News:

we welcome new Sponsors..keep the board going.....advertise your thing for a modest donation contact the webmaster@fibsboard.com

Main Menu

Dortok is a pathetic Dropper

Started by Jez_UK, June 13, 2011, 10:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jez_UK

He has a good rating (how I choose my opponents) but he simply doesn't want to lose.

I am a phone player and NOT a Dropped, so I have no way of knowing if the potential opponent is a phone player or not.

diane

Quote-> whois Dortok
Information about dortok:
  Last login:  Tuesday, June 14 13:04 EST from PhoneUser.MayBeFlaky.net
  Last logout: Tuesday, June 14 13:05 EST
  Not logged in right now.
  Rating: 1753.06 Experience: 3516
  No email address

-> show savedfor dortok
  opponent          matchlength   score (user's points first)
  Jez_UK                  1                0 -  0
  SantiagoCL              5                0 -  3
  ekogammon               3                2 -  0
  Jubiedooooo             3                1 -  2
  censeo                  3                0 -  2
  NoTAvAiLaBLE            3                0 -  0
  Gary                    3                1 -  2
  tavlacik                3                0 -  0
  MILA                    3                2 -  2
  barbados                3                0 -  2

QuoteRepBotNG says: dortok's reputation is -38619(BAD)

He has now reached 10 saved games, which means he wont be able to play any more games.

The scores there suggest he equally drops when winning and losing, and that it is a connection issue associated with Odesys, rather than him trying to ramp up a rating.

Knowing that on Odesys, you cant check repbot, or any of those parameters above I have listed for you, rating is also not a good way to pick players.  Experience would be best - a lot of experience tends to suggest they are finishing games and committed to doing so.  This is the reality of choosing the Odesys client as a means of logging into fibs, you would actually be better playing the offline computer.  This is also why computer users dont like them en masse, and they are regarded as a detriment to FIBs by many.

You choose to come in with Odesys, you state you wont use your computer for such trivia as online bg [leastways, I think that was you ;) ]...there is no solution at this time, with this release of Odesys, for you. Hopefully in time it will come.

However, having said all that, you can be pretty sure he will be looking to resume these games as he can no longer start new ones, so he may well come and find you.

Good luck.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Jez_UK

Hi Diane,

No sorry, I disagree with you.

My 1match game with him was resumed by me as soon as I saw his name in 'blue'.  Remember, I am human so I can't remember the state of my unfinished matches (age is getting the better of my memory !).

Anyway, as soon as we resumed (I think he must have forgot too), it was clearly evident that I was going to win as I was picking up and he had 1 piece to put down from the bar (sorry, don't know the actual names).  I straight away (luckily) rolled a double 5 and his roll was a 5 or a 6 which meant for sure he was going to lose.

At that point he disconnected.

We're not silly - his scores mean nothing (look at his score with SantiagoCL).

Regarding using my computer for BG - I like to think I didn't quite word it like that !

My situation is that I play BG when relaxing (say, in Bed or in the, erm, Bathroom....) and my Internet connection at home is very unreliable (it disconnects often).   That's why I choose to use the 3G system of my phone.  When I'm in a reliable WiFi area, I switch to that (but again on my phone).  However, you've got me thinking.... with my smartphone could I play online via fibs website or must BG software always be installed ??

Kind regards,

Jez

Jez_UK

P.S.  Diane, please could you be so kind as to do a printout for me as well - I think I have around 5 unfinished matches and I'd like to see who they are with as well.

Thank you.

Jez

socksey

Quote from: Jez_UK on June 14, 2011, 09:00:49 AM
with my smartphone could I play online via fibs website or must BG software always be installed ??

You can log on through http://parlorplay.com/

-> show saved Jez_UK
no saved games.

socksey

"I may be as bad as the worst, but, thank God, I am as good as the best." - Walt Whitman

Jez_UK

Hi Socksey,

I'll take a look at playing via parlorplay.

In the meantime, I'm confused how you claim I have no saved games.  Surely I'd have at least 1 (i.e. that of Dortok's) ??  But I know there are others because very recently another player dropped on me when losing badly.

diane

opponent          matchlength   score (user's points first)
  dortok                  1                0 -  0
  Anhinga                 7                4 -  0

Anhinga will resume with you.

Yes, it does appear he really is a dropper..the point I was trying to make was that it really takes all three pieces of information to make that call correctly. With the phone only, you cannot do that - and need to accept that. It is a limitation of the interface YOU choose to use.

You can try parlorplay, but as that interface is hard enough on a computer, I wouldn't hold out much hope it will be any good at all on a phone.

Really, I cannot say it often enough, the computer is the best way in - even if you only use it sometimes, to get to know who are good players so on the phone, you only play them.
Never give up on the things that make you smile