News:

Add your picture URL in your profile.

Main Menu

Pruning & Maintenance

Started by stog, January 13, 2011, 03:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

ok - the server's been running a little slow lately, and there could be issues with the interweb routing near London according to recent 'status issue' reports on our hosts logs..

i thought i would take the chance to do some pruning

i've pruned 'unread message logs' and things like that

and more dramatically have deleted >3000 'members' who haven't been active for >2 years with 0 posts, and a few with 1 post but inactive for >3 years..

and please check your personal messages and delete those not important, as this will be the next area i will be gardening..
let me know of any problems, and feedback thx

remember too that VIP Fibsboarders get faster load times by virtue of having fewer ads........

stog

They will be conducting essential maintenance to our servers between 00:01 and 04:00 on 18th January. During this time Fibsboard may be inaccessible for a short period, lasting no more than 15 minutes.

stog

Re: internal errors & slowness..
i am investigating-- and have contacted our hosting company ..

will report back

diane

Thought you might be...thanks  :cool:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

oops i messed up and people's avatars aren't showing -- working on it sry   :unhappy: :mad: :thumbdown:

i have broken the link to folks avatars whilst trying to improve the way they load for speed processes sry
am working on it - but have put forum out of maintenance mode for you - but will have to do more later

socksey

Don't feel too badly!   ;)  These things happen in the computer world.   :laugh: 

socksey

"A nail is driven out by another nail. Habit is overcome by habit." - ERASMUS

socksey

Oops, is right!  No avitars, a white screen when you log on, color format skewed, and slow as hell (at least I hope hell is slow!).   :laugh:  What else will happen?   :(

socksey

Michael Jordan once said, "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

stog

I have to put the forum into white mode sometimes, while i am working on it -- it is a maintenance mode , and prevents any new posts from being lost.

stog

still having trouble with avatars link sry - 2 night shifts here 04.30  :mad:

but if you want to re-assign your avatar immediately - you can, by going to Profile above/choose Public Forum Profile Information, then Personalized Picture:and pick your avatar from the list on the right

you can find your number/filename on the attached files below-
eg just click the pic -- R-S for stog; stog avatar 5478

remember to save by clicking change profile at the bottom

this is also a good opportunity to delete any unwanted messages, check your email is current etc

all this was to try to get the  avatars loading faster by not having as many calls to the server  (for example on the front page) and i still have to migrate the database to a faster server✓ when i can get the time, and they - the server hosts have completed their upgrades

thx for your help here, and remember this is the only thing ive broken this year with the exception of the green mug in the kitchen and the...

stog

hi
just put the database on a new server, which is faster and hopefully smoother
still some things to do but fingers crossed - seems better

unfortunately it means that a few of you (who were logged in around noon today 29th jan)  may have to repeat the avatar thing - described above, in your Profile, as i had to take the chance to use/migrate the database (which i thought had failed but hadn't), and lose 20 mins of members' input (1 post which i saved and sent to the member to repost) (our database is >50 mb and exceeds the usual import methods, and takes a lot of time to export/import > 1hour -meaning that i have to have the Forum in maintenance mode for that time, and if anything goes wrong i have to repeat it - which was 5x this week)

sry bout all this but please realise that i have spent a lot of time this week with the 'board and have been up 2 full nights sorting this all out -- :kaffeepc:

most of it because of trouble at our Hosts end :dry:

diane

We thank you stog, and appreciate mrs stogs patience  ;)

I can report it is faster and smoother....and hope soon to make another donation to show my appreciation  :cool:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

lauracurnowasw007

It's best to remove all unnecessary posts.

ayran

On the Forum Front page, in the
"check out the backgammon problems...http://www.fibsboard.com/backgammon-problems-b55.0/" sentence,
the http://www.fibsboard.com/backgammon-problems-b55.0/ hotlink does not work.
Cheers !

stog

thx, yes the link was from before we 'prettied' the links; now reads http://www.fibsboard.com/backgammon-problems/

also if you post game diagrams pls reduce their size with an image editor before posting ie 72 dpi(res) and a small footprint thx