News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

unprogrammable buttons?!

Started by thetis, October 12, 2010, 02:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetis

Newbie question - I've just installed JavaFibs (I had to install Java first) and all seems to be well so far (haven't attempted a game yet) except I am having problems with the toggle buttons.  There are no icons, just tiny unmarked squares so usable but very awkward. 

I see from another post that I can supposedly edit them in the preferences/programmable buttons menu.  Unfortunately, when i select this option, no menu appears.

What do i do now?  All helpful suggestions gratefully received!

socksey

It may be the version of javafibs you are using, or you may need to redownload it.  There are many hints in the JavaFibs area of this forum.  Give those a read.

socksey

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

diane

What computer and operating system are you using?  [programmable buttons don't work for me with the newest version of javafibs on my slightly elderly iBook, I had to go back to a previous version].

If it isn't the computer, then maybe it is the settings - fiddle with screen resolution etc to get icons larger.  The programmable buttons aren't very easy to use to start with - unless you are used to that sort of thing.  If you are confident the computer should work, and that you are doing it correctly, then yes, try a reinstall - often that fixes things.

It may be worth talking to someone who is used to these systems live on fibs to get real time help...inim is the best option, I can try and help if you see me there - or try shouts to get some help.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

inim

This sounds as if you are starting JavaFIBS's JAR (=java executable) from outside it's home directory. All pathes in JavaFibs are relative to the directory where the JAR resides and is started. A possible reason thus may be that you use a OS GUI link / shortcut and forgot to set the working directory properly. The fact you do not see icons means JF doesn't find them in the hardcoded directory layout. It won't find a lot of other things either than, you are running on bare-bones hardcoded defaults. Which limits JF a lot.

To fix this, just unzip the JavaFIBS distribution archive in a directory where you can read and write (write is important!). Do not run it directly from the ZIP archive. Check any softlinks you created and make sure they have a proper working directory pointing to the folder where JF lives. Be sure you can write in that folder with the user you run JF as.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.