News:

want some cool sounds while you browse the boards.... see the new collapsable web radio section on the LHS, below birthdays, on the Front page

Main Menu

Prevent account deletion ? - SUGGESTION !

Started by PlayHunter, January 23, 2012, 03:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayHunter

Hello people, this is my first post. I am long time registered but didn`t need to post since I had no real issues.

Recently I have observed (mainly due to my inactivity) that there was implemented a rule to delete accounts which are unused for about 6 months. I found me in this situation and I lost my account with an 1800+ backgammon rating which made me not too happy. Luckily,  :cool: nobody took my nickname and I could re-register it into the system again. However, now I have to work out my rating again if I want to be proud with it.  :mellow:

My SUGGESTION is to have players warned by email and/or via forum messages (PM`s) with two weeks before their account deletion because of account inactivity ! Can someone implement this PRE-DELETION ACCOUNT WARNING please ?  :thumbsup: Ofcourse, this can be available only for players which have also a forum account, but would be great if it can be implemented. (btw, my nickname on the forum is the same as on FIBS servers)

socksey

Hi PlayHunter,

Unfortunately, Fibs and Fibsboard are not directly connected and therefore, I doubt your request would be possible.  Patti runs Fibs and all suggestions regarding the running of Fibs should be directed to her on Fibs by leaving her a message if she is not there.  Fibsboard is sometimes read by Patti, but not always and Fibsboard has no control over Fibs whatsoever. 

Too bad you lost your rating on Fibs.  Try to log in once in a while to keep active and gl on gaining your 1800 rating back.  :yes:

socksey

If someone respects you, love will come. - Chris Christie, New Jersey Governor

dorbel

Fibs has in excess of 10,000 acounts at any one time. It has one unpaid administrator. Unpaid in this case means that she actually pays for the hosting of Fibs! If you can't be bothered to log on for 6 months, tough luck buster!
Yours etc, A. Caring Fibster.

ah_clem

Too bad about losing the account.  The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, hence my name change from uh_clem to ah_clem.

But I wouldn't sweat it.  Nobody in the entire world cares about your FIBS rating (or mine either), and if you are really an 1800 level player you should be back there fairly quickly.  If things work as designed you will be at your true rating after 400 experience points.

Patti

Inactive accounts have always been deleted after a period of inactivity.  The precise timeframe has varied over time, from a low of four months to a high of ten.  It's currently six months for experienced accounts, and fifteen days for accounts with low experience.  Those thresholds are subject to change as I tune the server.  Inactive accounts have a surprisingly large impact on server resources, which is why they are routinely purged.

As others have said, FIBSBoard and FIBS are not connected in any way.  There's no way for the FIBS server to send messages to anyone except through FIBS, and there's an obvious catch-22 there-- if you don't log in, you'll never see a message that tells you that your account is about to be deleted.  Very very few people enter email addresses on their accounts.

My suggestion is this:  If you really care about keeping your FIBS account, create a recurring reminder for yourself in your calendar system.  Specifically, set it up to remind you once a month to log into FIBS.

Also, FIBSBoard is a bad way to reach me-- I only log in here once every few weeks.  My email address is readily available for contact about FIBS issues.

(There's also a super-secret way to keep your account from being deleted, and no I won't tell you what it is.  You might be able to work it out if you think about it for a while.)

diane

Quote from: Patti on February 01, 2012, 02:17:44 AM(There's also a super-secret way to keep your account from being deleted, and no I won't tell you what it is.  You might be able to work it out if you think about it for a while.)

arrrggggghhh! I hate brain teasers!!  :dontknow: :frusty:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

PlayHunter

Thank you all for your inputs.  :thumbsup: By the way, in order to prevent account deletion it is good enough if we just log in into the respective account or do we have to play at least one game ?  :unsure: (I`m curious too about `the secret`)

socksey

I think just logging in will work, but you might play just a 1 ptr, at least, to be sure.   :)

socksey

I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the  politicians.  ~Charles de Gaulle

mpetch

I'd venture to guess the not so super secret way to avoid account deletion is to send Patti money.

ah_clem

Quote from: mpetch on February 07, 2012, 08:16:43 PM
I'd venture to guess the not so super secret way to avoid account deletion is to send Patti money.

Spoiler
Single malt scotch.  But don't tell anyone. It's a secret.
[close]

Patti