News:

please ensure your email address is "up to date" in your fibsboard profile or personal messages won't get through -- thx
ps  you can set your email as non public

Main Menu

Want to find an Android backgammon game that doesn't cheat...?

Started by tbessie, October 04, 2011, 06:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reps

Onlinebackgammonmoney

I got my hands on an Android device.

Last week I think I read on BGOnline that eXtremeGammon is developed for iOS. It was going to be limited to some point but still that would be the core engine that runs on the desktop. I think this means that we could very well see one for Android as Android based devices have more hardware processing power which is better for such a program.
Backgammon bonuses, reviews and news at http://www.onlinebackgammon.org.uk

socksey

Quote from: moonshadow on October 10, 2011, 03:47:33 PM
If Tom's passionate admirer thinks these gammonbots are rigged to cheat, he should play one of those buggy tigergammon bots.

Give the tigergammon bots another try!  They have greatly improved.   :yes:

socksey

Variation Law - If you change lines (or traffic lanes), the one you were in will always move faster than the one you are in now (works every time).

Tom

Quote from: socksey on May 30, 2012, 02:56:02 PM
Give the tigergammon bots another try!  They have greatly improved.   :yes:

socksey

I am also very sure that the TG bots "cheat" just as much as mine!

Dice are still Dice!

Tom

jordansim28

Hi I was thinking if you guys were allowed in the game of using scrabble dictionary than how many of you will use it to win the game.  As I consider this taking little help to vast our experience with words. Which strategy you guys use.
scrabble cheat board

gugu

Backgammon NJ is the strongest Android app out there, It's a very strong Nueral net.  It has a tutor mode and reports your ER at end of match.  It's $7.99

Alcacoops's "Backgammon Mobile" is built off of Gnu Backgammon.  No Hints, tutor, or analysis, but it will connect to Fibs and Tigergammon.  It plays pretty strong, but not too great with the cube.  It's free and has very small adds.

And, NO, they don't cheat...they're just that good!

chriskay

I have precisely the same problem as the person who posted this – I found the post via a Google search.  Unfortunately due to the nature of FIBS (as far as I understand it) everyone immediately thinks he is talking about playing with another person.  He isn't!  He is talking about playing against a computer using an Android or in my case an Apple app. 
I have tried numerous backgammon apps and they are all the same. The dice throws the computer makes are biased towards it landing on your unprotected pieces.  Also doubles are miraculously thrown by the computer towards the end of the game turning your winning position in any normal game into a loss. I can only assume that by clearly linking the dice throws to aid the computer the developers can dispense with the time and cost of writing any strategy.  This issue is confirmed by lots of reviews of these apps too! 
This is past annoying and makes all these apps unplayable unless you are a masochist. Maybe someone knows an app which genuinely has a random unbiased dice so that play against the computer is fair? 
Yes I know play against someone on line might be superior but a lot of us like to play when we are off line especially as wireless access is so poor in lots of the UK as well as on trains and planes. 

josephmcg

@chriskay you'll find that all the other apps cheat just as much as the ones you've had trouble with, sorry!  :unsure: 

Here's an article that might help you understand the cause of the problem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

samanthany

You should get Backgammon - Real Players app for Android phones and tablets. Pleasant interface and hundreds of players all the time. It's the only app where you can play live backgammon tournaments. It's free. Hope you will enjoy  :)

triadgod

Quote from: Reps on January 18, 2012, 11:20:55 PM
Developers of Masters of Backgammon: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/masters-of-backgammon-free/id466854342?mt=8

They will develop one for Android as well, to play online against iPhone, iPad, Mac users.

Their web http://2kbgames.com
I've always loved playing Backgammon Masters on my iPhone. Good to know they've released on Android so that I can install it on my HTC. I've played it for over 2 years and I would say the dice rolls are fair. I use the paid version.