News:

thx MAffi Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, captainmubbers, aviator, Anonymous, Tom, roygbiv  yyy , Michael  r_monk Jade & Linus  our latest VIP donors/subscribers..cheers! they get to see special links & articles and gain much kudos.:) join them at http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

new category and board on fibsboard

Started by stog, September 08, 2011, 09:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

hi i have added a new category on fibsboard for the tigergammon server with this board in it for feedback and discussion
regards

diane

Could a similar one be set up for melbg server too?

server.melbg.net, also port 4321

This one is further along and considerably more functional at this point than tigergammon.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

Whose site is melbg?  I think I noticed that server in my fibzilla login place?  I haven't actually been there yet, tho. 

The tigergammon site is coming along.  We have more and more members every day.  Still more work required.  ;)

socksey

"Better to have a big goal and reach half of it than to have no goal and reach all of it." - unknown

stog

ok have done -- changed category to Other Fibslike free Backgammon Servers for 'fibs like free servers', whose model i presume they are using? and have included 2 new forum boards; one for the melbg and the other for Tiggergammon. let me know if there are any others to add.

cheers

ps for info on these new servers go to http://tigergammon.dyndns-home.com/gb-tigergammon.html

and http://www.melbg.net/server.htm respectively

socksey

For the moment, tigergammon seems to be regressing rather than progressing.   :cry:

The bots can only be played in 1 ptrs and at that, they kick you off the server several times requiring you to reconnect several times during a 1 pt match.   :(

No progress seems to have been made in several weeks.  Almost none of the players who started out there are still participating.  When there is no participation, there is a dead site and no reason to go there.

I hope andreas can inform us of any progress here, so that we may know what is happening there.   :yes:

Sadly, at the beginning of our drive, there was much opposition and a few who were trying to sabotage the effort.  I would hope that element are happy now and will leave it alone.  I can't imagine why it would make any difference to those people whether the site succeeds of fails, but who know what lurks in some minds?   :ohmy:

socksey

I set my sights high and with determination.  If you believe in yourself, you need only reinforce all your dreams. - Les Paul

moonshadow

On tigergammon I was 20 pips ahead in a race for the win in a 5 point match when the damn bot refused to move when I had one pip left.  Actually, it waited until I had only one pip left then stopped moving. It would resume, but not move. That's the only match I tried to play there.

It seems to have a number of bugs, but as the "shout" function seems to work quite well it will probably have a certain appeal to some.

Quote from: socksey on December 02, 2011, 01:58:54 PM
Sadly, at the beginning of our drive, there was much opposition and a few who were trying to sabotage the effort.  I would hope that element are happy now and will leave it alone.  I can't imagine why it would make any difference to those people whether the site succeeds of fails, but who know what lurks in some minds?   :ohmy:

What is "our drive" and what is it? This really needs some clarification.

Unless socksey can produce some evidence of this supposed opposition I suggest it might be all balderdash.

What's funny about this is that socksey says people were trying to "sabotage" the effort. Why would anyone want to sabotage tigergammon when tigergammon doesn't seem to need any help in sabotaging itself?

diane

It was the 'opposition' part I didn't get, as far as I could tell, most were really hoping they would go for good...

Sadly, where there is a community, and internet, someone will try sabotage - FIBs has seen plenty across the years. Often by those who call themselves regulars, and usually when they feel a decision didn't go their way..

socksey

There were some saboteurs at the beginning.  Do you really think I would lie about this, moonshadow, and for what possible purpose?   :blink: 

I don't intend to bash anyone here on fibsboard.  I was speaking in generalities and I don't feel the need to prove anything with "evidence" for your enjoyment.  Had you been there, you would have seen the evidence.  :dry:

Yes, you're right about tigergammon sabotaging itself, but that wasn't so evident in the beginning, hence sabateurs emerge. I am still hopeful the bugs will be ironed out eventually. 

We were hoping for an uncensored backgammon site where people can say what they want without having to fear being banned forever from shouts which I know you and many others are opposed to.  But, of course you knew that.  You just like to yank my chain a bit, eh, moonshadow?   :laugh:

socksey

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." ~ Proverb

moonshadow

Quote from: socksey on December 03, 2011, 07:23:49 PM
There were some saboteurs at the beginning.
Do you really think I would lie about this, moonshadow, and for what possible purpose?   :blink:  

I recall occasions when you have been "mistaken" and perhaps this was another instance of something innocent that you took to be "sabotage." You are not the server admin and you apparently don't have any connection with him, so how are you even qualified to say "this is sabotage" when you are not privy to what is going on from the admin side of things?

I would take your claim that there was "sabotage" more seriously if you give an example of what this sabotage was instead of refusing to do that, or even if you had said the tigergammon admin had stated attacks had been made on his program/server.

I have no idea if you are lying or not, but often when a politician or government official loudly challenges you with "Do you really think I would lie about this?!" that is in fact what they are doing.

Several months ago I happened to see your FIBshouts while playing a match. You were shouting a list of some fibsters that supposedly "hated" you. "Username A hates me. Username B hates me," then, shockingly for me, "moonshadow hates me".

I was stunned. Shocked. I seldom shout so why were you even dragging poor username moonshadow into your list of "these people hate me". I don't "hate" you (but neither do I "love" you) and there was no rational reason for you to shout that unless you were looking for sympathy from other shouters about how all these people supposedly "hate" you and how badly they have treated you.

Perhaps I should have screamed in shouts at the time, "SOCKSEY IS A LIAR" (and added some profane vulgarities for emphasis--after all you want "uncensored" shouts don't you?) but at the time I actually thought it was quite amusing.

So yes, if you were mistaken about me "hating" you then you are very likely to be mistaken about tigergammon being "sabotaged."

I don't intend to bash anyone here on fibsboard. I was speaking in generalities and I don't feel the need to prove anything with "evidence" for your enjoyment.  Had you been there, you would have seen the evidence.  :dry:

Yes, I actually do get a great deal of enjoyment from your posts, as I do pck's and others. (stog needs to spice his up a bit though.)

Yes, you're right about tigergammon sabotaging itself, but that wasn't so evident in the beginning, hence sabateurs emerge. I am still hopeful the bugs will be ironed out eventually.

I noticed "bugs" in the beginning, but no saboteurs.

We were hoping for an uncensored backgammon site where people can say what they want without having to fear being banned forever from shouts which I know you and many others are opposed to.

You want an "uncensored" backgammon site yet as a fibsboard moderator you censor and eliminate posts on fibs board! Please explain!

I think only a handful of fibsters out of thousands have been permanently shout banned. And Patti gave thousands of chances and explanations to those that were banned so there's really no excuse. Persian Lord is the only banned fibster to state--here on fibs board--that he deserved what he got and that Patti was justified in what she did. I greatly admired that.

People don't "fear" being permanently being shout banned on FIBS. That's nonsense and you know it.

You and the others who want an uncensored backgammon site don't really want a site to socialize and play backgammon, you want a site where shout abusers have an audience that includes unwilling participants.

Without an audience, most shout abuse would stop.

You will not find two shout abusers in a locked room trying to insult and humiliate each other. Why? Its no fun for them because they want spectators, they want a snake pit, and if no one is watching, they are not going to be shouting.

You just like to yank my chain a bit, eh, moonshadow?   :laugh:

socksey

Well I really would like to know the nature of the "sabotage" and surely you can disclose the nature of it without naming names.

And yes, you always leave such a long chain hanging out there I can't resist pulling.

I just hope nothing gets unravelled in the process.

socksey

My information comes straight from the horses mouth.  Like I said, had you been there, you would know, too.  Andreas spoke of it in shouts on tigergammon site.  I choose not to mention details here.   ;)

socksey

"The capacity for delight is the gift of paying attention." - Julia Margaret Cameron

socksey

I'm speechless.  You may quote me on this.

socksey

"Growth is a spiral process, doubling back on itself, reassessing and regrouping." - Julia Margaret Cameron

dorbel

As the main reason for Tigergammon appeared to be to provide a home for the Fibsters denied shout access on Fibs and their sympathisers, why don't they open both sites, shout on tigergammon and play on fibs?
The answer is probably that the type of shouts for which they received their bans has no point if the intended victims can't see them.

vegasvic

Main reason for Tigergammon  IS and WAS and WILL be Andreas wanting a backgammon site !

As to how he RUNS Tigergammon is up to him ALONE!

Do you all  really think he likes me to be able to shout so badly, that he puts in Hundreds of man hours to program a backgammon site?

NOW THAT IS A LAUGHER

Look folks you got your playground (FIBS) with your school mom looking out for you when the bullies poke a finger in your face after you stick your tongue out at them.

Get a life move on no one is begging for you to come and play on Tigergammon... i am sure it will catch on after people see its a fun place to play .

sorrytigger

Quote from: dorbel on December 06, 2011, 11:00:43 AM
As the main reason for Tigergammon appeared to be to provide a home for the Fibsters denied shout access on Fibs and their sympathisers, why don't they open both sites, shout on tigergammon and play on fibs?
The answer is probably that the type of shouts for which they received their bans has no point if the intended victims can't see them.

When I read this here I realize, that you very obviously don't know of the concept of 'gag' and 'blind'. And not only you but very obviously also the 'victims'. And now my vision blurs and I can't distinguish victims and culprits any more.

Seriously - I have been attending to a 'shout war' at tigergammon and now I am pretty sure that anyone shouldn't be quick with labelling 'victims' and 'culprits'. If people use 'blind' and 'gag' with prudence things will stay an acceptable level. If they don't they simply want to fuel the whole thing.

garp_02

TG can keep the people who seem to be congregating around it.

I feel sorry for Andreas, who has set up an alternative site but has attracted the (let's say) less welcome members.

diane

Quote from: sorrytigger on December 21, 2012, 06:41:35 PMSeriously - I have been attending to a 'shout war' at tigergammon and now I am pretty sure that anyone shouldn't be quick with labelling 'victims' and 'culprits'.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant help but have a small, quiet wonder to myself who was in it..and no - there are no cuplrits and victims...I shall wait to see how you feel after 20 years of that,...when all your hard work is trivialised to the point people merely use it to call other people names.

You might find you have to introduce some global shout bans, and impose other such restrictions on freedom of speech.

Tigergammon did not so much attract the less savoury fibsters, who love a good bullying session and some ripe old English banter...as it was made for them - to allow them the freedoms they lost. And yes, Andreas may have built it because he wanted it...but he was encouraged by the fact he knew it would be used - and who by.

Absolutely every one who has been on the wrong end of folks in this thread do know gag and blind..and that it is futile - as long as there is some audience, it will go on and on and on and on and on....clearly you know about gag and blind - but not what it actually does.

I shall once again wish you good luck with your site - and hope your hard work pays off...

vegasvic

Can i ask why you two really care ?

Is tigergammon some sort of threat to your roost on fibs ?

Like we said you are most welcome to join us in some good old fashioned banter my dear .

But be fair warned there is no mother hen on Tigergammon .

Nor anyone handing out yellow and red flags.

Happy holidays and best wishes to you and yours .

KissMyAss

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

diane

Looks like we found one of the participants..I wonder if any others will wander by and make themselves known.. :laugh: :laugh:

vegasvic

Oh yes dear ,

It is moi :)

Now do not tell my you did not know this ?

I am the only Tigergammon player that has lost his or her shouts .