News:

click the little + - buttons to customise your Fibsboard (unclick them sometimes to see what you're missing :)

Main Menu

wikileaks

Started by stog, December 03, 2010, 09:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

WikiLeaks is a non-profit media organization dedicated to bringing important news and information to the public. They provide an innovative, secure and anonymous way for independent sources around the world to leak information to their journalists. They publish material of ethical, political and historical significance while keeping the identity of their sources anonymous, thus providing a universal way for the revealing of suppressed and censored injustices.

WikiLeaks relies on its supporters in order to stay strong. Please keep them at the forefront of anti-censorship

wikileaks Q & A here.....http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2010/dec/03/julian-assange-wikileaks

their site is here 88.80.13.160
http://213.251.145.96/

garp_02

So much for free speech.

I would urge everyone to support Wikileaks in their exposure of what actually goes on in this world.

diane

Quote from: garp_02 on December 09, 2010, 06:49:08 PM
So much for free speech.

Exactly what I was thinking yesterday when I heard the Americans were describing his actions as 'illegal' !!!

QuoteCongress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Might as well burn whatever that is written on...

Maybe he would be ok to release this stuff, if he had stayed within in one of these..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone

And didn't keep wearing a suit, making sense and sounding like a rational human being?
Never give up on the things that make you smile

NIHILIST

When he was Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger advised a youg civil serbant to never write a memo if he didn't want it leaked. I actually don't have much of a problem with what WikiLeaks did, I would be interested in knowing who in the Obama-Hillary Clinton State Dept was doing the leaking. That might be revealing.

The other interesting offshoot of the affair is the exposing of the hypocrisy of one of the USA's major newspaper, the NEW YORK TIMES.

When the ClimateGate emails were leaked the TIMES refused to publish them on the grounds that they were stolen. The TIMES exhibited no such reservations about publishing the WikiLeaks info.

The TIMES seems to have no problem publishing stolen information if it damages the country. They, however, employ another standard if the stolen material conflicts with its political agenda.

It is sorry behavior like this that has driven thousands of subscribers from mainstream media, like the TIMES, to alternative media sources. When I last looked the TIMES was losing 1 dollar on every newspaper it publishes.

Its gotten so that no self-respecting fish wants to be wrapped in the TIMES these days.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

PersianLord

Quote from: NIHILIST on December 09, 2010, 10:21:57 PM
When he was Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger advised a youg civil serbant to never write a memo if he didn't want it leaked. I actually don't have much of a problem with what WikiLeaks did, I would be interested in knowing who in the Obama-Hillary Clinton State Dept was doing the leaking. That might be revealing.

The other interesting offshoot of the affair is the exposing of the hypocrisy of one of the USA's major newspaper, the NEW YORK TIMES.

When the ClimateGate emails were leaked the TIMES refused to publish them on the grounds that they were stolen. The TIMES exhibited no such reservations about publishing the WikiLeaks info.

The TIMES seems to have no problem publishing stolen information if it damages the country. They, however, employ another standard if the stolen material conflicts with its political agenda.

It is sorry behavior like this that has driven thousands of subscribers from mainstream media, like the TIMES, to alternative media sources. When I last looked the TIMES was losing 1 dollar on every newspaper it publishes.

Its gotten so that no self-respecting fish wants to be wrapped in the TIMES these days.

Bob

Shalom Leviathan,

Good point. I think the days of printed newspapers are numbered as more and more people are opting to read the news online and this is a really good news. Less printed press means less plutocracy's puppets and more diverse & honest sources of news.

Regards,

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

garp_02

For once I actually find myself agreeing with PL. But don't let that put you off supporting Wikileaks.

Since the leaks have started to be publicised the US government has made various attempts, commercially and diplomatically, to silence this defender of freedom of speech.

Wikileaks had some of it's internet traffic diverted through Amazon, I believe - that was shut down.

Payments through Visa, Mastercard and Paypal were shutdown.

The founder is currently under arrest in the UK. While I do not condone any sexual assault, I cannot help but feel that this is further attempts to undermine Wikileaks.

Hopefully some of our American friends will have their eyes opened by these leaks and stop harping on about their great freedom of speech.

NIHILIST

Where's the stifling of FREEDOM OF SPEECH ? The insiders at the State Dept expressed their freedom of speech by committing their opinions to paper, others in the State Dept expressed theirs by leaking the documents, and major media entities expressed theirs by printing or airing the details.

The hue and cry is mainly from the same administration that collected the data and then leaked it.......a bunch of FREEDOM OF SPEECH loving liberal Democrats, led by Hillary Clinton, who are now Shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED to discover that there's gambling at Rick's.

Hell, you even exhibited your freedom of speech by suggesting that the Brits trumped up a sex charge in order to arrest Mr Assange.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

spielberg

Quote from: NIHILIST on December 10, 2010, 05:26:52 PM
Hell, you even exhibited your freedom of speech by suggesting that the Brits trumped up a sex charge in order to arrest Mr Assange.

He suggested no such thing. Had you bothered investigate you'd have seen Assange has been detained under an Interpol warrant on behalf of the Swedes.

A minimal amount of further research also indentifies the source for the diplomatic cable leaks as Bradley Manning, a 22 year old soldier currently under arrest at Quantico. Most amusing of all is his rank - he's a private! The US Defence and State departments were controlling their information flow so well they gave access to the entire library to a high school drop out.

NIHILIST

This is too funny.

Who gave this high school dropout access to all the info ? What were their positions at the State and Defense Depts ?

Would you really have us believe that some 22 year old lamebrain army private possessed the technical expertise to somehow gain access to some of the the nation's most sensitive diplomatic info ?

When and if the smoke clears my guess is you'll find that some well-meaning bureaucrat whose conscience was troubled by what he read was behind the leaks, just as Daniel Ellsberg was decades ago.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

Zorba

Bob will be delighted to know that his very own Republican heroin Sarah Palin, that freedom of speech icon, has called for action on Assange: he should be "hunted down like Osama bin Laden".

What Bob's friend Sarah probably doesn't realize, is that republican GW Bush's six year hunt for Osama has been a total failure, despite costing trillions of dollars to American taxpayers like Bob.

The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

stog

PersianLord

I think anyone threatening Wikileaks and it's founders should be sued. These bastards are paving the way for his assasination.

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

stog

NIHILIST

Well, you can find something humorous, ironic and certainly hypocritical from just about anything that comes out of Washington.

Many of the same voices here praising Assange for disclosing sensitive government info were, not too long ago, screaming for Bush, Chaney, et al to be frog-marched to the gallows for outing a one-time covert CIA operative, Valerie Plame. I don't recall Stog, Zorba or Diane defending the freedom of speech of those who made the world aware of an agent of the hated CIA.

For the record, there was no crime in the outing of Ms Plame, no one was ever prosecuted for it. At the end of the day the government spent millions of dollars getting to the bottom of what everyone already knew, prosecuted a guy named Scooter for perjury, which Bush later pardoned, and Sean Penn made a bad movie about the episode which had a box office run of about 2 weeks and didn't come close to recovering its production costs.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

NIHILIST

Just an additional point; I disagree with those, including Sarah Palin, who would seek to punish Assange for his misdeeds. IMHO, if there's any punishment to be meted out it should go to those who leaked the info to Assange, most likely employees of the Obama-Clinton State Department.

Assange is merely the messenger.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

stog

Re: wikileaks - Anonymous urges global protests

A group of self-styled internet freedom fighters have called for a global day of action in protest at attempts to close down Wikileaks.

Anonymous has gained notoriety in recent months for its cyber-attacks on the websites of companies it deems to be anti-Wikileaks.

Now, in a new video posted on its blog, it calls for a series of offline protests.

These are planned for major cities around the world on 15 January.
oops :) bit late posting .. news travels slow round these parts ;)

"The internet needs champions and we will rise...We are Anonymous and so are you. Stand up and fight. Every city, everywhere," the video message said.

more here .. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12191486

Zorba

Quote from: NIHILIST on January 17, 2011, 05:37:32 PM
Many of the same voices here praising Assange for disclosing sensitive government info were, not too long ago, screaming for Bush, Chaney, et al to be frog-marched to the gallows for outing a one-time covert CIA operative, Valerie Plame. I don't recall Stog, Zorba or Diane defending the freedom of speech of those who made the world aware of an agent of the hated CIA.

I think you might be overestimating the importance of the USA a litte bit here. Nobody outside the USA really cared about the Valerie Plame case. It wasn't particulary interesting. Most of all, it  just seemed a stupid thing to out her, like much of what your great republican GWB did was stupid and which still costs you massive amounts of tax money.
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

garp_02

Bump.

Big up for Ecuador for standing up for freedom of speech and please support Assange in whatever way you can.