1584) 5-4
1 out of 1 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3602): aviator perhof miccimalou jackdaddy macmom backgamother
jackdaddy (1685) def. MacMom (1454) 3-2
Miccimalou (1584) def. BackgaMother (1716) 3-0 AWARDED after 6 days
2 out of 2 completed.

jackdaddy (1685) def. aviator (1666) 3-0
Miccimalou (1584) def. perhof (1768) 3-2
2 out of 2 completed.

jackdaddy (1685) vs. Miccimalou (1584)
0 out of 1 completed.

Monday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3603):
Tom kent yoyo jpb aviator sunray yonay
jpb (1841) def. aviator (1666) 3-2
kent (1811) def. yonay (1785) 3-0
yoyo (1833) def. sunray (1716) 3-0
3 out of 3 completed.

jpb (1841) def. Tom (1669) 3-0
kent (1811) def. yoyo (1833) 4-1
2 out of 2 completed.

:thumbsup2: kent (1811) def. jpb (1841) 9-3
1 out of 1 completed.

Beta Bracket (#3604): Tom kent yoyo qizwiz silent_greek ciccione linus
qizwiz (1708) def. silent_greek (1664) 4-1
kent (1811) def. Linus (1774) 3-0
ciccione (1664) def. yoyo (1810) 3-2
3 out of 3 completed.

Tom (1669) def. qizwiz (1708) 3-0
kent (1811) def. ciccione (1664) 3-0 AWARDED -- ciccione not logged in for over 5 days
2 out of 2 completed.

Tom (1669) vs. kent (1811)
0 out of 1 completed.

Players have 3-5 days to arrange and complete their matches from the first date and time the pairing is announced. Round 1 pairings in each bracket were announced by TourneyBot Monday night about 9 PM CDT, 27-Sep, about 0200 UTC (Tuesday).

After only 4 days, only five of those initial matches remained unfinished. The deadline for completion were extended one day for three of those matches. Two were awarded after the deadlines passed.

• #3594: aviator vs. MacMom (EXTENTION GRANTED at request of MacMom) [COMPLETED aviator (1666) def. MacMom (1454) 4-1]
  • #3597: millennium vs. JonPrud  (AWARDED to JonPrud 3-0) millennium, a phone user, has been unresponsive)
  • #3602: Miccimalou vs. BackgaMother (EXTENTION GRANTED at request of Micci) [AWARDED to Miccimalou 3-0 -- BackgaMother has been unavailable and unresponsive]
  • #3603: jpb vs. aviator [COMPLETED jpb (1841) def. aviator (1666) 3-2]
  • #3604: kent vs. Linus (EXTENTION GRANTED at request of kent) [COMPLETED kent (1811) def. Linus (1774) 3-0]

All pairings in each bracket are managed by TourneyBot. Players are advised each time they login of their next pairing as soon as it is determined. Clock settings can be reviewed for any bracket with the TourneyBot command CLOCKS nnnn.

Division Brackets and Pairings
The pairing and match results above are updated at least once daily about 7 AM CDT or Noon UTC. Official pairings and results are available at any time by using the TourneyBot ROUND command -- TELL TOURNEYBOT ROUND x TOURNEY nnnn

Each bracket consists of three single elimination rounds, i.e. lose and you are knocked out of that bracket. Rounds one and two are 3-point matches. The final round will be a 5-point match to determine the two Division Finalists.

e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC DIVISION SEMI-FINALS (match length: 5):

Tuesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3593): MarStem (1807) def. sixtie (1721) 7-3
Beta Bracket (#3594): jackdaddy (1683) def. aviator (1666) 6-0

DIVISION FINALS (5-pts): MarStem (1807) def.. jackdaddy (1683) 8-1
*** Congrats to MarStem Tuesday Division Champion :nr1: ***

Wednesday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3597): PersianLord (1830) def. sixtie (1721) 5-4  
Beta Bracket (#3598): sixtie (1721) def. sackofjaweea (1713) 6-3

DIVISION FINALS (5-pts): PersianLord (1830) def. sixtie (1721) 6-3
         *** Congrats to PersianLord Wednesday Division Champion :nr1: ***

Thursday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3601): sixtie (1721) def. bifz (1584) 5-4
Beta Bracket (#3602): Miccimalou (1584) def. jackdaddy (1685) 6-1

DIVISION FINALS (5-pts): sixtie (1721) def. Miccimalou (1584) 5-3
         *** Congrats to sixtie (me) the Thursday Division Champion :nr1: ***

Monday Division
Alpha Bracket (#3603): kent (1811) def. jpb (1841) 9-3
Beta Bracket (#3604): kent (1811) def. Tom (1669) 5-1
*** Congrats to kent unchallenged Monday Division Champion :nr1: ***

The final round in each bracket, the Division Semi-Finals, is a 5-point match to determine the two Division Finalists. But the fun is just beginning with that match.

Finalists in each division (the bracket winners) will then meet in a 5-point match to determine the division winner. Since TourneyBot can't yet handle multiple entries by one or more player in a bracket, it is important to note that the DIVISION FINALS will not be automatcially scheduled by TourneyBot. The Division Finals must be scheduled between the two finalists within the 3-5 day window for completing matches.

Results of that final round should then be reported to the TD. While winning a division provides bragging rights, divsion winners are but the FINAL FOUR in the 3/5 TOC.

The TOC FINALS will be a Double Elimination tourney managed by TourneyBot with 3-point matches and 5-point final round(s). Once again players will be on a three to five day deadline for completing matches, but if the pace of play continues we may have a winner within another week.

Thanks to all for entering and playing in this new tourney. It has been a challenge to manage and perhaps for players to understand, but it has been quite fun for me as TD and feedback from players has been on the whole very positive.

Thanks to the efforts of 48 players to get their matches completed within the 3-5 day deadlines, we were able to announce the Division Semi-Final pairings (the final round in each bracket) on Sunday, day 6 of the TOC. Each 8-player bracket consisted of three single elimination rounds, i.e. lose and you are knocked out of that bracket. Rounds one and two were 3-point matches.
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC DIVISION FINALS

Tuesday Division FINALS (5-pts): MarStem (1807) def.. jackdaddy (1683) 8-1
        *** Congrats to MarStem Tuesday Division Champion :nr1: ***

Wednesday Division FINALS (5-pts): PersianLord (1830) def. sixtie (1721) 6-3
        *** Congrats to PersianLord Wednesday Division Champion :nr1: ***

Thursday Division FINALS (5-pts): sixtie (1721) def. Miccimalou (1584) 5-3
         *** Congrats to sixtie (me) the Thursday Division Champion :nr1: ***

Monday Division FINALS (5-pts): kent (1811) vs. kent (1811)
        *** Congrats to kent unchallenged Monday Division Champion :nr1: ***

Finalists in each division (the bracket winners) met in a 5-point match to determine the division winner. The DIVISION FINALS were not automatcially scheduled or managed by TourneyBot. Division Finals matches were scheduled by the two finalists within the 3-5 day window for completing matches.

Results of that final round should then be reported to the TD. While winning a division provides bragging rights for being the Division Champion for the next season, divsion winners are but the FINAL FOUR in the 3/5 TOC.

Division winners qualify for the 3/5 TOC FINALS, a Double Elimination tourney managed by TourneyBot with 3-point matches and 5-point final round(s). The TOC FINALS will start once all division winners have been determined.
Players will continue to be on a three to five day deadline for completing matches.

e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC FINALS

The Division Finals in FIBS first Three/Fives Tournament of Champions were all completed by Friday, 15-October, 17 days after play began with 46 players representing all 61 eligible entries. Only two or three matches had to be awarded due to a player exceeding the 3-5 day match completion deadline or the extentions granted. Thanks to ALL who entered and supported this new tourney format.

The 3/5 TOC FINALS will be a Double Elimination tourney managed by TourneyBot with 3-point matches and 5-point final round(s). The TOC FINALS will start soon and TourneyBot will manage all pairings. When paired players will continue to be on a three to five day deadline for completing matches.

The TOC Finalists are:

MarStem (1807) Tuesday Division Champion

PersianLord (1830) Wednesday Division Champion

sixtie (1721) Thursday Division Champion

kent (1811) Monday Division Champion

Once the finals are started, random pairings by TourneyBot will be announced here and results will be updated as matches are completed. In a double elimination tourney with only 4 players only six or seven matches will be needed to determine the winner. Again, TourneyBot will advise players of pairings when all division winners have registered and play begins.

Finally, as the results from the earlier posts indicate, it was most interesting to see how players who qualified with more than one entry progressed through the tourney and the situations that arose. While it should have been obvious it was not until the Division Finals that it became clear that 4 different winners would qualify for the TOC Finals. For example, kent won both brackets of the Monday Division, eliminating the need for a final round to decide the Division Champion. In the Wednesday and Thursday Division, sixtie, your intrepid TD and reporter, had a chance to win two Divisions or two entries into the TOC Double Elimination Finals. I had made no provisions for that circumstance. So, I was relieved to lose one of those matches and win the other.
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC FINALS - Round 1

The Three/Fives Tournament of Champions is a Double Elimination tourney managed by TourneyBot (Tourney #3640) with 3-point matches and 5-point final round(s). The 3/5 TOC FINALS started Monday, 18-Oct-2010. TourneyBot will manage all pairings. Initial pairings were randomly determined by TourneyBot. Once paired, players are expected to arrange and complete their matches within a three to five day deadline. Extentions will be granted on request only. TourneyBot is set to automatically award after 7 days, if necessary.

ROUND ONE PAIRINGS

Match 1  (3-pts): kent (1819) def. PersianLord (1837) 5-2
Match 2  (3-pts): sixtie (1724) def. MarStem (1777) 8-1
Match 3* (3-pts): MarStem (1777) def. PersianLord (1837) 3-0

* Elimination round - PersianLord is eliminated
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC FINALS - Round 2

kent has advanced to the final round(s) awaiting the winner of an elimination round with sixtie vs. MarStem, a rematch from round one. PersianLord, top seed, was eliminated in the first round with defeats by kent and MarStem.

ROUND TWO PAIRINGS

Match 1   (3-pts): kent (1819) def. sixtie (1724) 6-2
Match 2*  (3-pts): sixtie (1724) def. MarStem (1777) 3-2

* Elimination round - loser is eliminated.
e-mail me

PersianLord

Hi,

I just wanted to appreciate the time and effort you put into running this tourney. It was really innovative and fun and I hope it'll be continued.

Regards,

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

sixty_something

:cool: thanks, PL .. it's always good to get positive feedback on a new idea especially from and experienced FIBS tournament player and someone involved in every level of this tourney .. behind the scenes, Tom's continuing support of TourneyBot and continued improvements made this new tourney format possible .. with continued improvements to TourneyBot and better ideas on how to communicate the results, i am hopeful the management of this tourney can become a little simpler to implement .. overall, i am very pleased that we pulled off a 48 person tournament with 8 original brackets well within a reasonable time frame since we are now within only a few matches of the end of the tournament
e-mail me

sixty_something

3/5 TOC FINALS - Final Round(s)

The field of forty-eight (48) players, all previous Three/Five tournament winners, is down to the last two. sixtie def. MarStem, 3-2, and now must face kent, who has advanced to the final round undefeated in this double elimination tourney .. sixtie must now win two in a row to win it all .. kent only needs to win one to claim the first Three/Fives TOC crown

FINAL ROUND(s)

Match 1*(5-pt): sixtie (1724) def. kent (1819) 7-4
Match 2  (5-pt): kent (1819) def. sixtie (1724) 5-3

* Elimination round for sixtie
e-mail me

sixty_something

kent Crowned TOC Champion of Champions
Congrats to kent the First 3/5 TOC Champion :nr1:
and to Runner-up sixtie, Third Place MarStem, and Fourth Place PersianLord

Other Three/Five Winners and TOC Players from Season I
Tuesday Division
rif_raf aviator sixtie marstem miccimalou socksey naavanaxx rif_raf aviator macmom tom jackdaddy

Wednesday Division
sixtie miccimalou persianlord millennium jonprud sixtie sackofjaweea blotsalot sunray socksey jpb

Thursday Division
aviator sixtie rollingfool austin bifz aviator perhof miccimalou jackdaddy macmom backgamother

Monday Division
tom kent yoyo jpb aviator sunray yonay tom kent yoyo qizwiz ciccione linus

Thanks to all for playing in and supporting our first Three/Fives Tournament of Champions. Season II is now underway. Win one of the daily events Monday through Thursday for an entry into the next TOC.
e-mail me