News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

KMA's Tourney Titles

Started by KissMyAss, April 04, 2011, 02:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

trust me, dorbel, it is more than just UTC .. coordinating and scheduling tourneys at FIBS (a job description no one owns, but several of us are involved in) is more demanding and exacting than difficult, but it is a pain in the ass .. i think diane, KMA, and myself have demonstrated as much in this little thread alone .. when this stuff causes three reasonably intelligent friends, four including you (seven including socksey, Patti, and Tom), to stir up emotions like these, there is something difficult going on, but it ain't UTC, EDT, AEST, or Texas time -- WTF it is remains to be seen

actually, i know exactly what it is .. IMO, it is just a clash of our Jungian archtypes .. our King, Queen, Warrior, and Lover selves are in combat .. just as in real life, when those archtypes, aspects of our personalities, engage with others, all hell can break lose at the spur of the moment .. when such combat errupts, it escalates to mortal combat in the blink of an eye or the click of the mouse when we hit send .. as in life, when reactions are over the top or just out of control, whatever the real issue is is seldom the trigger, i.e. something stinks in Denmark and it ain't the cheese
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

dorbel

No emotions are stirred here I assure you. The use of an UTC to schedule tournaments for a worldwide clientele seems to me to be so easy and so obvious that I can't comprehend the problem.

sixty_something

yes, i am sure UTC is a mindless thing for most Europeans .. while a growing number here in the states use UTC conversions readily, most Americans have never heard of it or have any need for it .. in the states, the Eastern time zone (EDT or NYC time) is our base reference point primarily because of television, sporting events, sitcoms, etc

but as i said before, UTC is NOT the issue that is the problem
e-mail me

garp_02

Can we put this one to bed yet?

Quite frankly, it's turning into the usual Fibs 'debate'..... i.e. nothing to do with the actual 'problem' and more to do with petty greivances and certain members' need to flex their virtual muscle.

It's a little backgammon site and we should all be happy to enjoy playing and have a little friendly banter. If some need this place to be aggressive or show off in some way, then that says a lot about their personal life.

Get a grip...........organise tourneys...........have fun in a challenging backgammon arena .....and drop the shite.

dorbel

Fibs Time is UTC. Failing that, one  can (in Windows) right click on the time display in the borrom right hand corner of the screen, select "adjust date/time" and see a nice display of the world's time zones. No doubt Macs and modern phones have something similar.
However, that isn't the problem. So, what is the problem?

diane

FYI..more Americans than you imagine use UTC..doing business in a global economy, with computers, depends on a single time zone - and UTC is it.

It isnt a European time zone, it is a scientific one...

QuoteCoordinated Universal Time (abbreviated UTC)[1] is the time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. Computer servers, online services and other entities that rely on having a universally accepted time use UTC for that purpose.

It was initiated from the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology and is the time zone used for international business, aviation, sailing and just about anything that needs tio be understood at both ends  ;)

It is also - as dorbel points out, easily added to your computer, and all other time zones are quoted as the offset from UTC.

Come on, you can do it..I almost have  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

moonshadow123

.  .  . tournaments in universal time, local time for 3 separate Australians time zones [with and without DST], 5 time zones in America, plus Japan, Europe [how many zones?], Hawaii, Canada and UK....given that the time zones most likely to be able to make these tournaments are in the southern hemisphere, and UK and Europe.

What makes the UTC issue so amusing is that it has nothing to do with Jungian archetype red herrings and everything to do with 60 cleverly hopping around the rational and very convincing arguments others have given as to why UTC is ideal.

Quote from: sixty_something on April 19, 2011, 03:22:26 PM
yes, i am sure UTC is a mindless thing for most Europeans .. while a growing number here in the states use UTC conversions readily, most Americans have never heard of it or have any need for it .. in the states, the Eastern time zone (EDT or NYC time) is our base reference point primarily because of television, sporting events, sitcoms, etc

but as i said before, UTC is NOT the issue that is the problem

I do appreciate the 60 two step and I do agree that "UTC is not the issue".

The real issue is educating my ignorant and solipsist American countrymen about UTC, a task for which 60 is well-equipped to do. Its certainly a lot easier than trying to explain Jungian archetypes.  ;)

sixty_something

thanks, moon .. i fully agree and am on board with UTC whole heartedly .. knowing full well that tomorrow is winding down for diane and KMA not to mention that today is already yesterday for you and dorbel is not nearly as befuddling to me as it once was

diane, i am sure that my fellow 'mericans you deal with are UTC fluent .. but trust me, a man on the street survey would not yield 1 in 100 who had a clue .. the number one answer would be "Some kind of contraceptive device" .. most of my fellow 'mericans are dumber than one of dorbel's fenceposts when it comes to some things

BTW, moonshadow, my lover wants me to ask your lover for a dance :wub:, but my warrior is still a little too homophobic .. he really doesn't want to deal with my queen energy  :s12:
e-mail me

KissMyAss

lol sixtie.  I can usually be found in either tomorrow or ten years ago.  I try to hit tomorrow as much as I can though, cos ten years ago, well... where was i? .......................  

25.... oh yes, mid twenties.  That was a time of living alone, no child, out on the town most nites, many weird and wonderful bevvies, tramping round town after the local band i had the hots for one of the members of..... ah the good old days.  lol

The sparkling blue eyes and the cheeky double-dimpled grin of Miss Beautiful are worth much more to me than all of that combined with a naked Gene Simmons.  

Right, lets see if the technically challenged managed to get the pic in there the right way.  :)

Ok it didnt work, and i looked up on the help menu.  It says how to type a website address in between the two img brackets, but the pic is in my computer not some website.  So I dunno. 

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

socksey

dorbel, i could only get my windows clock to display 2 time zones, max, btw, which is not enough for me. 

KMA, this is what I keep displayed on one of my Internet Explorer windows at all times to keep me straight for my time purposes:  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=4&day=23&year=2011&p1=0&p2=70&p3=47&p4=248  If you need more timezones than that, click on the "time zones" "meeting planner" and set them up as you like.  If you use Mozilla Firefox, you can set time zones up to display across the bottom of the window.  At any rate, time zones should not be a problem for you or anyone, if you do use one of these methods.

60, the military in the USA uses GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) which is exactly the same as UTC (Universal Time Coordinated or Coordinated Universal Time).  I learned this time method being a military wife, and it is easy for me to use this conversian to my own time zone, but not for world time zones, and that is why I use the above paragraphed reference.  Btw, I took the liberty of changing the linked reference to "World Clock" on the "tourney times" page to show  the "meeting planner" page, since worldclock.com has changed it's format so that the meeting planner is not so readily available by tab now.  You have to search for it by going to "time zone", then "meeting planner".

socksey

"Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build bridges even when there are no rivers." – Nikita Khrushchev, Premier of the Soviet Union, born in 1894

sixty_something

thanks for the heads up, socks .. i went into the Tourneys Schedule thread for maintenance for the first time since the DST changes .. it was a mess complete with bad times for at least three or four tourneys including the Thursday Bago .. i spent several hours after the time changes trying to get it right .. i thought it was, but i know better than to bet on that .. i spent another couple of hours today cleaning up the mess

i don't think it was your fault, socks, or diane's, but i am convinced that editing that thread by committee needs to stop .. so, for the future, please advise me if changes need to be made and do not make additions or deletions .. i think we all agree it is important that the info the Tourneys Schedule thread be current, correct, and consistent .. your help in keeping it that way will be appreciated, but i will resume full responsibility for it beginning now

BTW, the problem is neither UTC time conversion or archetypal .. it is just the reporting of complicated and changing information .. it isn't rocket science, but it isn't as easy as you might expect .. to simplify and standardize the format, i am settling on UTC and ET (EDT) for the two time zones listed for each tourney .. therefore, i have removed your "Texas time" reference on F3 and Mini-Matches, socks .. i am leaving AEST for now on the three new Aussie tourneys, but i am leaning toward removing that ASAP .. frankly, i am about ready to bite the bullet and go with UTC alone, but, for now, it is what it is

the other major change i made was at KMA's instruction .. for now, only her Wednesday night tourney which is started automatically by TourneyBot is listed .. the name change to Krazy Kiwi Klassic was decided by KMA and is solely her choice and responsibility .. for the record, KMA has credited me with suggesting the Kiwi Klassic part .. i did, but i certainly did not demand it .. IMO, we can call our tourneys anything we like providing they are fun, but erring on the side of trying not to offend anyone has to be the better way to go .. regardless, thanks for changing it, KMA, and continued success with your other tourneys .. if and when you'd like to add one or more of them to the schedule as well, just let me know
e-mail me

KissMyAss

Thanks sixtie, I will.   :)

And I wouldn't have come up with Kiwi Klassic by myself, so yes I credit you with the suggestion; would never take credit for something that wasn't my work.  I just came up with the Krazy bit, cos ya'll know me, and you know it fits!  lolol

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

sixty_something

thanks, darl' .. sixtie likes it .. i just wanted to make it clear i didn't put any pressure on you to change it -- not that that matters, people will think what they want .. as long as we keep doing it to promote fun, it is all good
e-mail me

KissMyAss

:alien: :grrr: :oops: :off_topic: :stupid: :ban: :funnypost: :sorry: :wub: :cool: :laugh: :)

Muppet did the above faces. if it has colours and looks like cartoons, they are her domain.

Sixtie is starting to sound like eenie... is he sure eenie is not his brother?  lol

Yeah, all the clarification in the world is sometimes still not enough. But ya get that.   :yes:

KissMyAss

Just feelin good about myself, so am posting.   

14 players not counting me, in my tourney tonite!   Hugest one ever! 

crille_, inim, uppercrustie, pollemanden, EchoSierra, TourneyDirector, aramat, ifaesfu, Cigale, Perfect_Celle, roygbiv, Damma, conjuror, jackdaddy, griff

Thanks to you all.  :)

KissMyAss

Special thanks go out to sixtie, for adding my Krazy Kiwi Klassic tourney to the TPR listing. 

i really appreciate all the support out there.  :)