News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2012 cheers!
..thx Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, aviator, r_monk ,captainmubbers,Tom roygbiv*, anonymous and yyy

Main Menu

Game 2 Move 5 the Herd to Play 4-4

Started by ah_clem, October 24, 2010, 12:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

Other choicess added upon request.

Position ID: sZ2FASQmr4wDCA
Match ID: cAmyAAAACAAA

ah_clem

Spoiler

I don't see any obvious play here, but there are two things that are very clear: we want to cover the blot in our inner board, and moving off the 10 or the 6 is useless.  Perhaps play from the six if we want to waste a four, but I'm not seeing any combination where that is desirable.

So, 8/4, then what?

We can't cover the blot on the bar point, and leaving it where it is subjects it to a double shot, so it's actually safer to hit loose with it. So 7/3* for the second four.

For the last two plays, we can run the backman, bring more checkers into the zone by bringing two down form the midpoint, or a hybrid play of 22/18 13/9.  The hybrid exposes the runner to a triple shot in the outfield, so I'm going to rule that out.

After 8/4 7/3* it looks like a blitz, so bringing as much ammunition into range as possible would be thematic - 13/9(2).  But is blitzing wise here?  He has a solid three point board vs our shaky one, so that says no.  But he also has a blot, which would indicate yes.  We'd like to cover our blot on the 3, and so far the only thing in range is the spares on the 6.  A second builder would help a lot, plus making the 9 gives us additional builders pointed at the five point.

Since quieter running play leaves our blot on the 3 hanging without much support.  I'm going for the blitz.  If he rolls poorly, it looks like we have a cube - if he dances, we're probably too good to cube.

13/9(2) 8/4 7/3*

[close]

NIHILIST

Spoiler
I agree with the first 2 you want to play, but read the situation differently regarding the last 2. I don't think we are blitzing. Our board is still pretty porous and disconnected. We're alive because a desperation  play stimulated his greed and he was rewarded for his piggishness by the 2-1 airball.

I also don't want to leave another blot on our 13 point that makes otherwise airballs like 5-1 and 1-1 potentially devastating. Staying in his board also allows him to hit us with an otherwise non-deadly 1-6 or 5-6.

I'm for running with the last 2 4s.
[close]

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

r_monk

Spoiler
22/14 8/4 7/3 for me. I like the idea of running; that brings us in a safer position than 13/9(2).
[close]

stiefnu

Spoiler
How about running our back man round to safety on the 10-point and making another home board point, with 22-10, 8-4? It leaves our bar chequer vulnerable to 6s, 42 and 22 but, if hit, at least we get a chance of a return, maybe even a double helping.
[close]

stog

Spoiler
22/14 8/4 7/3* for me, running the back man, covering and hitting, but giving him hits with 2,3 and6 ..eek :wacko:
[close]

diane

Spoiler
Cover, hit and run...all good to me..
[close]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

It looks like we are working toward consensus, but there's enough dissent that I'm going to let this poll run for the full 24 hours.

PersianLord

Spoiler
8/4 and 7/3* is almost forced. With the other 4s, I won't run and instead would bring 2 men down; the reason being our possibility of making an anchor next roll if we're hit. So, let us show some guts and remain in his home.
[close]

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

ah_clem

expurgated bot results

Spoiler

I rolled this out in 0-ply gnubg, but I don't want to present the full results as they may color our cube decision.

Suffice it to say that the Herd made the best play; 22/10 8/4 is second best, but is a whopper (~.1 error).  The other moves are much worse.

Full rollout forthcoming.  No participation from me on the cube decision

[close]