News:

want some cool sounds while you browse the boards.... see the new collapsable web radio section on the LHS, below birthdays, on the Front page

Main Menu

Tournaments on FIBS

Started by PortWine, July 22, 2004, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PortWine

Many of you have been enjoying tournaments for a good long while and we all have MadMatt to thank for tourneybot.  I think no one can dispute that it does its job, and does it well.

Here are a few tips for enjoying tourneys in general and some more specific incites into the tourneys I run.

If you want to be advised of pending tournaments, and the progress of a tournament there is a command to subscribe to tourneybot shouts:

In the command line type: tell tourneybot subscribe

Within a few second you must confirm the subscription otherwise you will not be subscribed.

In addition, the tourney directors (TD) each have a different "flavor" to the way they do things.  I am not the duly designated representative of TB (far far far from it) but wish to make my individual thoughts on how I run my tourneys known.

I normally run single elimination tourneys with 1 point games and a 3 point final (also known as a blitz), and single eliminaton tourneys with 3 point games and 5 point finals (a tourney).  I do not generally provide double elimination tourneys since they have a tendancy to last a real long time.

Usually I run from 1-3 tourneys a day from 8pm to 3am in the Eastern standard time zone (I am in NY, USA!)

From when I open up the tourney for registration I normally give 10 minutes to enter.

Once the tourney begins you have 5 minutes to join with your opponent or you will forfeit your match.  If you are finishing a game, and your opponent agrees, there is some leniency to this rule.  But in general, even if the opponents agree, we can not hold up the tournament for very long because the other players will be inconvenienced.  If you get in the habit of registering and not showing up, you risk being banned (nobody has been banned for not showing up to date, but there has been at least one warning for a multiple repeat offender.  He/she promises to mend his/her ways.)

It is the right of players to play in peace and quiet.  If they want singing  (gogo), dancing, shouting, taunting, that is their business.  If they don't like it, they have the power to blind or gag you.  You should give a warning before doing so.  Remember, this is a tournament and if other people want to watch you should afford them this preference, although it is not a requirement that is enforced.  I have a bug in the program I use to connect to FIBS which may shout a greeting if I am watching.  I now shut this greeting off when running tourneys to avoid having players become unglued.

I ask that you play the game within an acceptable period of time.  If you are taking an inordinate amount of time to move you risk disqualification.  If the person is thinking or has a slow modem connection, I will have more patience.  If the person is busy shouting or kibitzing a warning will be issued.  Again, this has not been a problem.

Since I like a little levity, some of my tournaments have a requirement to enter, such as telling a joke, or certifying that you are drunk.  Lets keep it all in good fun and have a good time with this.  As anyone can see from my rating (which hovers around 1500) I am an enthusiast, not a professional.  (duh!)

Lastly, if you want a tourney, all you have to do is ask!  As long as I am not leaving FIBS, I am happy to do it.  Also, more than one TD can run a tourney so it is possible for one to start it and another to help finish it.  Once a tourney is started a TD is only needed if there is a problem (ie players not showing up).

As you can see, these are really guidelines, and rarely have I felt the need to take any "enforcement" action.  I prefer to start the tourney, play in my own tourney (using the secret "tell tourneybot award win portwine" command, and have fun.

I hope everyone enjoys the tourneys and perhaps some of the other TDs will post how they like to run their tourneys as well.

thanks,

PortWine  :2drunk:

PS - Long live the drunken tourney!

Kari_Grandi

QuoteMany of you have been enjoying tournaments for a good long while and we all have MadMatt to thank for tourneybot. I think no one can dispute that it does its job, and does it well.

Lets not forget FLG http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/ and Tomawaky who started it's tourneys about 4 years ago ;). Tourneybot didn't even started realtime tourneys in fibs but after Tourneybot, they really started in every day basis.

Kari

Tomawaky

QuoteLets not forget FLG http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/ and Tomawaky who started it's tourneys about 4 years ago ;). Tourneybot didn't even started realtime tourneys in fibs but after Tourneybot, they really started in every day basis.

Kari
Thanks Kari  :)  
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

PortWine

A thousand pardons for my blatant oversight.   :ohmaster:

Lets give credit where credit is due!

diane

Early on - MadMatt laid out some guidelines for running tourneys - and in particular what would constitute grounds for a ban.  Since that is pretty much in agreement with how i wish to do things - i will be following those guidelines.  So all players know 'where the goal posts are' - here are those guidelines...

Quotedropping a match in a tourney

deliberate, repeating disregard of tourney rules

inappropriate behaviour while playing/observing a tourney match (kibitzing, jeering, cheering one player, offering advice etc.)

cheating (using bots to suggest moves, consulting with another player, throwing matches etc.)

lying to a Tourney Director, especially about their opponent not responding etc.

continually failing to show up on time to play their tourney matches, entering tourneys and then refusing to play etc.

emulating TourneyBot shouts and messages so as to confuse players

technical abuse: spamming requests, DoS attacks against TourneyBot's host etc.

any other deliberate and repeating activity that disrupts a tourney

There was one other comment which i also will be applying now it is easier for me to run my tourneys my way...

Quoteyou certainly don't have to let people who insult you or whatever enter your tourneys

And i will be the judge of what constitues 'whatever'  :D

I will make no further justification for, or explanation of, any bans i impose.

Beyond that - all are welcome and I hope they will continue to be fun  :D
Never give up on the things that make you smile