News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

Calendar

Started by burper, June 08, 2004, 02:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

We have gotten to the point, largley because of Tomawaky's expanding team and the ease of running a bracket tourney with TB, that there is a lot of tournament activity to keep track of!

Add to this the confusion over worldwide time. Fibs time as a standard has been suggested, but it is often so screwed up that that also leads to confusion. "fibsboard official time", or a "fibsboard master clock" might be the same as GMT, but it gives everyone the same clock to point to.

Being as I am an idea man, and not much on finishing projects, let me make a suggestion for someone else to implement: how about a fibsboard page that shows both some sort of fibs official time, and a calendar showing the regular tournaments that happen. There actually is a calendar page/function already on fibsboard, it's just that noone uses it: http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php?act=calendar

Maybe rather than monthly, it would probably be better to show last week, this week, and the next 4 weeks. But starting with existing stuff is better than nothing.  Let's highlight the calendar more, maybe putting it in the main menu on the left, announcing it etc... and making it the standard, linking to it from the fibsleagammon site in appropriate places... Add the master clock. Today's page, if it existed, would show, with appropriate links:

-mini-matches on Saturday, (15:00 UTC would be changed to whatever fibsboard official time that is)

-fridays3, Friday (14:00 UTC changed to 14:00 UTC ACCORDING TO THE MASTER CLOCK [link])

-the Sunday and Tuesday sessions of BagOlympic. The calendar would do the "Sunday after the second Tuesday" calculation properly. These sessions perhaps can have tags of some kind, month and number? These are stated to occur at 8:00pm GMT (which I have been told is actually different than UTC, and a common misperception? or is that an urban legand. Just enough confusion here for a master clock I think)

-an indication of what league session we are in, and when it ends. maybe a colored line with end points or something?

-team league session

-swiss "session", or round

-postcard tourney round

-fibs pics tourney

-if someone was going to run an FLGT, masters, burper's bubble or something like that, it could be on the calendar.

-Davide's Spring tourney

Whew! That's a lot of stuff. Did I miss anything? I can only imagine there will be more. Is there any other sort of calendar info that can be shown, beyond tourneys? Does Shuggie's sister have an upcoming events scheduled? ;) But seriously, fibs gatherings can go here to. That Fibsie award silliness? :)

Back to your regularly scheduled backgammon...

diane

Was just thinking - tourneybot knows the right time somehow - when you set up a tourney - it gives the correct time in UTC for the set up - how does it know - and can we use that in any way?

Erm perhaps this should have gone in the discussion about timing of tourneys - but it occurred to me while reading this one - so can you all kind of imagine it is there as well  :rolleyes:  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Tomawaky

Good discussion to open burper

I think that the better thing to do is to use the Fibsboard's calendar.
But If we want it more popular, it might be appear on the Home Page.

WebRunner can you do something for us and reserve a place to show the events on the 2 or 3 next days ?

It would also be necessary to agree on an official clock. I think that http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com is the better place. And it would be also very usefull if this Time can be somewhere in the homepage too.  :D

A place to indicate current tourney is also a great idea...
I can do that on my site, but it is certainly more usefull if it is more general to Fibs and in this case on the Fibsboard.

I think that we have to make some decision, add little improvements and start to use the Fibsboard calendar more often and we'll all make a big improvement for the tourneys to come.

It's up to us.

Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

webrunner

Finally someone is noticing the Calendar :)

On the forums page ( http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php ) it shows the upcoming events of the next x days (now 7 but thst can be changed) on the bottom of the page (near the brithdays. Because there aren't any events they aren't shown. Just put them in there and they will appear on the most visitied page of fibsboard.

I will have a look if i can implement some clock after my holliday.

Please fill in events, they can even be repeated events!
(friday tourney's for example).

I will look for more wayt to view and show the calendar soon, if it is used. not in advance :)

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Tomawaky

Never seen that on the index page  :unsure:
I think that the Home page it's a better place. But let's try with it  :P  
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

burper

QuoteFinally someone is noticing the Calendar :)

On the forums page ( http://www.fibsboard.com/index.php ) it shows the upcoming events of the next x days (now 7 but thst can be changed) on the bottom of the page (near the brithdays. Because there aren't any events they aren't shown. Just put them in there and they will appear on the most visitied page of fibsboard.

I will have a look if i can implement some clock after my holliday.

Please fill in events, they can even be repeated events!
(friday tourney's for example).

I will look for more wayt to view and show the calendar soon, if it is used. not in advance :)
Wow, beautiful! Let's populate it with the tourneys and see how it looks. 7 days is probably fine.

burper

QuoteWas just thinking - tourneybot knows the right time somehow - when you set up a tourney - it gives the correct time in UTC for the set up - how does it know - and can we use that in any way?

Erm perhaps this should have gone in the discussion about timing of tourneys - but it occurred to me while reading this one - so can you all kind of imagine it is there as well  :rolleyes:
Good idea diane. TB "knows", because it is converting the time from whatever machine it is running on.

As it turns out, the machine it is running on, I think, is the same machine that fibsboard.com is on. If so, whatever master clock page that webbie comes up with for fibsboard, can have the same exact time (network lag notwithstanding) as TB. Very convenient!

burper

It would also be necessary to agree on an official clock. I think that http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com is the better place.
I disagree. We have no control over greenwichmeantime.com, and at least some influence over fibsboard.com ;)

Tomawaky

I am not sur that what we want is control over time !
I just think that it could be the most understandable time for everyone all over the world.

diane

The point being - if we have the right time on here - which we (well those with the power) can ensure is correct - then this is the easiest place for all to look and use.  And i dont know how much hassle it would be - but could a converter be employed somehow - so if the TD planning the tourney enters the time in UTC either directly in the calendar - or on some add on - the other major times are calculated and listed?  But have a nice holiday first webrunner  :D  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Tomawaky

I have added GMT/UTC time on the Bagolympic page

I think this one can be used as our official clock. Don't you think ?

burper

[dohtml]

<p>Tomawaky: having an official clock for bagolympic is the right thing to do. I think you need to call out a little 'louder' that it is THE OFFICIAL TIME. I also think that you could/should use it as an overall fibsleagammon official time for all time-based tourney events. Taken even further, perhaps fibsboard/tourneybot can use it. I'm all for community integration :)

<p>I filled in some calendar information for June and July. I hope the owners of the information don't mind, I just got curious about what the calendar would look like if more fully used.

<p>Notes:
<ul>

<li>the single day event does not render as prettily as a range event. Trying to cheat doesn't work either, I tried. ;)

<li>the recurring scheduler can't handle 'first tuesday' style events, so bagolympic events will need to be entered in one at a time strictly speaking, although since every tuesday happens to be filled, we can cheat slightly on that. I'll start that generic tuesday session thing in July, and se can change it later if need be.

<li>Range events don't show up in the calendar display that appears on the bottom of the forum page. Would this be nice?

<li>Calendar display is at the bottom of the forum page. Might it be better at the top, or even on the home page?

<li>Under the heading of community integration, perhaps fibsleagammon use a link to the fibsboard calendar in appropriate places, i.e. whereever dates are mentioned.

</ul>

<p>So now we have an official clock and an official calendar, let;s use them!
[/dohtml]

adrian

I certainly hope that people that subscribed to certain events/tourneys will notice that they haven`t played even a single match..!  
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

EddieVedd

Had a thought for calender/scheduling , already posted HERE  . didn't want to duplicate but thought it could be included on this thread. Please, what do you think ?

Cheers,

Eddie.
[size=8]"..father he enjoyed collisions...others walked away...[/size]...."