News:

hover/mouseover topics on the forum/board index, now gives you the preview of the first post within a topic

Main Menu

GNU analysis option

Started by beegee, August 18, 2011, 04:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beegee

Hello this is my first post.

Is it possible to open a game or match in GNU that you played on say FIBS, then REPLAY the game with the tutor mode on?  So that your opponent would make whatever moves he made, then when the action got to you you make your play, if its bad tutor tells you.  Then the original move would stay and you would keep "playing" until the next error?

I find it hard to learn with the analysis the way it is, mostly because I'm not going to remember that exact position, especially when going over so many errors.  The other thing is that I often don't understand the theory as to why one move is better, and so if a similar but not exact situation comes up again in the future, I'll most likey make the same mistake.  If I could actively replay a game I feel it would be more beneficial.

????

Thanks

dorbel

Yes. Import your match into Gnu, then save it as a snowie text file, which just gives the rolls and the plays. Now configure Gnu to play a match of the same length, human v. human, manual dice, tutor mode on. Copy from the text file into Gnu move by move.
Computer analysis works well for careless errors, much less well for mistakes made through conceptual or technical deficiencies. For this, you do need a human expert to explain the whys.
Try http://dorbeldaily.blogspot.com/ , for loads of articles that try to explain why one play is better than another with a minimum of bewildering numerical data.
Working at your game can only improve your enjoyment in the long term, partly because you win more, partly because the game gets more interesting! Beware though, in the very short term, you sometimes go backwards. Try to think of this as remodelling a golf swing or bowling delivery. In the end, it will work.

captainmubbers

Thanks for that Dorbel. Now I'm on a decent client which doesn't lose comms every 15 minutes (with resultant lack of saved data) I will investigate this. Is there a step-by-step guide to this activity anywhere on the FibsBoard or other site?
Riding on a high and windy day