News:

You can now show us where you live by placing a pin on the Google map in your profile.

Main Menu

KMA's Tourney Titles

Started by KissMyAss, April 04, 2011, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KissMyAss

Just wondering what people think of them...

Do they offend so much you're not willing to join?   Do you delight in them, and eagerly await my next one?  

I am thinking about offering a prize to the winners of my tournaments.  What, I haven't decided yet.  Maybe  some of you could offer some insight as to what you would play for... serious question, I'm looking for advice.  
I know tshirts have been done in the past, so am not going down that track.... but if there are people out there with small businesses, who play gammon for stress release after a long day, maybe I could offer them a free website for their business?   Cos I would be fine with setting that up, is hardly any work at all, apart from getting the information they want to include.

However, there would be a condition on the tourney where that was a prize.

I would have to have at least 20 players in the tourney.   It would still be open to all comers, so if any of you have any issues with anyone else, I would appreciate that they be left at the tourney door.  As you all know, I have no issue with anyone on FIBS, I have had nothing to do with all the stuff from the past, so I would appreciate the courtesy of having it kept outta my tournament, so that any new faces who join, don't have to be subjected to it.

If you overshoot the timeout clock, there is no point whinging to me that you were unfairly bounced from the tourney.  I give plenty of warnings in shouts when the tourney is about to start, tourneybot also gives those warnings, therefore it is up to you as the registered player to watch shouts for tourney updates, and to make sure your ass is ready to play when it starts.   I will not be responsible for getting you to the tourney on time.  

There may be things that I don't know, tourneybot commands I haven't learned yet, things I do differently in shouts to advertise the upcoming tourney.  I am ME, not any other TD.   I won't be shouting things with stars around them, like someone else does with their tourneys.  I won't be changing the timeout clock to a certain number of minutes, because someone else does it.  Five minutes is long enough to go offline and come back in, in the event of lag.  If you have a complete computer failure, and have to reboot, which may take longer than the five minutes, well there's nothing I can do about that.  As I said, I don't know all the commands, therefore if you are not back in the game in time, tourneybot awards the win to your opponent.  I can't do anything about it.

I would also like some kind of insight as to why I am struggling to get asses on seats in my tourneys.  I get that some times are early morning, or too late at night, but am curious as to any other reasons you may not enter.  Do my tourney titles offend?  Have I pissed people off?  (If so, I would prefer to be told in person, so we can sort it and move on).

All feedback welcome
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

Tanika

I may be at work when you start your tourneys Tash, but when I'm logged in when you start them count me in! BTW...can i use a line of two from your post?   :happy:
hugs darl!
if I smile it's because  I already found someone else to blame......

diane

Regular time slots help - as mentioned by Rick...advertising helps too.

More importantly, I am finding Australians and players on this side dont participate in tournaments that much. This may be because they typically didnt have TDs running tournaments in the right time slots, or because there just arent so many logged in. Prime time Oz playing has about 100-150 players, compared to 200-250 prime time America. This may be weather related, I am watching if the numbers change over the winter months.

Certainly active promotion and advertising can only help that - not so sure that prizes will help at this stage.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

KissMyAss

Quote from: Tanika on April 04, 2011, 05:02:51 PM
I may be at work when you start your tourneys Tash, but when I'm logged in when you start them count me in! BTW...can i use a line of two from your post?   :happy:
hugs darl!

You can use anything you like from my post darlin, the whole thing if you wish.  Marital rights and all that.  :)   Hugs
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

KissMyAss

Quote from: diane on April 04, 2011, 08:11:31 PM
Regular time slots help - as mentioned by Rick...advertising helps too.

More importantly, I am finding Australians and players on this side dont participate in tournaments that much. This may be because they typically didnt have TDs running tournaments in the right time slots, or because there just arent so many logged in. Prime time Oz playing has about 100-150 players, compared to 200-250 prime time America. This may be weather related, I am watching if the numbers change over the winter months.

Certainly active promotion and advertising can only help that - not so sure that prizes will help at this stage.

That's why I have the poll running, to see if people would consider the idea a worthwhile one or not.  Have had a few responses in person when i mentioned it in shouts, and they have all been favourable so far.

socksey

I have done all but stand on my head to get player participation sometimes.   :yes:  I gave up on that.  Why should I have to beg?   :(  If they want to play, they will, if not, they won't.   :dry:  Typically, winter brings out more tourney participation for me.  When it's summer, many are off doing summer things like swimming and hiking.   ;)

socksey

The world cannot be discovered by a journey of miles . . . only by a spiritual journey . . . by which we arrive at the ground at our feet, and learn to be at home. - Wendell Berry

KissMyAss

Socksey....

I am disappointed that you gave up honey, would love to see you standing on your head.... I feel a story coming on!  lol

Yeah I hear ya.    Am just gonna advertise the prize with every tourney I run.  And one day, if there's 20 people in there, then the prize will be played for. 

Hugs

sixty_something

when you started this post, KMA, you asked "Do my tourney titles offend?" .. that never made sense to me since i've not been present for any of your tourneys .. i tried to get there this morning, but i missed you -- locally, it is a 7 AM start time

yesterday, i noticed diane added five tourneys titled KMA's Salute to Erotica! to my Tourney Schedules thread .. well, i am not exactly offended, but i do think those are VERY inappropriate tourney names for a regularly scheduled FIBS tourney, especially one you propose to run 5 days a week, Monday through Friday

today, before i logged in, i noticed that the names were changed to KMA's Salute! .. apparently, someone agreed with me .. while erotica is nice, i really don't think it makes any sense in a tourney name .. i mean, am i really going to invite my grandson or a newcomer to join me for a "Salute to Erotica!"? i don't think so

IMO, our FIBS tourneys, especially the regularly scheduled ones, offer a great way to build and/or rebuild civility and good sportsmanship at FIBS .. additionally, regularly scheduled tourneys offer a great way to invite newcomers or oldtimers who have left an opportunity to check out FIBS tourneys again or for the first time .. since a tourney name offers an opportunity for a good first impression, it is important not to get too edgy or too boring

next in importance is attendance, if we're going to promote a tourney as a regularly scheduled tourney, it is important those tourneys make .. TourneyBot will support as few as three (3) players .. if, after several weeks, we can't get 3 players to register for a tourney, maybe it is time to consider doing something different, i.e. improving promotion, finding a core group of committed players, changing the time, or just cancelling the tourney .. nothing offends more than setting aside time to play in a tourney only to find no one else is there to play

regardless, good luck with your ambitious and enthusiastic attempt at getting new tourneys started for the down under and Pacific rim crowd, KMA and diane .. i wish i could get my tourney mojo going early enough to participate, but it isn't likely on a regular basis
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

dorbel

QuoteIMO, our FIBS tourneys..... offer a great way to build and/or rebuild civility and good sportsmanship at FIBS

Really? A triumph of hope over experience!

diane

Quote from: sixty_something on April 14, 2011, 03:15:05 PMif, after several weeks, we can't get 3 players to register for a tourney, maybe it is time to consider doing something different, i.e. improving promotion, finding a core group of committed players, changing the time, or just cancelling the tourney .. nothing offends more than setting aside time to play in a tourney only to find no one else is there to play

Well, actually it does..wanting to play in tourneys, and not being able to attend any of the ones which run because of time differences...so setting up one suitable to your own time zone. Then setting aside the time to run it - as well as advertising, and then finding that you can't get enough participants, because the only significant numbers of players logged in are on Odesys and dont see the shouts.

So you STILL cant play in tournaments..which are great fun and more interesting than one off matches.

I am having trouble with the saturday one, so am changing the times and trying to find a place to put it to get participation - whilst trying to balance the fact that if you change the times too often or too much - you loose the one or two players who did show up for it...

Then, when you are in the middle of that frustration and working on the problem, someone who obviously cannot make the tournaments, assumes you arent doing anything and expresses some 'concern' and suggests they should be cancelled.  :grrr: :grrr:

I wont give up on these tournaments for a year, that gives us time to establish if the winter months bring in more poeple hiding from the cold and the dark. If they stil arent getting participation, I shall give up and accept that I simply cannot play in tournaments anymore - and the 'best players in the world'  ;) will come from the pool of people who can sit there all day if need, be to enter every single tournament in their time zone and win by sheer volume, not quality.

KissMyAss

For starters, I ran the tourney titles past both Patti and Tom.  Neither of them voiced any disapproval.  And since it was Tom who set up the automatic tourney for me, he had the chance while we were discussing the set up, to suggest I change the name.  Since neither of them had an issue with it, I would like to know WHO changed the title, and WHY they did so without consulting me.
If nobody can come up with an answer to both these questions, then I will simply leave.  You all seem to come to me with the 'rules' about how to show respect for other TD's and yet I seem to get none in return.  Regardless of how long I have been here, and who has been here longer than me, I AM A TD.  As such, I think the same rules apply to me too. Don't they?  If so, I would like my tourney titles back.  If not, well I would like to know why not.

Secondly, I HAVE tried running it at other times, and ended up butting against other tourneys that are running.  I have tried to work out the time difference thing with all the utc and all that, I CANNOT DO IT.  So there's no point telling me to look at the schedule.   

You mention that the time my tourney runs, is seven am for you Sixtie, therefore you can't make it.  Which is fine, I wouldn't be there at seven am my time either for a tourney.  But at the time when most of the tourneys of the regulars run, it is three am or thereabouts my time.  My kid doesn't even bother waking me then. 
Before it was auto set up, i ran tourneys at twelve midnite, two hours after they are set up for now.  And STILL nobody was able to join from the regular crew.  Oh they were online half the time, but didn't join for whatever reason.  Which I accept, people have the choice on whether they join or not.  Nobody has heard me complain once about that, because I haven't said a word about it, and won't be doing so any time soon.

But as Diane has said, the tourneys I run, are at an Australia friendly time.  And they could also be entered by those who are new to the tourney environment, who choose not to join when the stronger players are around, because of a confidence lack, or whatever.   I have had a few tourneys that didn't kick off due to lack of players, sure.  It's not like it inconveniences many, and i have messaged the people signed on, saying that it wont run due to lack of participation, and thanking them for joining my tourney. 

Moreover, when i first became td and started making tourneys, I said, and will stand by my words, that my tourneys were aimed more towards people from my side of the world, and as a friendly introduction for newbie tourney players.  I will continue to run these tourneys, whether they play or not, with that in mind.

Re the advertising..... I do advertise a LOT in shouts.  AND have been bounced for doing so.  NOT by Patti, because I actually have her approval.  I'm sure that if the frequency of my advertising gets out of hand, then she will let me know.  Until then, I will continue with the periodic advertising.

In summation, some of the more 'dodgy' tourney titles, have been the ones to attract newbie players, and i would like them returned to me, or a direct explanation from the one who changed it, as to why not.  Since I don't have an issue with any one of you, i don't understand the complete lack of respect I have been shown in this regard. 

As you all know, I don't get involved with online battles, and I am not angry about this, just saddened and disappointed.  I am approachable on this matter, and would like to discuss it directly with whoever is involved. 

Thank you.

diane

Quote from: sixty_something on April 14, 2011, 03:15:05 PM
yesterday, i noticed diane added five tourneys titled KMA's Salute to Erotica! to my Tourney Schedules[/url] thread

This is also a bit that concerned me...I had no idea it was YOUR tourney schedule, i thought it was just a useful list you compiled for the rest of fibs to refer to.

So - basically the state now is..KMA will run 'salute to erotica' 5 nights per week, and that should be listed.

Speak now if you dont want them in YOUR list, and we will do another list, with all the tourneys in it, so I can send newbies to a one stop tourney list...

KissMyAss

Right, since you have both been here, and no further comment has been made, I can only assume that the issue is over with.

I would like my tourney titles returned to what they were.  Last time I will ask nicely.

If it isn't done by the end of today, then I will take further action.  There was no need for them to be changed without consulting me.

moonshadow

Quote from: KissMyAss on April 15, 2011, 11:05:59 AM
As you all know, I don't get involved with online battles, and I am not angry about this . . . .

Quote from: KissMyAss on April 16, 2011, 02:42:02 AM
Last time I will ask nicely.
If it isn't done by the end of today, then I will take further action..  .   .

I presume this would be an offline battle action?

KissMyAss

Off site.  I only have connection to one fibs person offline.

socksey

Another thought on tournament participation........I think there may be too many tournaments scheduled.  I expressed my concern about this with Tom when he originally set up his tourneys to run Monday through Friday. 

I was thinking that the sheer numbers may create loss of interest and for myself, this is becoming true.  I was trying to play in all the tourneys and I was finding my home was suffering my loss of that time. 

Also, some phone users cannot see shouts which is where we advertise.  So when you are looking at total number of players and think "why aren't these people playing in the tourney?", it isn't quite as bad as it looks.  :)

socksey

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will
go to heaven - and very, very few persons. - James Thurber

sixty_something

good grief! i merely expressed my sincere opinion to what i thought was a sincere question, by KissMyAss -- "Do my tourney titles offend?".. i did not intend to start an international incident, but then i tend to forget this is FIBSland where even apparent adults often act and react like children

BTW, KissMyAss, i did not make ANY changes to your treasured tourney name .. as far as i know, diane, made all the changes .. so, don't look to me for explanations as to why it was changed or who did it .. i welcome your enthusiasm for creating FIBS tourneys that are accessible to you folks down under .. i also wish you luck in moving such "regularly scheduled" tourneys from regularly cancelled to regularly played and enjoyed

diane, i started and actively maintain the Tourneys Schedule thread .. just getting and keeping the times correct and reasonably understandable for FIBSters from all over the world was not an easy task, dealing with DST makes it almost comical for a week or two

i started the thread to help me keep FIBS tournament times straight .. i have actively maintained it in the spirit of service to the FIBS community and for the sole purpose of promoting participation in FIBS tournaments .. a position i continue to support .. pardon me, diane, for properly using the proper pronoun in describing "my thread" and my efforts .. if you find that offensive or inappropriate, get a grip

BTW, diane, since you have assumed responsibility for editing my post, please conform to the standards i created and include EDT (NYC time) for we Americans who may be interested in getting up early to play with you Aussies, salute erotica, and enjoy your charming Aussie personalities

dorbel, your cynicism and negativism regarding anything i suggest is not surprising .. it is, however, approaching pathetic .. i do wish you could use your considerable talents and energies for something positive every once in a while that is not self promoting or destructive of others attempts at positive action .. regardless, my experience with tournaments at FIBS continues to support my hope that good tournaments promote civility and good sportsmanship .. i regret that is not your experience or hope
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

dorbel

Quoteregardless, my experience with tournaments at FIBS continues to support my hope that good tournaments promote civility and good sportsmanship .. i regret that is not your experience or hope

We have all seen some astonishing scenes in recent months, where tournaments have been the scene of rudeness and disruption, sometimes from participants, sometimes from bystanders who have turned up entirely for the purpose of annoying people. Apparently 60 has either not seen these or has managed to forget them. However he is wrong to say that civil and sporting contests are not something that I hope for. Backgammon without friendly and sporting participants is meaningless in my opinion, which is why I no longer play in the tournaments where this sort of thing happens.
Until TDs find the will and the way to deal with disruptive elements, both playing and non-playing, we will continue to see such scenes. Don't shoot the messenger 60. I'm only pointing out what actually happens and comparing it to your somewhat rose-tinted view of fibs tournaments.

diane

Quote from: sixty_something on April 17, 2011, 01:21:59 PM
I started and actively maintain the Tourneys Schedule thread .. just getting and keeping the times correct and reasonably understandable for FIBSters from all over the world was not an easy task, dealing with DST makes it almost comical for a week or two

i started the thread to help me keep FIBS tournament times straight .. i have actively maintained it in the spirit of service to the FIBS community

if you find that offensive or inappropriate, get a grip

BTW, diane, since you have assumed responsibility for editing my post.

I am trying not to continue to respond negatively here, when you approached my the other night with your 'concerns', I had just failed to get to play in one of the few tournaments I can actually attend, because it didnt get enough to run.  I am a bit despondent about that, I do miss being able to play. Consequently your patronising comments did not get the best response, even if you didnt mean them that way, that is how they came across.

In your post, you talk about the thread you posted being for the fibs community, which is how I have always perceived it, along with the main link from the main page...which is why them suddenly getting the possessive pronoun took me by surprise. As for offensive or innapropriate, well, I can only assume you havent had a red head in your grip for a while... ;)

When I started my two tourneys up, you suggested I edited your list of tourneys, I wasn't keen and asked you. You did, and I was more comfortable with that. You are not here as regularly, or as often as some fibsters though, and with KMAs, I hadnt seen you around, so I tried to be proactive and get them advertised, as much as anything because of the lack of participation. Since you had offered before, I didnt see a problem.

I have also been trying to put mine straight, since DST, and me changing the times, both were wildly wrong in one or more time zone.  I have put that right.

That leads me to your next point about EDT..at this point, I go back to  preferring to have a separate 'general' tourney schedule, in two time zones..UTC [universal time] and the local time zone. To my way of thinking, it is pretty meaningless, as well as a mammoth waste of my precious time to try and post the times of my tournaments in universal time, local time for 3 separate Australians time zones [with and without DST], 5 time zones in America, plus Japan, Europe [how many zones?], Hawaii, Canada and UK....given that the time zones most likely to be able to make these tournaments are in the southern hemisphere, and UK and Europe.

I feel very strongly that UTC and local is enough, then anyone else can do their own conversions from a variety of websites.

You can maintain your thread in whatever time zone suits you [which is a very small corner of the fibs world, even if it does put up the majority of players for regular tourneys right now.]

The link on the front page should go to the general thread - with a link to yours, and you can keep both the local times, and the DST hazards under control there  ;)

dorbel

Why is posting tournaments at their UTC time difficult? Every computer knows what time zone it is in and how that relates to UTC. Can't see the difficulty there for any computer user, whether TD or player.