News:

NEW! Get all Tourneybot Results from the new Board here: http://www.fibsboard.com/tourneybot-results/

Main Menu

upgrading existing v1.011 to v1.012 thx inim

Started by stog, January 09, 2011, 12:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

upgrading to v1.012  should be the same for all, including Windows, except  Mac OS X V 10.6 where i think it is advisable to stay with v1.011

thought i'd post this, as i successfully upgraded today, and read in shouts  that some folks had had some problems upgrading last night

basically copied over all new files (replacing files) from the unzipped new folder, as in the instructions included, except for the Users folder, which has all your settings, which you don't replace

useful addition for the war against Droppers is the * Change: Added new "show savedcount" command as a menu item to the inviter and the player tabs. (inim)

access it by 'right clicking' the inviter

Changes and fixes:

v1.012 (20100518)
------
* Change: Added new "show savedcount" command as a menu item to the inviter and the player tabs. (inim)
* Change: Added "whois" and "client" commands as a menu item to the inviter tab. (inim)
* Change: Added "invite" command as a menu item to the friends tab. (inim)
* Fix: Network code created fragmented IP packets, which caused unnecessary load for fibs.com. This also broke commands sent
      sometimes, especially sent under load or lag. This was the cause of the infamous "hois" bug as well. (bug 75, inim)
* Fix: Naming scheme for saved matches (Player_vs_Opponent_YYYYMMDDHHMMSSNNN) didn't pad milliseconds with zeros correctly. (inim)
* Fix: Fibs formula for rating change of low experience players has changed. Adapted calculation in player table and invitation
      tab to use the new formula. (inim)

diane

I love the upgrade  :cool: and hadn't even noticed the 'show saved count' menu item, excellent!
Never give up on the things that make you smile

inim

Quote from: stog on January 09, 2011, 12:33:21 PM
upgrading to v1.012  should be the same for all, including Windows, except  Mac OS X V 10.6 where i think it is advisable to stay with v1.011

I've heared of problems on Linux, latest Ubuntu in particular, as well. Consider it a "windows only" version, or do it on your own risk. But on Windows, from XP to 7, zero known problems exist with 1.012.

copied over all new files (replacing files) from the unzipped new folder, as in the instructions included

Techically speaking, it is already sufficient to copy the actual executable files from the ZIP archive to your old JF installation folder.

Copy this from the ZIP:

• JavaFIBS-1.0.12_java16.jar
  • JavaFIBS-1.0.12_java13.jar

If you are sure you do have Java 6 on your platfrom (most of you should), then you even only need JavaFIBS-1.0.12_java16.jar.

From the existing JF folder, you in return can delete the old executables:

• JavaFIBS-1.0.11_JDK13.jar
  • JavaFIBS-1.0.11_JDK16.jar

I had some users who had problems working with ZIP archives. Please refer to Google for this OS specific help. Key point is NOT to click the JAR in the virtual folder of the ZIP, you really need to make a physical copy from the ZIP to the HD's folder.

Please note that existing Desktop links to the JAR file you or a friend have created still point to the old JAR and will thus run the old version. Please fix them respectively to point to the newly copied JAR file of your choice. Most likely this is JavaFIBS-1.0.12_java16.jar, unless your local Java version is very old.

After you upgraded you need to run the new version once, close it and restart it. That way config files will be updated. You may see "odd" window colors and forms. This is because the new version MAY have selected a new look&feel in your settings. No reason to panic. Just select "Windows" rather than "Metal" from the "Preferences -> Look & Feel" menu and restart JF.

You should not run 1.011 and 1.012 intermixedly after you upgraded, as they may not agree over some settings in your settings file. Avoid this potential problem by simply not using the old version anymore once the new works. Best is really to delete the old files so you can not get confused by them. In case you can always load them from the internet again.

And here is the standard disclaimer: It is always a good idea to create a backup of your JF folder before you work on the installation. Simply copy the complete folder to another folder or device.

v1.012 (20100518)
------
* Fix: Network code created fragmented IP packets, which caused unnecessary load for fibs.com. This also broke commands sent
      sometimes, especially sent under load or lag. This was the cause of the infamous "hois" bug as well. (bug 75, inim)

Due to recent server side changes, this problem seems to be more serious under 1.011 than it was before that change. Given the fact that 1.012 helps to reduce the fibs.com load and thus lag, please consider upgrading. Your server needs you. And in return, the "hois" problem is remedied. If your friends list is very long, it may not be zero still. But 1.012 even here improves things for you.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.