News:

welcome to Fibsboard! your global moderators are stog (and mrs stog) socksey sixty diane zorba and a wonderful group of individual board moderators ......thx to ALL

Main Menu

RE: GNU Scrapbook of problems

Started by KongDan, December 26, 2012, 03:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KongDan

FIBSboard suggested that I make a new topic as the old topic has been dead a while. Thanks to sixty_something who made the initial topic.

I've been planning on considerably improving my approach to the game, and spending time on each aspect of the game in turn, and so systemising errors/positions into specific aspects has been a very useful, yet also a tiresome process.

Looking through the various websites on backgammon strategy, I came across this page: http://www.gammonluck.com/nordicseminar.html

I've put each of these aspects [about 40 of them in total] in OneNote with a second column, where I copy links of GNUBG positions [which have may have been edited/altered/rolled out], the links of gammonluck's positions, backgammon forum positions, and screenshots from backgammon books. I have added a few rows to this table to add aspects from Magriel's book, and other aspects that I'm working on. Here is a small screenshot of the first couple of columns

Hope to hear of some feedback of this way of learning, has anybody else tried this approach before?

KongDan out

[my FIBS user: SnakeByte]
[my skype id: danimal1993]

dorbel

How to learn backgammon? I've no idea how many different answers there are to this question, but I know it's a large number! Putting some order into reference positions by categorising them and subdividing sounds great, but it is as, you have probably already found, an enormous amount of work.
One thing I would suggest is to invest $50 in purchasing ExtremeGammon. It is clearly superior to Gnu, not because it plays better although it does by a small margin, but because its interface and storage of data is immensely better. All those who write for the game and post on the forums already use this, so you do need to be speaking the same language.
Good luck with it all. Study and learning can be as interesting as actually playing!