News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2011 cheers! ..thx godwinson, webrunner, stog, spielberg*, hartkegirl, KissMyAss*, ettu*,  jackdaddy*, diane, caleb, sixty_something*, Zorba*, aviator, Tom*, anonymous*, roygbiv*, r_monk *

Main Menu

You suck

Started by connell, June 12, 2011, 02:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

connell

One thing that to this day angers me, 5 or 6 years after it happened, is I see Pattie post that she will not tolerate abusive behavior on FIBS.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I started playing FIBS after I had been on it for many years and then quit for a couple years.  I came back and my rating naturally shot up.

When I quit, I had a rating of 1700 and experience of 39,000.  Some idiots filed complaints about me on repbot and i had a negative rating.  The only abuse I have ever taken on FIBS is from you people and supportors of repbot who attacked me because of this negative rating, which was based on stupid complaints.  Yet there you sit, despite the fact that you abused me.

I sought help, even though I explained that I previously had experience of 39,000 - I received none!!!!

I discovered that there is no way to appeal a complaint or even find out why it was made.  Some complaints are made just because the complainer feels like it.  Suppose you are playing and your wife calls you for dinner.  You explain that you have to go to dinner and leave.  The person files a complaint agains you (sometimes the match is tied or you are even winning), which is actually contrary to the FIBS faq, which says that you should not complain unless you ask a person to rejoin the match and he refuses.  There is no way to do anything about this.  The complaint goes down.  YOu just have to accept it - even though the other person is really the one acting contrary to FIBS rules because he did not wait to ask you to rejoing before filing the complaint.

In my opinion, what you people do is actually a form of slander - because often times complaints have no basis.  The complaint is a false statement and you are spreading it around.  In my view, people then abuse you based upon these bogus complaints.

The only way I had to avoid the abuse from your repbot was to start a new account under a new name.  I have now been on this account for 5 or 6 years, I have a rating of 1800 and experience of 7500.  My rating on repbot is good.

So I guess even you repbot idiots have to accept that even if did something bad in the past, I am now repbot certified good.

As someone who is repbot certified good, I say that the program sucks.  You can't have a program that allows people to make complaints against you and have no way to find out why or no way to appeal or get stupid complaints removed.  The person can make a complaint for no good reason and it stays there and there is no way to have it removed even if the person had no good reason.  If repbot says that a player is no good for no good reason or based on the complaint which was made for no good reason, in my view you have slandered them.  In my view, that's what you do.  In my view, that's what happened to me.

The best way to avoid droppers and abuse on FIBS is to not play anyway who has experience under 200 or who makes any indication that they support repbot.  That is all that is required.  Yet you create this complex system, which sucks.  It is not necessary to avoid cheaters or abusers.  Repbot was created so you can have feelings of power and abuse people.  If you avoid repbotters and people with experience under 200, your FIBS life will be full of joy.

I hate you.

socksey

You're getting your reputation confused with your rating or vice versa.  There are no rules when using Repbot, there are only opinions.  You glean from repbot what you put into it and what those you know put into it.  You also check saved games.  Then you add all the info up and decide.  Repbot is merely a tool and tools can be abused.  Your own intelligence takes it from there.  You 'might' suck, too.  :)

socksey

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." – Catfish Hunter, American baseball player, born in 1946

diane

Repbot was not created to give anyone power or joy..it was made simply as a tool to help tell good players from bad players.

What can I say - it got abused, that wasnt the fault of the creator, nor the tool.

It has always worked best by interpretting the data properly, and any good fibster will do that, the rest arent good - so dont worry about playing them..there lies misery  ;)

Things have changed dramtically in the last 5 or 6 years to fix the very problems you described..

So, no complaints or vouches unless you have played someone in the last 24 hours. [The people who choose to abuse this new functionality will invite you - or get you in a tourney, wait 23 hours and 59 minutes, then place a complaint  ;) What can I say - they have no lives  ;)]  

The abuse is down dramatically, with much stricter penalties for not following that.

FIBs is changing - come back..there are still bad eggs, but less than they were - and diminishing.

The main thing to know now, is about the phone users - read the other threads, and learn how to manage them.

FIBs is not intended to be some private club for a few people who can be nastier than anyone else..it is for all, all tools are in place to try and make that so.  Please come and try it - but it would help if you could make your comments more constructive..than aggressive.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

Another hint..........ask everyone you play to vouch for you and many will.  It's easy to overcome a bad reputation if you are just polite, finish matches, and ask for a vouch.   :yes:

socksey

"A plague on eminence! I hardly dare cross the street anymore without a convoy, and I am stared at wherever I go like an idiot member of a royal family or an animal in a zoo; and zoo animals have been known to die from stares."  – Igor Stravinsky, Russian composer, who died in 1971

connell

'Your own intelligence takes it from there.  You 'might' suck, too." 

I might very well suck.  But since repbot says I am a good guy, then if I do suck your system is still flawed.

I am not angry about repbot because it is not or was not perfect.  I am angry because you offerred no freaking help and I suffered abuse.  I also received a lot of posts from people, typically men, who said something to the effect that well you must have done something bad because repbot said you are bad.  I cannot think of more circular reasoning.

So my circular reasoning is that repbot now says I am good, so I must be good and you have to listen to what I say.  Either that or your system is still flawed.  No doubt the situation is the later.

I do not ask people to vouch for me and I do not vouch for people.  I refuse to participate in it.

Krazula

I think repbot is a very good tool, because of repbot I've not been dropped in almost 2 years. I use the repbot list command for every player that I'm considering playing unless I already know them. Repbot isn't perfect and some people do abuse it, but with the list command I can see who complained about a player and if that complainer is one of the people that abuses the system I can ignore that complaint. All tools can be abused, a person can take a hammer and hit someone over the head with it, but that doesn't mean I hate hammers and refuse to interact with carpenters because they use a tool that can be abused. Since I am polite to my opponents and don't start matches that I won't be able to finish I've only had one player complain about me. I have very high standards for which opponents I'm willing to play, generally they can't have more than 5 complainers unless they have very high experience, I don't play very new players with very low experience, and I don't play with most phone users. If several people have complained about a player it doesn't neccesarily mean they're a bad person to play with or a dropper, but its more likely that they are so I choose not to take a chance playing them. If you choose not to participate in the repbot system that is okay, but I'm sure my system of avoiding droppers is more effective than your system of avoiding repbot users. Also I do think it is your fault if you leave a match because your wife called you to dinner, you shouldn't start a match if dinner is almost ready, and I think it is reasonable for a person to file a complaint about you for leaving. If you did that to me I'd probably file a complaint and leave you a message saying that I'll be happy to remove the complaint after we finish our match, after that withdraw the complaint but  I'd color your name red so I remember not to play with you again. I won't even start a match if I'm expecting a delivery or important call because I don't want to delay the match incase the delivery or call comes during the match, I do make exception to this though and I'll sometimes play when expecting a delivery but before I begin the match I always tell my opponent about the possibility of a short delay and ask them if it'll be okay.

diane

Quote from: Krazula on July 11, 2011, 07:04:37 AM

All tools can be abused, a person can take a hammer and hit someone over the head with it, but that doesn't mean I hate hammers and refuse to interact with carpenters because they use a tool that can be abused.

but I'm sure my system of avoiding droppers is more effective than your system of avoiding repbot users.

Also I do think it is your fault if you leave a match because your wife called you to dinner, you shouldn't start a match if dinner is almost ready, and I think it is reasonable for a person to file a complaint about you for leaving.

I'll sometimes play when expecting a delivery but before I begin the match I always tell my opponent about the possibility of a short delay and ask them if it'll be okay.

Excellent points - reinforcing why you are one of the nicest fibsters out there  :cool:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

adrian

An obsolete reply:

Dear frustrated colleagues (yes, this reply is for those fibsters -former or actual- who cannot accept to lose a few ratings points, even if it is their fault), try harder sometimes and resign a match, no matter if you, the idiot, are winning or losing, if you know that you have to leave your peer, and you haven't issued a warning  before the match has started.
Exercise it , you will find out that ratings on a free server is not a matter of life and death.

Enjoy the life. Don`t hate it.

Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

socksey

Quote from: connell on July 11, 2011, 12:17:33 AM
I am not angry about repbot because it is not or was not perfect.  I am angry because you offerred no freaking help and I suffered abuse. 

You must not have been listening.  Much help was offered.  You just refuse to accept.  Sorry if we were unable to reach you.

socksey

"In our age there is no such thing as 'keeping out of politics.' All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia." - George Orwell

connell

you give me support - really.  The only solution to my problem was to abandon the old account and start a new one.  Now I have a good reputation on the new one.  You guys never suggested that.

I have done nothing different from the old account and the new one.  Not one thing!  But the old one had me down as bad reputation and the new one has a good reputation.

So as the lawyers like to say, which reputation quoted by repbot was the lie? 

I see that whenever anyone complains about rebot, you take the similar tack.  Say that its just a tool and they must have done something wrong and bla bla bla. 

Repbot is all a waste of time and energy.  In my opinion you cause as much abuse as you save and you waste as much time as you save.  You are so stuck up you don't realize it.

connell

I make this suggestion to good guys, droppers, cheaters, and abusers alike.

If repbot says you have a bad reputation, abandon the old account and start a new one.  This guys will not help you.  You will continue to suffer abuse.

In fact, my greatest hope is that the droppers and cheaters will adopt this tack.  Then repbot will be completely useless.  That is my greatest hope.

Also, file complaints against anyone who makes positive statements about repbot.  They do not  follow the FIBS FAQ.  file vouches for cheaters - complaints against good guys.  Make it completely useless.  It already is!!!!

Join me in my cause.

Krazula

So you are upset that a tool isn't perfect, and your solution is to try to make it completely useless. I just re-read the FIBS faq at http://www.fibs.com/help.html and it says very little about repbot and nothing about any rules prohibiting players from complaining for any reason or making positive comments about repbot. Your advice of making a new account to avoid bad reps is agains the fibs rule and the MOTD that says
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                                                                                 |
|  FIBS news/announcements at http://twitter.com/fibsdotcom    |
|                                                                                                 |
|  The rule on FIBS is one account per person.  It is NOT OK          |
|  to create a new account because you've hit the ten-saved        |
|  limit on your existing account.                                                   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
I think its crazy that you're upset that people abuse the repbot tool and your solution is to disobey a fibs rule and make more accounts and to abuse repbot as much as possible by vouching for droppers and complaining on the good players.