News:

VIP Donor members can now access VIP articles on the random photos that appear on the front page, with links & larger images..

Main Menu

New TD's

Started by socksey, August 21, 2004, 11:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socksey

Seems we are all going to be swimming in the same pond, so to speak, so maybe we can help each other.  

This is where to place your suggestions.

Maybe, we can hold a training seminar for each, the old and the new.   ;)  

I see the shouts being flooded with tourney after tourney opening but not many joining or having the opportunity to join.  I don't see notices of when a tourney will begin, so as to let players know when they need to be ready.  I don't see notices for anything much except tourney #.  Let's share our experience, and knowledge with these new TD's who want to lighten our load, and in this process, we might learn some new tricks from the new ones.

This is a good place for the players who aren't interested in being a TD, to express what it is they would like to see improved about the tourneys.

socksey

AQUALIBRIUM (ak wa lib' re um) n. The point where the stream of drinking fountain water is at its perfect height, thus relieving the drinker from (a) having to suck the nozzle, or (B) squirting oneself in the eye. - submitted by Ann Gardner

webrunner

The first TD's should do is RTFM!!!   :D

Or even better: read the whole site.

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

dorbel

What happened to the post announcing that Tbot was now open access? Did that get removed for some reason? If so, what reason?
I get the impression that there is more infighting going on backstage than actual talk about bg and tournaments. What is happening in the TD cafe? Who are the members and are they purely self selecting?
Is it true that there are plans afoot to ban NIHolympic from the Bagel Olympics and if so on what grounds?
Sounds like Socksey wants to communicate, so no surprise there. Anybody else from the Politburo like to comment?
I ask purely in a spirit of enquiry.

diane

QuoteWhat happened to the post announcing that Tbot was now open access?

see this post for the answer to that question....

tbot status

There was fighting - we all got bored - and moved on - new things are being developed to address these issues.  But - one thing we did glean from all the hoo ha is that we will never ever be able to agree on anything.  Maybe that is good - maybe it aint - but it answers yer next question

QuoteIs it true that there are plans afoot to ban NIHolympic from the Bagel Olympics

Well that is like all the rest, we will each do as we feel - and in light of recent shouts - he is banned from any tourney I run (including BagO- and under any nick).  Not cos I am upset - or hurt, or anything else - just cos - you dont insult the TD and expect to play like nothing happened.  (see my post on banning grounds for further info - I dont intend to spell it out over and over)

So - answered - as best I can - anything else??
Never give up on the things that make you smile

webrunner

QuoteWhat happened to the post announcing that Tbot was now open access? Did that get removed for some reason? If so, what reason?
I get the impression that there is more infighting going on backstage than actual talk about bg and tournaments. What is happening in the TD cafe? Who are the members and are they purely self selecting?
Is it true that there are plans afoot to ban NIHolympic from the Bagel Olympics and if so on what grounds?
Sounds like Socksey wants to communicate, so no surprise there. Anybody else from the Politburo like to comment?
I ask purely in a spirit of enquiry.
Dorbel,
the TD Café is dead. There are only a few members left but there is hardly ever any posting. In fact.. the last post dates from 25 july .

So there is nothing going on behind your back, it is all out in the open now.

You could take a look at the fibscommunity website of Burper and Alef. Maybe there is some stuff going on there.
I haven't been there in a while.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

dorbel

ty diane and webrunner. It is a principle of backgammon tournaments generally that a tournament director may refuse to accept an entry to a tournament from any player without assigning a reason. All tournaments are in effect invitational and that is how it should be. However, in the case of NIHolympic, his entry for the ongoing qualification of Bagolympic has already been accepted, so if he is now to be ejected that is a different story. A director may in the normal course of things, indeed eject a player from a tournament, but that director may not act arbitrarily. He/she must give a reason for so doing and there should be a proper announcement and an appeals procedure to the tournament committee. That is common practice and natural justice. We should be told who is the overall tournament director for Bagolympic and we should be told why he has taken this decision and the player notified should be properly informed. He should also be informed of the correct appeals procedure and we should know which players constitute the appeals committee.  

diane

:LOOOL:

Did I mention I do this for fun??

All of that sounds lovely in practice - but I dont speak french - and struggle to make Tomawaky understand the goings on.  Each BagO slot is therefore independant - it has been stated clearly many times across this board now - TDs are independant and run their own tournaments their own way.  If you do not approve of the way a particular tournament is run - or think the TD is poor in some respect - then do not enter their tournaments - find the ones you like - and play in those.  In this arena - where no one is paid, no one has any money invested to encourage them to play by a set of rules - thats the best you are going to get.

I am sure there are more serious sites in which the tournaments are run in a more defined way - and entry fees (even if by way of membership) are charged - and prizes are won.  This is not like that , the TD has no means to elicit cooperation from the entrants - other than by removing them - so that is what happens.  The players have no  control over the TDs - other than by refusing to play with those they dont like.  
Committees, appeals and the like work well irl, and on payed for sites - aint gonna happen here.

So if NIHI is looking to get into my tournaments - he needs to talk to me - and if he can get through a sentence with use of the word sewerc*nt - maybe I will listen.  I suspect he isnt that bothered  :D  

dorbel

Yes I understand all that. I agree that a TD may refuse an entry as my post clearly states. My concern was with what appears to be his retroactive removal after qualifying for the USA team and replacement by boardking. Did that happen or didn't it? If it did happen, who did it and why? You may all be volunteers, but that doesn't give you carte blanche to act in any way that you like does it?
NIHI is habitually rude to people, to me more than most and I can't say that I like him much, but if he is going to be kicked out after qualifying, we and he should be told why in a proper manner.  

NIHILIST

Diane conveniently overlooks that my shouted insult followed hers. This is typical double-strandard behavior of the clowns that run the alleged tourneys.

It seems perfectly acceptable for her to insult participants, but unacceptable if she receives one in return. Its additionally revealing that I learned of my own banning thru this forum. None of the TDs had the courage to tell me himself.

NIHI
Robert J Ebbeler

NIHILIST

Incidentally, the exchange of insults did NOT take place during a tourney, but in general shouts. So it seems that anyone running afoul of Diane in shouts.....a fairly sizeable group, btw........ is fair game to her capricious actions.

NIHI

PS If Diane is willing to apologize, I am as well.
Robert J Ebbeler

socksey

Hellooooooooooo!?!?!?!?  This was supposed to be a POSITIVE thread.   :tears:  

dorbel says:  
QuoteI ask purely in a spirit of enquiry.

The whole tone of your first post, dorbel, was not of "enquiry" but of fanning the fire again.   :angry:

dorbel asks:  
QuoteWhat happened to the post announcing that Tbot was now open access?

Nothing happened to the thread.  It's still there for you to read.  It is not referring to TBot, tho, but to Tourneybot.  The two are separate entities although they can be used to support each other.   That thread was closed for further comment, because it was becoming a free-for-all flame war like you are trying to make this thread, with some success, I might add.   <_<

dorbel, you certainly seem to have some opinions on TDing.  I am wondering why you haven't joined the TD group yet?  Matt opened up his bot for everyone.  Go for it!   :D

NIHILIST, diane is quite right when she says, we are all volunteers, and that none of us have to put up with any offensive behavior from any of the players.  She's right about most everything else she says, too, but If diane offends you and you don't like her, then simply don't play in her tourneys.  BTW, why haven't you joined the TD group, o, opinionated one?    ;)  

Now, can we please get back to the original subject?  Does anyone have any positive and creative ideas about how to help the new TD's do a better job?

socksey

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

dorbel

Asking questions is not Fanning the Fire. If people can be thrown out of an event for which they are qualified because they are rude to somebody, then that is a matter of concern to all. It may be that the ejection of NIHolympic is a good thing and a fair response to his exchange of insults with diane, but if it is to be carried out quite arbitrarily, without even notifying him then that is at the very least questionable.
I do have many opinions as to how a tournament should be run and if there was a coherent body intent on formulating a code of conduct and implementing it, I would be interested in joining it, but there isn't. Socksey's sad response to my opinions, which were expressed on a point of principle in an entirely disinterested fashion, is typical. Dissent is not sabotage! Criticism is not treason! Now is there anyone prepared to discuss the points that I have raised?

NIHILIST

I had no idea Bagolympics was HER tourney. And, up to the exchange of insults, we seem to have peacefully co-existed. We were even matched twice in 1 or 2 point tourneys.

I don't become a TD because I am not interested in hosting the kinds of tourneys all of you host. If you enjoy toiling unloved and unappreciated over 1 point "tournaments", that's your concern . It's just not my thing.

NIHI
Robert J Ebbeler

burper

if you want to play in tournies, do not act like nihilist.
that is not a concern for all

socksey

QuoteIf people can be thrown out of an event for which they are qualified because they are rude to somebody, then that is a matter of concern to all.

If anyone is thrown out of a tourney, they are notified by tourneybot or tbot, whichever the case my be.  There is never a doubt about that being done.

QuoteI do have many opinions as to how a tournament should be run and if there was a coherent body intent on formulating a code of conduct and implementing it, I would be interested in joining it, but there isn't.

There certainly can be.  Join tourneybot as a TD, set your own standards, enforce them, run tourneys.  That's how simple it is.

QuoteI had no idea Bagolympics was HER tourney.

Any tourney belongs to the person running it at that time.  If you use the command, tell tourneybot (or tbot) tourney #, you will be given all the particulars of that tourney # including who the moderator/s are.

QuoteI don't become a TD because I am not interested in hosting the kinds of tourneys all of you host

Precisely why you should be a TD, so you can run tourneys to your own liking, and introduce something new and different to our community.  

socksey

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is 'to be prepared'." - George W. Bush   :lol:

NIHILIST

Apparently Socksey, you haven't grasped that I consider your "community" to be a bunch of snxxxxxxxxxxxxt, nxxxxxxxt, oxxxxxxxn fxxxxs. I've seen cxxxxxxxxxxs conducted in a more organized fashion. I'm not interested in contributing a thing to that lxxxr cxxxxy.

Not to belabor the point, but I was NOT thrown out of an ongoing tourney and so advised by TourneyBot. Diane has banned me from FUTURE play, without notifying me, for engaging in an exchange of shouted insults with her.

If you say it is within her right as a TD to do so, who am I to argue ? I remind you that it is this kind of arbitrary behavior that I warned about people engaging in should they ever get the FIBS code. You've already had a taste of the potential chaos when the door was opened to anyone wanting to be a TD.

NIHI
Robert J Ebbeler

diane

QuoteMy concern was with what appears to be his retroactive removal after qualifying for the USA team and replacement by boardking.
Ok - I do not know anything about this. That part of this is Tomawakys responsibility - I had no input there.

NIHILIST
QuoteDiane conveniently overlooks that my shouted insult followed hers. This is typical double-strandard behavior of the clowns that run the alleged tourneys.
actually - you insulted inim i believe - and I responded - your insult was uncalled for (for some reason he likes you  :wacko: )  My exact words were 'and here comes another one'  barely on a par with your response!!  Thats fair - I long ago realised you are capable of nastiness way beyond my reach.  And what is alleged, they are tourneys???

QuoteNone of the TDs had the courage to tell me himself.

Had a special line all planned out actually - but never mind - this preempted it, I had thought it had got to you via the grapevine - hence the comments - seems I missed the point - not uncommon  :rolleyes:

QuoteIncidentally, the exchange of insults did NOT take place during a tourney, but in general shouts.

I never claimed otherwise.

NIHILIST

Actually, I don't recall insulting Inim at that time. I very clearly remember logging in, seeing a few of your shouts on my screen, shouting SHALOM to someone, and seeing your shout that " one a**hole logs out, another one logs in. "

THAT is what I responded to. If I take you at your word, from your shouts of that evenng, you'd had rather a lot to drink, hence my shout " Have another drink before you leave, sewerc**t."

However, let's accept YOUR recollection for the moment. As you tell it, I insulted Inim, so you felt compelled to put your nose into something that was no concern of yours. You got a predictable response.

This scenario is typical of the crap I get regularly. It's all fun and giggles when you and your ilk throw rocks at me, but when I throw a bigger rock, you either run to Patti, or ban me from your precious tourneys.

NIHI
Robert J Ebbeler

diane

Quoteand seeing your shout that " one a**hole logs out, another one logs in. "

LOL not even close, poppet   :D

I didnt save it - but plenty saw it  :D

You can throw all the rocks you like - I will keep out of their way - which means I dont let you in the tourneys I am running - it is no big deal - there are others - and you dont much like em anyways.  Why do you always complain about being banned??  You think I am such a pushover I am gonna just take all that on the chin??  And yes - I will always defend my friends - if you choose to see that as me putting my nose in - as you wish. I call it loyalty - but I expect you dont see much of that - with your outlook on life.

socksey

Is this being productive?  I think not.  If you two want to "throw rocks", do it on messenger or personal message.  Do it here again and I will close the thread.

socksey

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. - Robert Benchley

souptree

QuoteThe first TD's should do is RTFM!!!   :D

Or even better: read the whole site.
Entertaining thread, people.  dorbel should turn his prodigious attentions to monkeywrenching more often.  Sorry, wox, I know entertaining me was not the purported goal of this thread (although I can only assume it was an implied goal).  Like the (d)evolution of the 10K club, sometimes there are unintended consequences to these things.

I guess webrunner's use of 'RTFM' indicates that the term 'STFU' is hereby sanctioned on the fibsboard.  (?)  As it should be!

BTW, wox, I am still planning on becoming a TD (I enjoy toiling unloved and unappreciated!), I just haven't had much time for fibs the last couple weeks.
[size=8]All We Are Saying Is Give Peas A Chance[/size]
[size=8]www.souptree.net/fibs/stfu.jpg
Trees don't grow on money either.
[/size]

gogogiz

i am posting regarding new t.d's....

this is getting ridiculous and making my time on fibs less enjoyable and that goes for others too.
This morning i log into fibs and immediatley get a notice that i have been banned from tourney 980 from sparks......Not the nicest thing to start of the week...this has also happend to a lot of other fibsters this morning...

also Sparks is now complaining to repbot too
samirah shouts: RepBot says: spark's complainers: burper, donzaemon, gonzobuzz, rinit, samirah, Shades RepBot says: spark has no vouchers.
RepBot says: spark's complaints: breadfruit, clau, donzaemon, gogogiz, grasshopper, MadMatt, samirah, Shades, TourneyBot

every 5 mins now i am getting tells that i am banned from tourneys.....

this needs to be sorted out....i see this as a hassle and annoyance...how long is it going to last for   or is it going to go on for good...

diane

I expect it will go on until the novelty wears off.  Sorry to hear this is happening - it doesnt sound much fun  :(   Do you have any idea why sparks has targetted you for banning - or is it a lot of players - picked at random?

gogogiz

the bans went to everyone i knew who was on and it wouldn't suprise me if everybody who was online got them... :angry: i just hope spark dissapears from fibs forever  :cool:  

diane

:lol:

Not just people on line it seems...here is what i logged in to...

Message from TourneyBot: You have been appointed as a Director of Tourney #979, by the order of spark.
Message from TourneyBot: You have been appointed as a Director of Tourney #980, by the order of spark.
Message from TourneyBot: You have been appointed as a Director of Tourney #981, by the order of spark.
Message from TourneyBot: You have been appointed as a Director of Tourney #982, by the order of spark.
Message from TourneyBot: You have been appointed as a Director of Tourney #983, by the order of spark.
Message from TourneyBot: You have been appointed as a Director of Tourney #984, by the order of spark.

lets hope the boredom sets in real soon  :D

Oops, seeing them here - they aren't bans - as I thought on screen - but seems I moderated some tourneys whilst busy at work - how very multitasking of me  :D

Well guess that is his/her 6 for today anyway.  perhaps he/she is just playing with the controls to see what they do - in the manner of a 3 year old investigating a VCR  :rolleyes:

diane

Since none of these tourneys actually ran - to tidy the list up a bit I have deleted them - but there are still 5 I cant remove - perhaps the creators would like to remove them?
The command is 'tell tourneybot drop tourney No.' and then reply yes.

PortWine

It used to be that you could log in, type "tell tourneybot tourneys" and see if anything was going on.  There were always one or two odd tourneys still hanging on but it was simple.  Now it is a f*&%ing mess!  Oh well!  Democracy is a messy process as well and dictators can make the trains run on time.  I guess a messy system is better.

MadMatt

spark has been removed from TDs and globally banned from TourneyBot.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

diane

Thx Matt - I too had been approached by a lot of upstanding and very confused fibsters about their bans!!

socksey

Thx, Matt!  Would it be too much to ask that you do the same for gonzobuzz?   ;)

socksey

"Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If
you're alive, it isn't." - Richard Bach

diane

To offer evidence for that - here is tonights offering...(gees i am glad i am usually in bed now..)

In the middle of a  tourney run by gogo (very professionally might i add  ;) )

TourneyBot says: *** Single Elimination Bracket Tourney #989 (Tourney #989) has opened for registration! Type 'tell TourneyBot tourney 989' for details. Register with 'tell TourneyBot register 989'. ***

Message from TourneyBot: You have been appointed as a Director of Tourney #989, by the order of gonzobuzz.

(i am still playing in the other btw)

then..

Message from TourneyBot: You have been banned from Tourney #990, by the order of gonzobuzz.

then..

Message from TourneyBot: You have been banned from Tourney #991, by the order of gonzobuzz.

then...

Message from TourneyBot: You have been banned from Tourney #992, by the order of gonzobuzz.

then...

Message from TourneyBot: You have been banned from Tourney #993, by the order of gonzobuzz.

then..

I won the tourney I was actually playing in  :D

along the way..

hangglide says: i'm confused by the multiple tourneys

yeah me too  :rolleyes:

boardking shouts: TourneyBot wrote this message: 9You have been banned from Tourney #992 by the order of gonzobuzz.

hangglide shouts: i have been removed from 992 by order of gonzobuzz

TourneyBot shouts: *** The ###### is HERE!!! (Tourney #1000) has opened for registration! Type 'tell TourneyBot tourney 1000' for details. Register with 'tell TourneyBot register 1000'. *** (good to know tourney 1000 was such a positive event  :D )

meanwhile - back at the ranch - since he is such a talented player - gonzo is playing 99 ers!!!

brazilbabe and gonzobuzz start a 99 point match. (one after another  :D )  maybe that is why the tourneys didnt get full attention.....

diane

And as if all that wasnt fun enough for one night ..

TourneyBot says: |1000: [bracket] The ###### is HERE!!!| |Thu, 26 Aug 04 02:54 UTC| |Directors: brazilbabe| |Status: In progress|

TourneyBot: T1000R1M2 (3-pt): heymark (1552) vs. brazilbabe (1591)

and...

heymark shouts: so now...what happens if your tourney player drops?

oh dear  :(

Maybe adding the rep thing to the add moderator command should be considered..

gogogiz

hiya all...i just thought i would add this info...

gonzobuzz was also brazilbabe last nite....playing 99 pointers with himself and dropping winners in the tourney...

Information about gonzobuzz:   Last login:  Thursday, August 26 02:21 UTC from 193.194.70.123

Information about brazilbabe:   Last login:  Thursday, August 26 01:51 UTC from 193.194.70.123

not only a tourney ruiner & dropper but a cheat :stupid:  

lewscannon

Quotehiya all...i just thought i would add this info...

gonzobuzz was also brazilbabe last nite....playing 99 pointers with himself and dropping winners in the tourney...

Information about gonzobuzz:   Last login:  Thursday, August 26 02:21 UTC from 193.194.70.123

Information about brazilbabe:   Last login:  Thursday, August 26 01:51 UTC from 193.194.70.123

not only a tourney ruiner & dropper but a cheat :stupid:
Does this mean that the complete set of Ginzu knives that I was promised for winning his last tournament aren't really in the mail?

diane

QuoteDoes this mean that the complete set of Ginzu knives that I was promised for winning his last tournament aren't really in the mail?
You mean one of them actually ran??  :P  

PortWine

It dices...it slices....it'll roll doubles for you!

MadMatt

I banned them. Looks like my master plan isn't turning out so great, now I have even more work with abusing idiots. Hopefully the novelty will wear off...

I might disable messages the bot sends when a TD bans someone next, too...
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website