News:

click the random photo on the front page to go directly to the forum

Main Menu

Unfair Repbot rating

Started by Kofa, September 14, 2010, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kofa

Recently, I invited someone to play a match on FIBS and was declined.  The player stated his reason was that repbot had told him my rating was -9911(BAD).  So I look into it...Asking repbot about me gives the following:

* RepBotNG says: Kofa's reputation is -9911(BAD)

But asking for a list shows:
* You tell RepBotNG: list Kofa
* RepBotNG says: Kofa complainers: [blotsalot, DisraeliGears] vouchers: [yoyo] complaints: [] vouches: [lsu]

My rating is 1748, I have 2258 experience, and NO saved games.  I never drop, play slow or kibitz abusively.  It looks like there's two complainers(blotsalot, DisraeliGears) and two vouches(yoyo, lsu).  Sounds pretty neutral to me.    It's absurd that this should give me such a bad rating.  Obviously, people are gonna be much more inclined to complain, than to vouch, and I have no idea why they complained(they probably just got pissed that they lost!).  I wouldn't care, except I get the feeling I have a hard time getting people to play with me cuz of this stupid program.  I Shouldn't have to beg people to vouch for me like this is some kind of popularity contest!  I came here to play backgammon, but your robot impedes my ability to do so.

It is stated that the purpose of repbot is to help people avoid droppers and abusive players, I AM NOT A DROPPER OR AN ABUSIVE PLAYER!  But, people avoid me anyway-HOW LAME!

Anyone agree?  Maybe you could vouch for me?  Oops, or maybe I'll just get a bunch more complaints for speaking out against repbot.

stog

that does seem unfair
-9911 of anything seems like bad news too

can someone enlighten us?

dorbel

Blotsalot and DisraeliGears have complained about you and yoyo has vouched for you. You have yourself made one vouch, for Isu. No way of telling why those players complained about you, but you could ask them to withdraw. Repbot works best when it gets used more. Try vouching for players that you have enjoyed playing. You will likely get some vouches in return, then your problem will go away by itself.

RickrInSF

if blots complains about u, i will not play you, thank you for brining it to my attention

socksey

The complaints are from players who have lots of experience up to 10K from players who have played you (within the last 24 hours at time of complaint).  Do what dorbel suggests, and you will have a postive rep in no time at all.   :yes:

socksey

I've studied deeply in the philosophies of the religeons, but cheerfulness kept breaking through. - Leonard Cohen

diane

Quote from: RickrInSF on September 15, 2010, 02:44:39 AM
if blots complains about u, i will not play you, thank you for brining it to my attention

This is worth investigating, blotsalot is a very fair player, who would not complain for any reason other than a good one.  Many players, including me, will take his complaint seriously.

Yoyo, however, is also reliable - which tells me there is an issue to resolve with blots...ask him why he complained [and I will be doing so too], see if you can't get a resolution to that one.  if you have a saved game, even unintentionally, with him, finish it and I am sure he will remove the complaint.

If you can't resolve that, your course of action is to play good players and get vouches to counter that complaint - but while it stands, you may struggle with that.

This is how a 'reputation bot' works, and is meant to work.  We don't know you, but we have lots of information on blotsalot - and we will listen to what he has to say.

The information on you remains the same...and -9911, by the way, is not a number that would put me off playing you - only the complaint from blotsalot.

-> show savedcount kofa
kofa has no saved games.

RepBotNG says: Kofa's reputation is -9911(BAD)

You tell RepBotNG: l kofa
RepBotNG says: Kofa complainers: [blotsalot, DisraeliGears] vouchers: [yoyo] complaints: [] vouches: [lsu]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Kofa

So, basically,  what you're all saying is that FIBS is now some sort of popularity contest.  Instead of playing backgammon, I'm supposed to focus my efforts on getting people to vouch for me with some silly program that doesn't even have any affiliation with FIBS.  How sad  :(

I AM NOT A DROPPER OR AN ABUSIVE PLAYER!

diane

Quote from: Kofa on September 16, 2010, 08:31:56 PMI AM NOT A DROPPER OR AN ABUSIVE PLAYER!

It may or may not surprise you to hear that all droppers claim exactly the same thing...how are we supposed to know the difference.  The 'silly program' is a great tool to help us know, and we use it.

Fibs is no fun at all if you spend most of your time playing matches to be dropped, so we dont do it...learn to love the silly program, or go play with the droppers, and see how fulfilling you find the experience.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

Quote from: Kofa on September 16, 2010, 08:31:56 PM
So, basically,  what you're all saying is that FIBS is now some sort of popularity contest.  Instead of playing backgammon, I'm supposed to focus my efforts on getting people to vouch for me with some silly program that doesn't even have any affiliation with FIBS. 

Repbot is a tool.  You can either learn how it works and make it work for you, or you can ignore it like a sizable majority of players do.  Your choice.  We've told you what you need to do to improve your repBot rating, and your response is to b#t#h at us about it.  I'm starting to understand what blotsy and DG were on about.