News:

click the random photo on the front page to go directly to the forum

Main Menu

How does the server know the name of your client?

Started by stewartmjohnson, August 14, 2011, 01:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewartmjohnson

Howdy all -

I'm using Fibzilla, and when I look at the list of players there is a column called "Client" which has the name of the software the player is using to connect.

When I look at the list of commands, there's nothing there that lets me tell the server the name of my client.

Where are these client names coming from?

Thanks,
Stewart

maria

Quote from: stewartmjohnson on August 14, 2011, 01:23:47 PM
Howdy all -

I'm using Fibzilla, and when I look at the list of players there is a column called "Client" which has the name of the software the player is using to connect.

When I look at the list of commands, there's nothing there that lets me tell the server the name of my client.

Where are these client names coming from?

Thanks,
Stewart

The same way it knows your username, rating, experience, and IP address? 

MAGIC!!!

:)

Patti

Look on fibs.com for the CLIP protocol documentation and you will find the answer that you seek.

paulie

Quote from: Patti on August 15, 2011, 05:18:19 AM
Look on fibs.com for the CLIP protocol documentation and you will find the answer that you seek.

Well, I've read through the info on fibs.com.  I don't see a fibs command which either tells fibs what client I'm using or returns that info from fibs, given that it knows it. So perhaps you can just tell us the answer?

Does the "help hostnames" have a bug?  I've tried this command twice from JavaFibs and it appears to hang the client.  I have to logoff and login again.  I'm still trying to find out the answer!
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

paulie

Quote from: paulie on May 14, 2014, 01:21:54 AM
Well, I've read through the info on fibs.com.  I don't see a fibs command which either tells fibs what client I'm using or returns that info from fibs, given that it knows it. So perhaps you can just tell us the answer?

Does the "help hostnames" have a bug?  I've tried this command twice from JavaFibs and it appears to hang the client.  I have to logoff and login again.  I'm still trying to find out the answer!

Thanks, Patti.  Per our conversation of Fibs, I have the documentation now!
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde