News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

when to double before the bear off

Started by boop, August 17, 2012, 12:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boop

hi

HI, I've read various bits about when to double near the end of the bear off -  earlier in the bearoff i thought I needed a pip lead of around 7-10 before I should double but this gnu analysis shows that I made a bad non double where I only had a lead of 2 pips.
so is there any advice on how I can better analyse these early bearoff situation?
(I can see that my distribution is better but can it really be worth 5 pips?)

tx :)

KDP

i would double this against a stronger opponent and hold on vs a weaker one.  there is some wastage  for white w/ the extra checker on the ace and a gap on the 5 pt and as you've noted red does have a better distribution.  running this position through XG says its a double/take.  looking at keith and thorp counts both have it as a ND/T and Trice count has it as a D/T.

boop

thanks KDP I'm looking at those various count methods now - is there one in particular that you find is most accurate, most often?

ah_clem

I use the Trice count - it's newer and more accurate than the Thorpe count and much easier to calculate than the Keith count.

Applying it here, Red has 62 pips to go.  Subtract 5, divide by 7 and you get 8 pips.  That's white's point of last take: 8 pips behind.  Adjusting white's pipcount by adding 2 for the extra checker on the ace and 1 for the gap on the 5 makes it 62 to 67, or a difference of 5 pips,  Since this is within 3 pips of the point of last take, it's a double, and since it's not beyond the point of last take it's a take.

Note that the Trice count is for money play; here white doesn't realize the full value of a recube so red can be more aggressive with the double.