Main Menu

Game 4 Move 9 Zorba to play 3-3

Started by ah_clem, November 23, 2010, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

The Herd danced with 5-2.

Z rolls another set of doublets.

Zorba

Atta boy!  :thumbsup: Sponsoring ah_clem was not such a bad idea  :)

Just in time before I go to sleep. Let's see.

Another perfect fit for at least three of the sixes: 6/3(2) of course, then 18/15 to avoid any risks (4-4, 6-6 and to a lesser extent, 6-4) with the backchecker.

The last three probably won't matter too much, but it's still interesting to think about. I don't want to give up the barpoint just yet, although pretty soon I will be trying to clear it. But I can't afford any indirect shots in the outfield should the Herd enter with a 1 next turn. Besides, 7/4 goes a bit deeper with the spare than I'd like in this acepoint bearoff.

8/5 gives me a useful spare on the fivepoint. That's good, but I'd prefer to start bearing in by putting a spare on the sixpoint. Maybe I should wait for such an opportunity?

10/7 is a different approach. The spare is now in itself poorly positioned for the bear-in (risk of ending up too deep), but spares on the barpoint could help ruining the Herd's timing: once I get all my checkers on the prime, I don't have to play sixes anymore and it will take more turns before the barpoint disappears and the Herd can flee the (by then) spare on the acepoint. Sometimes this approach can make your opponent crunch their board, before you have to leave a blot in the bear-off. This greatly reduces losses after getting hit.

Will the latter approach work in this position? It seems very unlikely, since the Herd has ample timing for the acepoint game already and it will likely improve with one or more dances. After entering form the bar, the Herd normally has many moves to play in the outfield before there's any risk of crunching.

In fact, the opposite may be true here: I am safer overall by giving the Herd even more timing, in the sense that if I leave a blot early, the Herd hasn't had time to strengthen their offense enough, so I may well survive and just come around again. In other words: I'd like to bear in and off ASAP, before the Herd has their reception comittee ready. So 8/5 it is then, for the last three.
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

ah_clem

Quote from: Zorba on November 23, 2010, 12:55:47 AM
Atta boy!  :thumbsup: Sponsoring ah_clem was not such a bad idea  :)

Thanks for your kind words, but actually Diane is in charge of the dice this game.  She should get all the credit.  (c: