News:

controversial "other online games" Board introduced --GO, Poker, Scrabble and gosh even Chess.....let me know :)

Main Menu

FIBS Tourney Cup 2010

Started by Naavanaxx, November 28, 2010, 07:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naavanaxx

As you may learn in Who is the best tournament player at FIBS in 2010 thread, we now have overall annual tournament rankings of FIBS players based on total number of wins in each of regular weekly FIBS tournaments.

Those annual standings will be base for new one-time tourney, FIBS Tourney Cup 2010. It will be invitational only tournament with best 32 ranked champions competing for overall title of Best FIBS Tournament Player 2010.

Tourney format is single elimination, with 3-pt matches and 5-pt finals. Seeding will be determined by ranking in final listing of overall standings, closing December 31st. As you may notice, the principle is that more individual tourney wins player has, higher is ranked. For the ones with same number of wins (thus sharing same seeding), we will have one-time matches (3-pt) to determine final seeding for tourney; if more than two players are sharing same seed, they will play each other. 

In addition, there will probably be one sub-tournament to define final 32 players. For example, If tournament would start today, there would be 5 players competing for final 3 slots. In such case, those players will play sub-tourney based on final results. In order to illustrate things, I have made provisional bracket at Challonge and you may see it here. So, for instance, today's drop-off rate in terms of number of wins that qualify you for tourney is 4 wins, whereas kent, Leudwulf, MacMom, millennium and perhof would be competing for 3 final slots amongst best 32 (those final slots are now termed "Player 1", "Player 2" and "Player 3"). As said, please note that this is only for illustration purposes.

All usual rules of FIBS tournament will be applied on this tourney, and more about propositions will come hence players will be aware of precise formats of additional sub-tourneys.

Winner of FIBS Tourney Cup 2010 will be awarded with special badge I will provide, recognizing and acknowledging it as Best FIBS Tournament Player 2010. Badge will be applicable to its FIBS profile and player may choose to wear it or not. More about outlook of this badge, as well as the others suggested in this initiative, will come in time.

So, the sole goal of both of my initiatives is to have even more fun and to have even more players attending regular FIBS weekly tournaments. Please follow results and check out current standings here on regular basis. With approximately 60 tourneys until the end of the year, even if you don't have single win so far, you may still make it into final 32. If you do, however, you may still improve you final seeding, not to mention qualify yourself for some of the Annual Awards.

All quality suggestions appreciated thus don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything we may improve in order to make this tourney an annual one with tradition.
"For whereas the mind works in possibilities, the intuitions work in actualities, and what you intuitively desire, that is possible to you. Whereas what you mentally or "consciously" desire is nine times out of ten impossible. Hitch your wagon to star, or you will just stay where you are."

diane

* MON - Monday Three/Five (3/5) 1630/1700 UTC - 4 am local time
    * MON - Work Can Wait Forever (3/5) 1800/1830 UTC - 5 am local time
    * TUE - Tuesday Three/Five (3/5) 1630/1700 UTC - 4 am local time
    * TUE - BagOlymic (3/5) 1930/2000 UTC - 7 am local time on a workday
    * WED - Wednesday Three/Five (3/5) 1630/1700 UTC - 4 am local time
    * THU - Thursday Three/Five (3/5) 1630/1700 UTC - 4 am local time
    * THU - BagOlymic (3/5) 1930/2000 UTC- 7 am local time on a workday
    * FRI - F3's (3/5) 1700/1730 UTC - 4.30 am local time
    * SAT - Mini Matches (2/2) 1600/1630 UTC - 3.30 am local time
    * SAT - After Nine (3/5) 2100/2130 UTC - 9 am local time - YEAH!!
    * SUN - Bloody Mary Sunday Special (3/5) 1600/1630 UTC - 3.30 am local time

Given that spread of tournaments, wouldn't it be a LOT more reasonable to call it Best FIBS Tournament Player in the Northern Hemisphere, 2010?

And before anyone suggests it, no, I cannot consider running tournaments, my schedule is far too full with non backgammon activities right now.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

jackdaddy

How about moving to a more convenient part of the world then?    :smile:

diane

Are you inviting all of Australia round to your Gaff then?  Give me a week, I will ask them  ;)

Oh...that might not be clear...

QuoteUrban Dictionary: Gaff  "gaff" is an irish slang word for "house", its also used across Scotland and
parts of England and Wales. dave - " come on over to my gaff, ...

ah_clem

Quote from: diane on November 28, 2010, 09:34:17 PM

Given that spread of tournaments, wouldn't it be a LOT more reasonable to call it Best FIBS Tournament Player in the Northern Hemisphere, 2010?

Isn't it more of an eastern/western hemisphere thing than a northern/southern hemisphere thing?

BTW, ski season started today.  My Fibs / Fibsboard participation will decrease now that the good weather has returned.

diane

Quote from: ah_clem on November 29, 2010, 03:29:37 AMIsn't it more of an eastern/western hemisphere thing than a northern/southern hemisphere thing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Hemisphere

In a nutshell..

Continents found in the Northern Hemisphere
entirety of Europe
entirety of North America
entirety of Central America

Continents found in the Southern Hemisphere
Antarctica (the penguins have approached me previously about the possibility of running tournaments suited to their timezone)
Africa (approximately 1/3 of it - from south of Libreville in Gabon in the west to south of Somalia in the east)
Australia (the entire mainland is in the southern hemisphere)
South America (mostly, south of the Amazon River mouth in the east and Quito in the west)

ah_clem

Quote from: diane on November 29, 2010, 08:36:17 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Hemisphere

This may be a better explanation of why the tourneys are all in the middle of the night for you.  Hint: it's not due to being in the southern hemisphere.

diane

It may well be..but collectively, it is the countries in the southern hemisphere that are lacking in tourneys at reasonable times..

socksey

Any volunteers??????????

socksey

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice." - French author Marquis de Sade born in 1740

dorbel

QuoteIt may well be..but collectively, it is the countries in the southern hemisphere that are lacking in tourneys at reasonable times..

In fact this just isn't true. The African countries have European time zones so are not disadvantaged at all. The South American countries have time zones that are either the same as American time zones or closer to European zones than say New York. This is not ideal but many Americans play in the tournaments that fall in the European evening, so the South American disadvantage is no greater than that of Socksey or Sixtie to name but two of many regulars in bago for example.
It is, as clem has gently pointed out, the Eastern hemisphere that can be said to be disadvantaged. When an Eastern fibster with the tenacity and will to run weekly tournaments emerges, the balance will be redressed. Then we can all breathe a sigh of relief and sleep soundly in our beds, secure in the knowledge that the title of Supreme Fibsroid Champion is open to all, even the minute percentage of humans who live in Australasia.

diane

Ok, then there is something I plainly don't understand here, I am not phased...that is not unusual - particularly where time is concerned, it has always wrapped me in knots..

The situation I am trying to distinguish, is that: Japan, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and other countries around that area do not have tournaments they can participate in easily, particularly if they work.  This has always bothered me, and I recall trying very hard to get a tournament suitable for Anakin to play in.

Maybe the right way to see it would be to state South Eastern Quatersphere  ;)

If we went entirely with Eastern hemisphere, Then that covers most of Europe..who blatantly are not affected, even the ones with really teeny tiny populations  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Hemisphere

moonshadow123

Quote from: socksey on November 29, 2010, 10:15:01 PM
Any volunteers??????????

socksey

I rarely play in these tourneys, but in one of the few I did participate in, TD socksey peremptorily booted player diane from a tourney she was running simply because of personal differences or some long running feud of which I care not to know the details. There was no cursing, abuse, malicious sarcasm or general nastiness in public shouts to warrant such drastic action by TD socksey.

Perhaps that socksey, in a magnanimous gesture of good-will befitting a TD and champion FIBS tourney player (currently at the top of the dog pile with an impressive 25 tourney wins)  should herself sacrifice some sleep time by getting up a few hours earlier or going to bed a few hours later than usual in order to volunteer to host some tourneys for the aussie contingent that diane could participate in.

Alternatively, perhaps champion socksey could beguile the sexxxxxxxxxxxxxxy, voluptuous and hirsute VegasVic, notorious for commenting in shouts on the copulating patterns of dice and currently No. 2 on the tourney champion list (15 stellar wins) into volunteering to host an aussie tourney.

On second thought, I might volunteer to host an aussie tourney.

I'm sure I could find a pretext upon which to boot each and every participant, including diane, giving myself the ultimate bye to the winner's bracket and a possible future designation as a FIBS champion, replete with a prestigious badge of distinction.

Oh well, this post probably belongs in the "creative writing" section.

moon

diane

Quote from: moonshadow123 on December 01, 2010, 02:45:50 PMI'm sure I could find a pretext upon which to boot each and every participant, including diane, giving myself the ultimate bye to the winner's bracket and a possible future designation as a FIBS champion, replete with a prestigious badge of distinction.

I was mulling this one over as a strategy too  ;)  Only, it would be me that gets to stay in of course  :cool:

Not only would it ensure my place up there with the other tournament 'winners', but it would ensure short tournaments and therefore they would be much easier for me to run.  :laugh: :laugh:

Although, I might be persuaded to leave maybe one or two other players in, as long as they didn't look like they had a hope of winning.

Tom

As the automatic tourneys improve, I would be very happy to expand the schedule to include a tourney for prime-time of the major regions of the world, you know

1) Eastern USA
2) Central USA
3) Western USA
4) Alaska
5) Elsewhere

But seriously I would be happy to schedule a tourney for Prime Time Australian Time as well as European Time, etc

I would hope that someone could be on hand as a backup TD and if nothing else an extra pair of eyes if things go wrong

Tom

socksey

Quote from: moonshadow123 on December 01, 2010, 02:45:50 PM
I rarely play in these tourneys, but in one of the few I did participate in, TD socksey peremptorily booted player diane from a tourney she was running simply because of personal differences or some long running feud of which I care not to know the details. There was no cursing, abuse, malicious sarcasm or general nastiness in public shouts to warrant such drastic action by TD socksey.

Perhaps that socksey, in a magnanimous gesture of good-will befitting a TD and champion FIBS tourney player (currently at the top of the dog pile with an impressive 25 tourney wins)  should herself sacrifice some sleep time by getting up a few hours earlier or going to bed a few hours later than usual in order to volunteer to host some tourneys for the aussie contingent that diane could participate in.

Alternatively, perhaps champion socksey could beguile the sexxxxxxxxxxxxxxy, voluptuous and hirsute VegasVic, notorious for commenting in shouts on the copulating patterns of dice and currently No. 2 on the tourney champion list (15 stellar wins) into volunteering to host an aussie tourney.

On second thought, I might volunteer to host an aussie tourney.

I'm sure I could find a pretext upon which to boot each and every participant, including diane, giving myself the ultimate bye to the winner's bracket and a possible future designation as a FIBS champion, replete with a prestigious badge of distinction.

Oh well, this post probably belongs in the "creative writing" section.

moon

Begging your pardon, but you know not of what you speak!   :ohmy:  If you intended to incite me, you have, but I don't intend to justify myself to you or to anyone.  If you knew me, you'd know I'm a fairminded person and you wouldn't have made those comments in the tone you did.   >:( 

socksey

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." ~ Thomas Carlyle

diane

Quote from: Tom on December 02, 2010, 03:45:25 AM
But seriously I would be happy to schedule a tourney for Prime Time Australian Time as well as European Time, etc

I would hope that someone could be on hand as a backup TD and if nothing else an extra pair of eyes if things go wrong

This would be a great solution, and although I would expect the tourneys to be poorly attended to start with, I would also expect turn out to increase...the Ozzies simply aren't used to being catered for  ;)

I would be willing to be a back up TD for these events and can suggest some suitable times.

Meantime, I am thinking I would possibly be able to do a regular tournament somewhere on a Sunday night - maybe the opposite of sixties Sunday event for us on the other side of wherever  ;)

Thanks for the offer Tom.

Tom

Quote from: diane on December 02, 2010, 06:29:52 AM
I would be willing to be a back up TD for these events and can suggest some suitable times.

Meantime, I am thinking I would possibly be able to do a regular tournament somewhere on a Sunday night - maybe the opposite of sixties Sunday event for us on the other side of wherever  ;)

I'm all ears!

What Time?

Also I'd love some suggested names... the name I can up with "<Day> Three/Fives" just are missing something

Oh Yeah I know! Imagination!

Also what format? 3/5 like the others?

Tom

diane

6pm ish weekdays seems reasonable - which is currently 07.00 UTC

Name should be something involving 'Southern Cross' maybe  :dry:, still thinking on that!

Sunday I will run manually, and will name ...maybe..Upside Down Sunday Special?...any improvements to these names very much appreciated  ;)

dorbel

Monday, The Melbourne Melee.
Tuesday, The Rolf Harris Memorial Cup.
Wednesday, The Wombat's Armpit Special.
Thursday, The Sheep-shearer's Breakfast *Trophy.
Friday, The Far King TGIF Free-For-All.

*A sheep shearer steps out of his tent for his breakfast, which traditionally consists of a piss, a fag and a lookabout.

sixty_something

Quote from: Tom on December 02, 2010, 03:45:25 AM
As the automatic tourneys improve, I would be very happy to expand the schedule to include a tourney for prime-time of the major regions of the world, you know

1) Eastern USA
2) Central USA
3) Western USA
4) Alaska
5) Elsewhere

i like it .. based on the stable performance of the Three/Fives, i think you're ready to roll, Tom .. as for coming up with creative names, dorbel is looking good

for evening tourneys in the states, i like the idea of starting at the same time, say 9 PM, in each time zone and then going across the USA from east to west on Monday through Friday -- maybe even add Maui on Saturday .. that makes it easy to remember and provides a variety of times for each of us

hmm, isn't that what Naav did with his new "After Nine" tourney? -- great idea Naav .. when i first understood that A9 meant After Nine, i realized how odd it is playing backgammon tourneys in the morning and early afternoon .. before FIBS, i rarely played backgammon in the daylight .. now, i burn way too much daylight hanging around FIBS for tourneys .. while we won't get many new Euro players with these after dark tourneys in the USA, we may get a few new American tourney players .. for example, how about this as a schedule:

• Mon -- NYC @ 9 PM (0200 UTC, Tue)
  • Tue -- Houston @ 9 PM (0300 UTC, Wed)
  • Wed -- Aspen @ 9 PM (0400 UTC, Thu)
  • Thu -- SF @ 9 PM (0500 UTC, Fri)
  • Fri -- Anchorage @ 9 PM (0600 UTC, Sat)
  • Sat -- Maui @ 9 PM (0700 UTC, Sun)

for me, living near Houston, this provides after dark tourneys at 8 , 9, 10, 11 PM and midnight as well as a Maui special at 1 AM .. i like that a lot -- enough to host the Tuesday night event .. name them something similar and it looks like a series to me -- call it the City Lights Tour .. it may be tailor made for another TOC, if we can teach TourneyBot to run it

registration may be slow at first, but, if making them available is not much added hassle, there may be an untapped demand out there .. the Three/Five series started with 3-5 players on average (when enough players registered for it) .. since then, the Three/Fives have grown to 10+ on a regular basis
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me