News:

controversial "other online games" Board introduced --GO, Poker, Scrabble and gosh even Chess.....let me know :)

Main Menu

Game 4, move 30: Herd 2-1

Started by diane, July 26, 2011, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Position ID: 7/YAAGDbtgEAAA
Match ID: UQmlABAAGAAA

Stog is obviously going nowhere, after the 4-2, herd rolled 1-1 and moved 4/off.

This 2-1 now could affect how the rest of the bear off goes, so choose wisely!
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Krazula

Spoiler
It was an error to play 4/0 with the 11 last roll. 6/5(2) 4/3 2/1 looks better to me, so does 6/5(2) 4/2. There is almost no way that stog is going to win a race here and he have no need for gammon so clearing the 6 would have been a good idea, it would also put 4 checkers on our 5 and 2 on our 4 which is a very good way to sit to avoid leaving a shot in the next 2 rolls. Playing 4/0 made it so there are no rolls that could leave a shot this turn, but next turn there are some, now if we roll a 65 next roll we'll be forced to leave a shot, so there is 22/1296 chance that we'll be on the bar on our next roll instead of a 0 chance if we had cleared the 5 last time. But since we're in the position we're in now the best play is 6/5 6/4.
[close]

diane

Quote from: Krazula on July 27, 2011, 03:58:03 AMIt was an error to play 4/0 with the 11 last roll.

I do check with gnu before doing that, it listed 4/o as the top move, but with nothing at all separating the next 2 or 3 moves. Given no one was commenting much here, even though I was trying to get some chat going about the best ways to play careful bear offs like these, I thought I would skip another 6-0 vote.

Interesting though - maybe the roll out [as opposed to 2ply analysis] will help us all understand more.  Thanks for the comments  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Krazula

Roll out puts my play on top, only by about .18% though, so its a bit closer that I thought.

stog

ah_clem

Spoiler

I would have also looked carefully at clearing the 6 last turn instead of taking a single checker off.  But what's done is done, and I don't think it makes a lot of difference.

As to the current decision, which is worse: being odd-ended, or leaving a gap?  My take is that since 6/5 6/4 gives us three checkers on the five and four points, it's not really odd-ended.  Only 6-5 forces us to leave a shot.

By contrast, something like 2/off 2/1 has just as many shot forcing rolls (only 6-4), but the gap gives us some awkward rolls immediately (eg 4-2 ) and shot forcing rolls for the forseeable future.  Plus, it gives him a place to anchor.

6/5 6/4

[close]