News:

(**folks need to register to be able to see Fibsboard Forum Match diagrams and vote.** )

Main Menu

GENERAL

Started by garp_02, December 29, 2011, 05:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garp_02

Can anyone tell me when the next round of matches will start if you have finished your 'league'?

ah_clem

If you're talking about FLG, the current session ends Dec 31st and the next bracket is usually posted within a day or so of the previous session ending.  I'd expect something by Sunday mid-day.

garp_02

No offence, but I assumed that since I posted this in the IIBGF Forum area, that people would realise that that was what I was referring to.

moonshadow

Quote from: garp_02 on December 29, 2011, 05:20:13 PM
Can anyone tell me when the next round of matches will start if you have finished your 'league'?

I think you mean "tournament," not league.

You may sign up for a tournament at any time on the website.  When there are enough participants, one is organized.  You may also simultaneously play in more than one tournament at a time.

garp_02

I'm pretty sure I meant 'league' moon - but since there is no significant difference in this context, I'll let you off with your pedanticalness (if that's even a word).

Anyway, I know all that, just curious as to when the next group of league-style tournaments (tournament-style leagues) would be kicking off.

;)

diane

Quote from: garp_02 on December 31, 2011, 03:00:30 PMI'm pretty sure I meant 'league' moon - but since there is no significant difference in this context

If it is IIBGF you are asking about -there is a significant difference. That site only runs tournaments - so, you play all the matches in the tournament [over 2 months]..someone wins and it is over.

There is no more.

You want to play again - you join the next tournament.

The next one will kick off when they have a full tournament bracket - so sign up your interest.

The link for that is here..

http://iibgf.weebly.com/iibgf-tournaments.html
Never give up on the things that make you smile

garp_02

Significant difference?  :unsure:

Go sit in Pedants Corner Diane  :)

If I had won my 'tournament', or section, as IIBGF calls it, I would gain automatic entry at the next level - sounds kind of like a league setup to me.

Anyway...........I have re-registered and wonder if all the other Promotion Higher 'tournaments', for example, have to finish before a new set are started.

Perhaps someone from IIBGF would be more qualified to reply :)

stog

Quote from: moonshadow on December 31, 2011, 12:29:52 AM

You may sign up for a tournament at any time on the website.  When there are enough participants, one is organized.  You may also simultaneously play in more than one tournament at a time.

garp_02

May I ask how many participants are currently registered for the tournaments for which I have registered  :sleep:

diane

Quote from: garp_02 on January 01, 2012, 07:51:36 PM
Perhaps someone from IIBGF would be more qualified to reply :)

Absolutely the case - but they dont visit here very often - only the initial promotions were done here. I would contact Zagloba [Zbyszko - same person], he will be able to tell you more and answer questions.

See post below by Moonshadow.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

moonshadow

In the spirit of the New Year and the accompanying warm fuzzy feelings that sometimes inexplicably ensue, I was going to let the gibe slide, but as garp is now abusing the word pedant and telling others to go join me in the pedants corner, I thought I would weigh back in.

Quote from: garp_02 on December 31, 2011, 03:00:30 PM
I'm pretty sure I meant 'league' moon - but since there is no significant difference in this context, I'll let you off with your pedanticalness (if that's even a word).

garp, I meant no offense by correcting you, but its amusing nonetheless to see that you are attempting to mildly insult me by accusing me of pedantry when in fact I would much rather be ridiculed as a pedant than as an obtuse ignoramus.

league
a group of sports clubs which play each other over a period for a championship: the leading goalscorer in the league (New Oxford English Dictionary)

tournament
(in a sport or game) a series of contests between a number of competitors, competing for an overall prize. (New Oxford English Dictionary)

Despite your difficulties in comprehension, the words "tournament" and "league" are different words with different meanings and in this context you can only mean tournament because that is not only the correct description in this instance, it is what the IIBF itself on its own webpages refers to them as.

Your continued insistence on incorrectly using the word league not only generates confusion because the IIBF does not call these leagues, but it also suggests that your lack of understanding is irremediable.

moonshadow

If I had won my 'tournament', or section, as IIBGF calls it, I would gain automatic entry at the next level - sounds kind of like a league setup to me.

If you came out at the top of your tournament I would think you would be bumped up to a stronger division.

Anyway...........I have re-registered and wonder if all the other Promotion Higher 'tournaments', for example, have to finish before a new set are started.

I don't know. I do know that one can play in several tournaments at the same time.

Quote from: diane on January 02, 2012, 01:47:26 PM
Absolutely the case - but they dont visit here very often - only the initial promotions were done here. I would contact Zagloba [Zbyszko - same person], he will be able to tell you more and answer questions.

Rick (Zagloba) is no longer working with or is involved with the IIBF and he had resigned his position there some time ago, which is unfortunate, because his contribution to the project will be sorely missed.

Please direct all inquires or questions you may have to Leonardo Jerkovic at iibackgammonfederation@gmail.com

Perhaps any responses that one gets from Jerkovic could be posted here as well.