News:

we need 2 or 3 small donations a month, and an ad or 2 each month, consistently over the year, to keep the board going.....http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

wanna get a good player - how?

Started by yappay, September 05, 2012, 02:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yappay

hi guys

i think fibs is a wonderful platform with an excellent GUI.
Furthermore i learned really a lot playing on fibs - but right now i am not further developing.

my question:

is there a possibility to get in a mode where the dice generator is fair?
if yes mr administrator please switch my mode.

thx
yappay

ah_clem

This article - http://www.bkgm.com/articles/GOL/demo/cue.htm - will give you some idea of why you think the bots get better dice than you do.

The dice on FIBS are absolutely fair.  The bots are just much better players than us.

yappay

this article is a good one - actually i also often do balance the pro and cons of different move possibilities.

but in this post i am actually trying to reach an administrator of the fibs platform. i would like to get fair dice.
dice are generally unfair especially dice in a bot game.

my question - can i get switched to fair mode?
do i have to participate more in tournaments?
should i get more involved in the community?

i love the handling of fibs application.

Patti

The way you reach the administrator of FIBS is by sending mail to "pattib AT fibs DOT com".  I rarely read FIBSBoard.

The dice on FIBS are fair and unbiased.  They do not favor any player.  The FIBS server does not "understand" positions beyond recognizing what legal rolls are.

diane

It is also worth reiterating..it does not distinguish between players either.

When a roll request comes in..you get the next sequential roll..whether you are GammonBot, Yappay, Diane, Blunderbot..or Patti herself.

The server does not pick and choose between players to give special rolls to, nor does it have a sneaky peek at your board position to determine what would be an infuriating roll for you, and a really good counter roll for Gammonbot....

There are other threads dedicated to this - and exactly how it is worded gets several fibsters frothing at the mouth, but the simple take home version is this..the bots play analysis shows them to be lucky more often because they play well...the better you play, the better you are making potential future rolls for you - and the luckier they will appear when analysed by gnu or similar.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

yappay

patti - i guess u r the administrator - so most probably no reason anymore to get in touch with u - thx for the reply

diane - a wonderful example for special dice is of course the dancing and not dancing - by the way a wonderful opportunity to even out the distribution.

i realized that u not really get tired to answer unfair dice questions (thx for that) - u must a be a real expert on this topic. do u know about articles containing information about how to program a backgammon bot with unfair dices?

another question: do u thinks there is a possibility to prove a well programmed cheating bot is cheating?

pck

Quote from: diane on September 06, 2012, 04:10:48 AM
the bots play analysis shows them to be lucky more often because they play well...

Correct, if "lucky" is replaced by "luckier".

Quote from: diane on September 06, 2012, 04:10:48 AM
the better you play, the better you are making potential future rolls for you - and the luckier they will appear when analysed by gnu or similar.

It's just the other way round: The better you play, the less lucky your future rolls can possibly be. A player who has won a match despite having made more mistakes than his opponent has been very lucky. A player who has won a match against a weaker player did not even have a chance to get very lucky since his opponent squandered his own luck by making bad moves.