News:

Add your picture URL in your profile.

Main Menu

Krazgammon

Started by Krazula, June 20, 2011, 12:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krazula

I've been playing a new variation of backgammon it is played the same way as regular backgammon and can be played on FIBS, the only difference is that you choose your opponents first 3 moves and your opponent chooses your first 3 moves of each game in the match. You kibitz the plays that you want your opponent to play to each other, it is important that both players understand standard backgammon notation so they can clearly say how they want their opponent to play. The idea is to do as much damage to your opponents position in the first 3 rolls, this usually means leaving many blots in their homeboard and/or stacking them up really high onto one point. It is often right to force your opponent to hit you because on your next roll your opponent will have fewer choices for how you must move. You may still cube during the first 3 rolls if you choose to. This game is very complex both in the initial stage where you choose moves for each other and in the latter stage when you play your own rolls.

I believe that this game results in more gammons than traditional backgammon and that it changes the match equity for most scores, making it so that the trailer has a higher mwc than in the regular game, but this isn't confirmed yet because I don't have a large enough sample of games played to do any meaningful analysis with.

Most people that I've tried this game with enjoy it and appreciate the increased difficulty and novelty of this variation. If you want to try this game with me please tell or message me on FIBS. If enough people show interest in this game I might make a tourney for it.

diane

It certainly inspires some different thoughts when making moves and addles the brain a bit  ;) That of course means it is fun  :cool:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

I tried it and love it and you can count me in on any tourneys you want to start, Kraz!  :cool:

socksey

"Don't tell us how to dress. Tell men not to rape" - SlutWalking Protest

garp_02

Sounds like a laugh.....although I can't see my opponent making any worse moves for me than I would normally make myself. Might even adopt that for all matches :)

kerosene

i'm gonna give it a go with my crazy french friend. He taught me a more crazy one called Matador. I forget it now but will be seeing him over the summer... quite possibly it's where you have all your pieces in your home to begin with - the crazy bit is that near the end of the game the favourite to win often and quite inexplicably changes - causing audible yelps of surprise. BTW, is there a name for the version where you can't have more than 5 pips on a point? we played that too.

boop