News:

controversial "other online games" Board introduced --GO, Poker, Scrabble and gosh even Chess.....let me know :)

Main Menu

over 10 saved games -you are not able to start new game

Started by stog, March 31, 2011, 09:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

playing on FIBS if you have over 10 saved games -you are now not able to start a new game

QuoteEffective now, you won't be able to start new games (either by inviting or accepting an invitation) if you have 10 or more unfinished ones.
http://twitter.com/FIBSdotcom

ifaesfu

Frox

I don't think that this is going to be a very effective way of getting people not to drop their matches. I've been playing on fibs with the same username for years and now I'm unable to participate in any new matches. 

Out of the 10 saved games, 7 refuse to resume the matches, even after offering them the points by immediately resigning after resuming. 

Now some one hit wonder decided to drop the game, which happened to be my 10th and I'm no longer allowed to play. Or I'll have to register a new account (which i'm also not allowed to do). 

So now in other words, the regular will all be stopped from playing at one point or another and the newbies get to mess up as much as they like. 

When you also take into consideration that we can't get rid of our saved games, only lodge a complaint with RepBot, then this isn't one of the best solutions. 

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

socksey

Perhaps you aren't aware that there is only one administrator on Fibs and that is Patti.  She decides those kinds of things. 

socksey

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are
wonderful. - Ann Landers

diane

I know this will annoy a lot of players...but I really dont think it takes much effort to stay under 10 saved matches - learning how is part of the fun of playing at FIBs.

I have 4 saved, because I tend to give newbies a chance to get going - and I do get dropped now and then. If it gets to almost 5, I stop for a bit and play knowns, with good reps.

I think this is an excellent move, and whilst it does have downsides, so does every single solution that has been suggested. [before you list your 'perfect' solution here, please go and check to see if it has been made before, because I can bet it has].

Also remember, this is not a 'forever' situation, as continuous improvements are being made - but they do require input and work from people who have to do real work to earn a living.  The next iteration of this could be the kind of thing you are bursting to suggest now.

In the meanwhile...ponder this wonderful quote from earlier today...it made me really, really pleased...

Quotechicagopopo shouts: i just had a dropper find ME

How good is that  :cool:

Never give up on the things that make you smile

dorbel

Got up to 10 saved matches so can't start a new one? Here's what to do.
1. DON'T PANIC.
2. In your command line type <show saved>. This will list your matches with one * for those online and ** for those who are online and ready. Try to resume these.
3. Be aware that saved matches are only saved for a few days, currently 2-3 weeks, so wait a bit and your count will go down.
4. In future take steps to avoid droppers. These are likely to be found in these categories.
(a) Players with bad reps. Learn to use repbot before playing strangers.
(b) Players with very low experience, under 1,000 works for me, set your own limit.
(c) Players on mobile phones. Use a client that shows this, ideally javafibs.
(d) Players with high saved counts. Use command <show savedcount username> for this.
5. Do these things and you will quickly learn to avoid droppers. Players who casually play anybody without making these checks tend to get a high savedcount quickly. Don't let this be you.
6. Don't whine about it in shouts. Other fibsters do not give a **** what you think about it.
7. Enjoy the game!

adrian

Quote from: dorbel on April 02, 2011, 08:33:16 AM
Got up to 10 saved matches so can't start a new one? Here's what to do.
1. DON'T PANIC.
If I may add to the above, I`d say:
8. DON`T make another nickname.
9. Patience is the answer.
10. Improve your game and be polite.
11. Learn how to use the software.
The above suggestions are not for Odesys only, so I ask Stog to add  to this thread tags like: saved,fibs,cannot,why,more,games,ten and any other keywords he finds fit for search engines used by the (too few) people who are trying to find answers.
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

Patti

The deal is this:

I expected there to be an awkward transition, and that's exactly what we're seeing.

What will happen is that over time, players who are inclined to drop will be stopped dead in their tracks pretty quickly.  Players who are inclined to finish their games will encounter far fewer droppers since those droppers will quickly lose their capacity to create new games.  My expectation is that after a couple of weeks the situation will stabilize.  Responsible players will pretty much stop being plagued by droppers.

And yes, there is a learning process involved here.  In many ways, I'm forcing people to learn to do due diligence on unknown opponents.  Use "show savedcount PLAYER" to see if they have a pile of games.  Check their experience.  Check their host. 

If it doesn't stabilize in a reasonable way, I'll do something else.  It's a pretty difficult problem to solve... the best I can do is try things and refine them until I something that works well.

ah_clem

Avoiding droppers is really pretty easy (look for advice on this board) so I fail to see why anyone would have a problem staying below ten.  It's pretty rare that I have one saved game, and it's been several years since I've been above 5.

The new rule seems like a good idea, but yes it's going to have some transition issues while people adjust.  Deal with it. 

GeneHackman

12. message username Hi, we have a match in standby when are we going to finish it?

Patti

As of right now, the threshold has been reduced to eight unfinished games.