News:

Check out the small but well formed 'Campaigns' board --we all feel strongly about something: alert us to a campaign, add a poll - be concise, and aware of strong editorial ;)

Main Menu

PL vs dobel bet

Started by PersianLord, October 25, 2010, 10:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PersianLord

Greetings,

dorbel and me have agreed to play a position for money (5 euros / point).

Here's the position:

dorbel belives that Red should double and White should drop here (in a 9-match with Red leading 5-4)

I am simply buying White's position and will play on. We'll play as it it's a money game.

Enough for now. I will come up with a fair mechanism as to the prices and other necessary settings.

Stay tunned....
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

NIHILIST

Seeya in bankruptcy court.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

ah_clem

Quote from: PersianLord on October 25, 2010, 10:58:20 PM

dorbel and me have agreed to play a position for money (5 euros / point).

dorbel belives that Red should double and White should drop here (in a 9-match with Red leading 5-4)

I don't get it.  It's a match to nine, but you're playing for five bucks a point?  How does that work?  The winner of each match gets fiver?

Seems to me it'll take about a half hour to play each match so even if you win them all you're making about minimum wage. What gives?

NIHILIST

It's called a PROPOSITION. The position arose in a match, but they've decided to play it out a given number of times as a money game.

The basic disagreement is whether, for money, its a take or a drop. Having been to this dance more than once, I can safely assure you that PL will get crushed. The only question is how long it will take him to lose how much money.

In addition to having an inherent advantage in playing this for money, dorbel has swindled the poor country bumpkin from Persia by withholding a key element necessary to proposition play for money.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

PersianLord

Leviathan, I have not yet set the prices. How on earth can you claim this is unfair then?
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

NIHILIST

You said you were playing this as a money position, 5 euros per point, yes ?

There are 2 reasons you'll get crushed: first, the gammons are all one-way, dorbel almost never gets gammoned while you rate to get gammoned quite a lot. It's true your timing is perfect for a backgame, but the 2-4 is one of the least desireable to play.

More importantly, and I don't expect you to know this since you aren't a regular money player, in a DROP/TAKE money proposition, the DROP side, dorbel, should pay the TAKE side 1 point to take a 2 cube. This is standard and it's done to equalize the 3-1 guideline of any cube decision. In other words, you would lose 1 point for every non-gammon loss you take while dorbel loses 3 for every non-gammon loss he incurs.

Since you didn't mention this, I'm making the assumption that dorbel never offered it. If you feel you must play it out, go right ahead, my guess is you'll catch on to how bad your side of things is in just a few games.

Shalom.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

dorbel

In fact I have offered PL one point per game to play White holding a 2 cube here, money game. Those unfamiliar with propositions may wonder how and why this works. It's fairly simple. it's as if we take it in turns to play either side. When PL plays Red, he will presumably double and I will pass. Then we switch sides and PL will be one point up, I will double and he will take and play the game holding the 2 cube and already one point to the good. Paying him a point to take is a short cut.
Even with this, White still gets buried here. If I were PL I would take his hero's advice, fold my tent and slink quietly away into the night.