News:

we need 2 or 3 small donations a month, and an ad or 2 each month, consistently over the year, to keep the board going.....http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Game 2 Move 4 The Herd to play 4-3 from the bar

Started by ah_clem, October 23, 2010, 12:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

The three is forced.  Where to play the four?

Position ID: sZ2FASKG14wDQA
Match ID: cAmuAAAACAAA

ah_clem

Spoiler

The runner is way utg, and advancing it to the bar point leaves a triple shot.  We're on the ropes here, so the best option seems to be an action play that takes half a roll away from our opponent.  Hit loose and pray.
[close]

ah_clem

Spoiler

Why 7/3?

Bonus points for explaining how either it or 8/4* comports with the  cube that's probably coming our way momentarily.

[close]

stiefnu

Spoiler
I've changed my mind. I think we should try running and recycle if we have to, which does seem likely, whatever we do.
[close]

r_monk

Spoiler
Quote from: stiefnu on October 23, 2010, 11:46:20 AM
I've changed my mind. I think we should try running and recycle if we have to, which does seem likely, whatever we do.
Maybe if we didn't have that blot on the bar-point running would be an option. Now it just leaves too many shots. I think 8/4* or 7/3 are the only options we have. I voted for 8/4*, but I doubt that's the right one. 7/3 is probably better.
[close]

stog

Spoiler
i like 8/4* too, then we must decide if we want to accept the cube?  ;)
[close]

ah_clem

Spoiler

Quote from: stog on October 23, 2010, 04:22:01 PM
i like 8/4* too, then we must decide if we want to accept the cube?  ;)
Do any of these moves result in a take for us?  Do any result in a too-goo-to -double position?

If the answer is no and no, then it probably doesn't matter which we choose.
[close]

NIHILIST

Spoiler
IMHO the idea here is to make a play that'll get us doubled so we can quietly drop. If we give him his whole move he's liable to play for a gammon. He may do so regardless of our move.

I think we hit him with the 4 and hope the idea of a half-move persuades him to turn the cube.
[close]

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

PersianLord

Quote from: NIHILIST on October 23, 2010, 10:14:15 PM
Spoiler
IMHO the idea here is to make a play that'll get us doubled so we can quietly drop. If we give him his whole move he's liable to play for a gammon. He may do so regardless of our move.

I think we hit him with the 4 and hope the idea of a half-move persuades him to turn the cube.
[close]

Bob

Spoiler
This is a brilliant manifestation of 'strategic vision'. Without getting engulfed in number-crunching fantasies, you offered a simple, yet efficient and ellegant escape route for this miserable herd at this historical moment.

Thou shall be our Shepherd Elect in our plight against this bald wolf. May the Allah bless you, Leviathan!
[close]

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

NIHILIST

I don't know how brilliant it was, since it appears he didn't fall for it.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

ah_clem

expurgated bot results

Spoiler

I have gnu 0-ply rollout, but it's too soon to present it in it's entirety. 

The Herd chose the best move here.  7/3 is second best and only a .02 error - basically within the margin of error.  The other plays are double-whoppers (.2 errors)

[close]

Zorba

XG rollout:

Spoiler

Both plays lead to a big double but also an easy take. Very similar results for both plays (to my surprise), except that the hit is just a little bit better in every aspect.

XGID=aA--BBC-BA--cB-b-bad-A-bA-:0:0:-1:43:0:1:0:5:10

1. Rollout¹    Bar/22 8/4*                  eq:-0,789
      Player  : 38,47% (G:15,10% B:3,04%)
      Opponent: 61,53% (G:33,51% B:2,89%)
      Confidence: +/- 0,013 (-0,802<E<-0,776)
      Duration: 9 hours 52 minutes

2. Rollout¹    Bar/22 7/3                   eq:-0,811 (-0,023)
      Player  : 38,14% (G:14,28% B:2,82%)
      Opponent: 61,86% (G:34,50% B:0,97%)
      Confidence: +/- 0,012 (-0,823<E<-0,799)
      Duration: 7 hours 48 minutes

¹ 10368 Games rolled with Variance Reduction.
  Moves and cube decisions: 3 ply
  Search interval: Huge

eXtreme Gammon Version: 1.21, MET: Rockwell-Kazaross
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill