News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

IIBGF (International Internet Backgammon Federation) - General

Started by dorbel, May 06, 2011, 08:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorbel

Some of you may know Leonardo Jerkovic from Croatia. He has founded an organisation called the International Internet Backgammon Federation. The aim of the IIBGF is to gather together Internet players in tournaments and ranking events, in order to award points towards titles as chess does, Master, International Master, Grand Master and so on. I think that he intends to move towards an Internet World Championship and that the organisation will eventually become a true Federation taking in all serious Internet players. At present, matches are being played on GridGammon, but there is no real reason why matches shouldn't be played on Fibs, or indeed any server which permits the saving of matches. Registration is free and players interested in some tough matches might like to go to http://iibgf.weebly.com/index.html .
I have registered, but I am not any more than just a member, so please address questions and queries to Leonardo himself.

diane

Interesting site - will spend a bit more time there...meanwhile this interested me..so thought I would share it, in case anyone else missed it.

Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

we can dedicate this topic to its own board if discussion merits -- am i right in thinking you need to enter their promo match leagues to start off?

KDP

QuoteAt present, matches are being played on GridGammon, but there is no real reason why matches shouldn't be played on Fibs, or indeed any server which permits the saving of matches.

according to their rules, the matches can be played on any server that can save the match:

c. Games shall be played by using any internet backgammon server which allows match recordings. Players mutually agree on which internet backgammon server they play and are subject to their terms.

sounds like an interesting format (2- 13 pt matches vs each player) it would be nice to see more fibsters involved.

stog

I see that the SIGNUP link on their homepage  now includes the server you use (you have to Register first, and receive an ID)

sixty_something

i signed up, but haven't received any info on how to participate in anything .. is there something else i should do?
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

stog

click the new  SIGNUP link on their homepage (once you have registered and received your ID
then we must be patient ;)

stog

ok update / and new Board for matters arising........

i have received an email with the league and have just played my first IIBF match on FIBS  

- our Fibs based league is as follows

IBGF Promotion - Masters Class Section 005 has been published and ready to be played on FIBS online server.

Each opponent plays each opponent 2 matches to 13 points by mutual agreement.

Tournament Director: Rick Janowski (Zagloba)

List of players:

1.boop
2.cloxo
3.diane
4.hookipa
5.jackdaddy
6.Julia_H
7.Linus
8.Perfect_Celle
9.silent_greek
10.stog
11.yuri

moonshadow

There are 2 IIBF tourneys that have just started that will be played here on FIBS. (see above post for links)

The Tournament Director is Rick Janowski, who plays on FIBS under the usernames Zagloba and Zbyszko.

If there are any questions or issues specifically regarding these 2 tourneys, contact TD Rick.

Any questions regarding any other matter regarding the IIBF should be directed to Leonardo Jerkovic.

email contact:  iibackgammonfederation@gmail.com

moonshadow

When the IIBF was presented on fibsboard I went to the website, gave it a cursory glance and decided it was not for me.

I came away with the impression that this was mainly a league of world class players like mochy and stick and I would be completely outclassed and would merely serve as cannon fodder for the current Giants of backgammon.

I also noted at the time that although the rules stated matches could be played on any backgammon server that has the capability of saving matches, it seemed most of the matches were being played on Grid Gammon where I don't have an account and at the time I couldn't foresee that IIBF tourneys would be played on FIBS.

So when Zagloba first approached me in FIBS tells about registering for the IIBF I politely ignored him, as I had already made up my mind that this was not for me.

But I was wrong.

And it was only a short time ago when the divisions were being finalized that I registered at the last minute after having chatted with Zagloba, who had quickly cleared up my misconceptions.

First, Zagloba had organized two tournaments exclusively for FIBs players to be played on the FIBS server—one didn't have to have a Grid Gammon account.

Second, there was a lot more players in the IIBF than backgammon Giants and I would be grouped with players more at my level of play.

Third, though the IIBF may seem a bit complex in scope with ambitious goals and a website that has a lot of information to digest, at its basic level its really pretty simple to get started.

First, you register, then you are put in a division with about 11 people and over the course of several months you play everyone two 13 point matches.  That's it.

It can perhaps be compared in some manner to the FLG that Tomawaky has run for the last decade on FIBS. (And Tomawaky is playing in a IIBF division tournament)

If you have a FIBS rating of 1700+ (this is not a hard and fast rule, just my suggestion) and you like playing 13 point matches in a round robin style tournament setting, then this may be for you.

moonshadow

Rick (Zagloba) said that probably within the next 2 weeks a new bracket will open up for new incoming FIBSters and he will serve as Tournament Director.

There are already a couple of FIBSters registered who will be put in this bracket. (11 players are needed for a bracket)

For those that haven't signed up and would like to, do it now.

http://iibgf.weebly.com/iibgf-registration.html

moonshadow

Quote from: stog on June 22, 2011, 01:37:49 PM
ok update / and new Board for matters arising........

i have received an email with the league and have just played my first IIBF match on FIBS  

- our Fibs based league is as follows

IBGF Promotion - Masters Class Section 005 has been published and ready to be played on FIBS online server.

Each opponent plays each opponent 2 matches to 13 points by mutual agreement.

Tournament Director: Rick Janowski (Zagloba)

List of players:

1.boop
2.cloxo
3.diane
4.hookipa
5.jackdaddy
6.Julia_H
7.Linus
8.Perfect_Celle
9.silent_greek
10.stog
11.yuri

The second IIBF bracket for FIBSters has opened and play has commenced.

IIBGF Master Norm Section 006

1.CHill
2.damocles
3.filos
4.inim
5.moonshadow
6.Stoerchle
7.SuperDavek
8.dorbel
9.gumpi
10.runnerup
11.KDP
12.elmicho
13.skater

sixty_something

thanks for the reminder, moonshadow .. i had already registered, but never could figure out just how to sign up for anything .. so, if already registered and confused like i was, simply go to their home page and follow the signup link at http://iibgf.weebly.com

if not registerd yet, http://iibgf.weebly.com/iibgf-registration.html then signup for a tourney
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

moonshadow

Quote from: sixty_something on June 25, 2011, 07:14:49 PM
thanks for the reminder, moonshadow .. i had already registered, but never could figure out just how to sign up for anything .. so, if already registered and confused like i was, simply go to their home page and follow the signup link at http://iibgf.weebly.com

if not registerd yet, http://iibgf.weebly.com/iibgf-registration.html then signup for a tourney

The reason you weren't included in the current FIBS brackets is that when you registered, you probably did not include what server you play on  (in this case, FIBS) and therefore you got lost in the shuffle, as the IIBF didn't know what server you play on.

This may be a bit confusing because one is supposed to put both the server they play on and their username in the same text field.  And even if you just put your username in that field and forgot to put in the server you play on as well, the form doesn't generate an error message.

This will eventually get sorted out (per TD Rick)

Also note that after you register, that's all one needs to do--you do not 'sign up for a bracket,' but will be placed in one.

Received this from TD Zagloba:
QuoteThe correct and normal procedure is:

1. Register with the IIBGF using the link: http://iibgf.weebly.com/iibgf-registration.html

2. Receive confirmation of player registration by email with unique registration number

3. Sign up to tournaments (ie, make oneself available for the next suitable tournament) by using the link: http://iibgf.weebly.com/iibgf-tournaments.html (this requires the reg no)

Note that to speed things up for the first two tournaments and simplify things, I enabled a few players to bypass stage 3. However, this is irregular.

moonshadow123

Someone recently registered for the IIBF and mistakenly sent this email (name withheld for privacy) to me for further action. 

I really have nothing to do with the IIBF other than I like the concept, am quite enthusiastic that Zagloba has made the effort to organize some IIBF tourneys exclusively for FIBSters, and I have posted what some explanations that may prove useful to those to those who like myself, had some misconceptions about the IIBF. 

QuoteI registered using GG as my server.  Can you also add me to the fibs tourney list?

Thanks.

This is matter is being resolved, but as mentioned previously in this thread, all IIBF queries should be directed to:

FIBS related IIBF tourneys, Rick (Zagloba)

All other inquires, Leonardo Jerkovic.

(email contact)
iibackgammonfederation@gmail.com

Also, if you have general questions or need clarification on something, post them here.

PersianLord

Great idea, but some points:

1- The 'International Internet Backgammon Server' should not be hosted on a free page. It needs a dedicated server & database.

2- The supervision should be way stricter and time grace shorter. Letting a 11-lot tourney to run from June 2011 to January 2012 doesn't impress me. This way it will take perhaps a century to decide FIBS master alone.

3- Why Iran can't be chosen in the drop-down menu of nationalities?

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

Zagloba

I am Rick Janowski, acting as the IIBGF Tournament Director for the recent tournaments started on FIBS. I play on FIBS under the normal username Zagloba (and occasionally as Zbyszko where I play in the FIBS League). Some may recognize my name from my analytical work on match equities and doubling cube theory. I was also a very active live tournament player throughout the 90s, but stopped playing for nearly ten years ago before the bg bug got through my immune system again about two years ago. I have also become active in promoting an international approach to online backgammon through the IIBGF.

Firstly, on behalf of IIBGF, I would like to say how encouraged we are at the great success the first two tournaments are proving, which makes us very optimistic for the success of future IIBGF events on FIBS. Also we are very grateful for the very useful and helpful support and feedback received from fibsters through online messages, emails, and especially through this fibsboard discussion group. We are looking to redesign the IIBGF website over the next few months and the lessons learnt should be invaluable in improving efficiency and user friendliness. I would particularly like to express my gratitude to Moonshadow for providing excellent background and explanation of the IIBGF goals and processes, and for dealing with specific teething problems. Thank you Moonshadow!

With regard to some of the specific questions raised I would like to make the following commentary on specific points.
•   Registration difficulties – some of the early registrations did not include details of the players username or preferred backgammon server. This has been addressed by modifying the questionnaire form. However, where registered members are unsure as to whether these details were originally stipulated it would be prudent to email the relevant details through to us.
•   Tournament sign-up issues – where players play on more than one server it is essential that the FIBS nickname is provided and that "FIBS" is included in the Server details.
•   IIBGF Server – whilst the IIBGF is a voluntary free-of-charge organisation, where monies are not generated from membership fees or sponsorships, a dedicated server and database cannot be financed.
•   Format of Tournaments – the format and length of round robin tournaments, which roughly corresponds to one13-point match per week, has been chosen specifically to be practically suitable for the greatest number of players. Specifying a shorter period would close the door to too many players. Players who want more action can enter more than one tournament at a time if their preference is for more action. Promotions to higher division are possible after one tournament and, for the best performers to obtain masterships after two or three tournaments. Experience has shown that the supervision of IIBGF tournaments is not considered to be problematic.
•   Nationality drop down menus – the database used covers all countries including Iran, but some of the countries are not in alphabetical order, eg, Iran is near the end of the list. This should be resolved in the future redesign of the site. However, fortunately this has not proven problematic in practice, eg, Iran has the second highest number of registered members after USA.

Once again, thank you all for your great help and positive encouragement/support.
Kind regards,
Rick Janowski, IIBGF Tournament Director

PersianLord

Quote from: Zagloba on June 28, 2011, 04:53:49 PM
I am Rick Janowski, acting as the IIBGF Tournament Director for the recent tournaments started on FIBS. I play on FIBS under the normal username Zagloba (and occasionally as Zbyszko where I play in the FIBS League). Some may recognize my name from my analytical work on match equities and doubling cube theory. I was also a very active live tournament player throughout the 90s, but stopped playing for nearly ten years ago before the bg bug got through my immune system again about two years ago. I have also become active in promoting an international approach to online backgammon through the IIBGF.

Firstly, on behalf of IIBGF, I would like to say how encouraged we are at the great success the first two tournaments are proving, which makes us very optimistic for the success of future IIBGF events on FIBS. Also we are very grateful for the very useful and helpful support and feedback received from fibsters through online messages, emails, and especially through this fibsboard discussion group. We are looking to redesign the IIBGF website over the next few months and the lessons learnt should be invaluable in improving efficiency and user friendliness. I would particularly like to express my gratitude to Moonshadow for providing excellent background and explanation of the IIBGF goals and processes, and for dealing with specific teething problems. Thank you Moonshadow!

With regard to some of the specific questions raised I would like to make the following commentary on specific points.
•   Registration difficulties – some of the early registrations did not include details of the players username or preferred backgammon server. This has been addressed by modifying the questionnaire form. However, where registered members are unsure as to whether these details were originally stipulated it would be prudent to email the relevant details through to us.
•   Tournament sign-up issues – where players play on more than one server it is essential that the FIBS nickname is provided and that "FIBS" is included in the Server details.
•   IIBGF Server – whilst the IIBGF is a voluntary free-of-charge organisation, where monies are not generated from membership fees or sponsorships, a dedicated server and database cannot be financed.
•   Format of Tournaments – the format and length of round robin tournaments, which roughly corresponds to one13-point match per week, has been chosen specifically to be practically suitable for the greatest number of players. Specifying a shorter period would close the door to too many players. Players who want more action can enter more than one tournament at a time if their preference is for more action. Promotions to higher division are possible after one tournament and, for the best performers to obtain masterships after two or three tournaments. Experience has shown that the supervision of IIBGF tournaments is not considered to be problematic.
•   Nationality drop down menus – the database used covers all countries including Iran, but some of the countries are not in alphabetical order, eg, Iran is near the end of the list. This should be resolved in the future redesign of the site. However, fortunately this has not proven problematic in practice, eg, Iran has the second highest number of registered members after USA.

Once again, thank you all for your great help and positive encouragement/support.
Kind regards,
Rick Janowski, IIBGF Tournament Director

Greetings Rick,

Very encouraging to see that IIBF has such responsible admins. Cheers.

I got a question/suggestion:

What about organizing 'National Master' tournaments too? It would be nice to see 'Olympiads' after each nation's masters are decided.

Regards,

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

Zagloba

Hi PL,

Thanks for the kind words.

In addition to the normal roundrobin tournaments, in the future, the IIBGF will also promote/organise other types of tournaments as follows:

•   World Internet BG Championships
•   Zonal Internet BG Championships
•   Internet BG Olympiads (World Championships for National Teams)
•   World Cup Tournament
•   National Internet BG Championships (in association with National BG Bodies where appropriate)

Further details may be found on the Rules page of the IIBGF website.

The National bodies for each country can agree with us the preferred format of the National Championships. Most participating countries have Provisional National Delegates already. Parviz Rokh who is very supportive to the IIBGF and a great force for backgammon generally, performs this role for Iran.

Regards,

Rick

Zagloba

A new topic thread within the International Internet Backgammon Federation sub-forum has been added to address discussion relating to IIBGF tournament procedures and associated advice.

Zagloba

A new topic within the International Internet Backgammon Federation sub-forum has been added to address discussion relating to the periodical IIBGF Update Reports. The June 2011 Update and subsequent discussion threads, originally covered within this topic, have been moved to the IIBGF Update Reports topic thread.

moonshadow

With little fanfare the third tournament of FIBS players registered in the IIBGF has just commenced:

http://iibgf.weebly.com/promotionmasters006.html

Masters Class 006

yuri
Kristoffer
rawo
krazula
mano
PersianLord
virtuosity
paulc
yoyo
Hardy_whv
DiceMechanic

stog

garp_02

can anyone tell me where to find e-mail addresses in order to arrange matches please?

moonshadow

Quote from: garp_02 on July 27, 2011, 12:41:59 PM
can anyone tell me where to find e-mail addresses in order to arrange matches please?

Right now the email addresses aren't available and its intended that one use the fibs 'message' system to contact opponents. (I know because I already asked TD Zagloba).

I've played a fair number of IIBGF matches and I haven't found not having opponents' email addresses has been an issue--most are keen to play and respond to a fibs 'message'.

I'm sure if this ends up being an issue the TD would have some means of facilitating communication between players.

Perhaps Zagloba could add some comments here as well.

Tomawaky

if the player has subscribed in FLG and you too, you can use the mail form to send mail to this player
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

garp_02

Thanks you two.

There is at least one player in my group who isn't in FLG - not even sure if he's Fibs.

I'm sure it'll be fine though - everyone seems eager to get things moving - new league etc etc.

Cheers,

Garp

garp_02

Found him/her with 'whois'

Can you give me a quick rundown on the 'message' command?

moonshadow

Quote from: garp_02 on July 27, 2011, 10:41:04 PM
Found him/her with 'whois'

Can you give me a quick rundown on the 'message' command?

message <username> <your message>

type the above in the command line where username is the name of the person you wish to send the message and 'message' is what ever you want to say.

Alternatively, if you have javafibs, add the person you wish to contact as a friend, click the friends name and select the 'leave message' command. Type your message in the pop up box and send it.

garp_02

garp_02

moonshadow

Unfortunately, it is effectively dead. It was a great idea.

I confirmed this with Dubrovnik, who cited bad health and that one else wanted to be involved in it.

My opinion, based on first hand reports from various Tournament Directors and others involved, is that Dubrovnik, to put it mildly, is an extremely poor and incompetent manager and that he alone is responsible for its failure.

The problem is not that people don't want to be involved, as Dubrovnik told me,  its that most everyone that was involved ended up quitting because it was impossible for them to work with him.

garp_02

I'm assuming that much of that was tongue-in-cheek Moon?

diane

Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

i offered assistance and agreed  to skype a meeting; we  actually set up a test forum for him to use as they wanted, but he was very defensive and undelegating; and in fact fairly ungracious and i drew the impression that any involvement would be a thankless and difficult task so i never pursued any further help

it could be that there were language issues but he did seem quite inflexibile, so maybe he has not been in good health
shame because it allowed for greater bg interaction and could of led to more server competitions!

what happened with the last inter server comp btw?

moonshadow

Quote from: stog on February 25, 2012, 02:19:25 PM
i offered assistance and agreed  to skype a meeting; we  actually set up a test forum for him to use as they wanted, but he was very defensive and undelegating; and in fact fairly ungracious and i drew the impression that any involvement would be a thankless and difficult task so i never pursued any further help

Yes, I was aware of your offers of assistance and so forth and you were wise to not pursue the matter. Your assessment of Dubrovnik is also correct as he treats the opinions and contributions of others with the utmost disrespect and contempt, vastly overrates his own capabilities and intelligence and once he has what he needs from you, discards you on the trash heap of broken promises and commitments.

Suffice it to say that the reason many of the top players in backgammon like stick, mochi, steamsax and falafel initially joined the IIBG, and thereby giving it almost instant credibility, was not because of Dubrovnik and his winsome ways.

it could be that there were language issues but he did seem quite inflexibile, so maybe he has not been in good health
shame because it allowed for greater bg interaction and could of led to more server competitions!

Though not proficient in English, language was not the issue and neither was health.

what happened with the last inter server comp btw?

I gather it died along with the rest.

One of the reasons I am so angry about this whole thing other than the fact I enjoyed playing in the format is that it really was good concept and there were so many positive things that could have been done with it if only it had been run properly and not by [...] who ruined it by driving away any and all that would work with him.

personal bashing edited out - Zorba

taulajoe

Hi all!

Please check:

ebif-e.blogspot.com

this bottom up structure is developed for alle this enthusiastic players - which participated at iibgf - and like to work together for one idea: playing backgammon online with national and international tournaments a common elorating - and also erroratedatabase..

happy for you feedback and help!!!

bernhard mayr - taulajoe

KDP

That's fine for all you guys in Europe, but what about us in the US/Canada?

dubrovnik

Quote from: moonshadow on February 25, 2012, 12:12:34 AM
Unfortunately, it is effectively dead. It was a great idea.

I confirmed this with Dubrovnik, who cited bad health and that one else wanted to be involved in it.

My opinion, based on first hand reports from various Tournament Directors and others involved, is that Dubrovnik, to put it mildly, is an extremely poor and incompetent manager and that he alone is responsible for its failure.

The problem is not that people don't want to be involved, as Dubrovnik told me,  its that most everyone that was involved ended up quitting because it was impossible for them to work with him.

:cool: