News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2011 cheers! ..thx godwinson, webrunner, stog, spielberg*, hartkegirl, KissMyAss*, ettu*,  jackdaddy*, diane, caleb, sixty_something*, Zorba*, aviator, Tom*, anonymous*, roygbiv*, r_monk *

Main Menu

TECHICAL PROBLEM

Started by garp_02, December 26, 2012, 08:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garp_02

Hi

Can anyone help with a slight technical hitch.

Santa brought me a new PC - I don't know how he knew my old one was packing in.

I have re-installed JavaFibs and it seems to be working ok but my rating isn't changing after losing/winning.

Any suggestions?

garp_02

That's not strictly true.

Fibs is recording my rating but it's not showing up in JavaFibs satistics!

diane

ok..what version of windows [if it is windows] are you running?

If it is Vista or newer, did you install javafibs to 'program files'?

You can't do that with Vista or newer, it must go in documents, a USB stick, or anywhere that isnt program files :-)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

garp_02

That could be the problem Diane.

New computer = new fangled Windows 8 operating system (still wrestling with that).

I'll try moving it out of program files then  :)

garp_02

Managed to get the ratings thing sorted out but have lost my usual board.

I don't know what it was but it was wooden with red & white checkers :(

NIHILIST

Did you completely re-install javafibs ; ie, download it, etc ? If so, your old preferences wouldn't have made the trip. If you still have your old pc, with javafibs on it, simply copy or move the old javafibs folder to a usb flash drive, then transfer javafibs to your new box and all your old settings will be intact.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

garp_02

I did manage to save my old files and transferred them. During the process, however, the 'ratings' and 'matches' files became read-only (something to do with the new operating system I assume). I managed to find them and untick the boxes but still left with a horrible board. But I guess I can live with it.

I appreciate your help anyway :)

diane

I take it you did go to the preferences menu, select board, and try scrolling through to see if your favourite board is in there?

If so and the default options dont appeal to you - try this board, it is much nicer than most of the default ones. Simply download this file, click on it, put the unzipped folder in your 'board' folder in the javafibs folder, then it will be available in that menu to select.

In windows 7 , you dont need anything to unzip the files, you click on the zipped folder, and the one to copy into javafibs is right there :-) I imagine windows 8 will work in a similar fashion.

Otherwise - if you go to the javafibs download page http://www.fibs.com/javafibs/

Then 'custom boards' on the left hand side menu..there are loads more you can download and use.

I hope you find something you like :-)

garp_02

OK Techies - now's your chance to shine :)

Somehow managed to delete my old JavaFibs. Now trying to re-install.

I can install it and log on - but, as someone else once posted, the wee buttons along the top are miniscule and that includes all the buttons that make it possible to play.

Any help would be gratefully received.

diane

My best guess would be your monitor display settings...have you done something to those recently? A new monitor or something? Try playing around with those and see if it makes it any better...you can pick a different one, then preview it before you actually change to the new settings.

KissMyAss

Be prepared for explanation words like "doohickey"....

Here's what I did to sort that problem. 

I redownloaded javafibs, then created a new empty folder on my desktop.  When I unzipped the downloaded folder, I dragged everything over to the new empty folder.   Then I took the user and matches folders out of the empty folder, replacing them with the old ones from the previous download, which have all my friends list etc stored.    Then I left the jar13 file in the "empty" folder, and i launch it from there, instead of launching the jar file from the desktop.   After over a year of the little buttons being just squares on the screen, I now have all the pretty colours and buttons.   

MANY MANY thanks go to inim for talking me thru this process previously, and saving the small thread of sanity I have left. :)        Hope this helps.   
Hugs
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

socksey

I was gonna say.........inim is the one to ask.  He knows all (about Fibs and puters, that is)!  ;)))

socksey

We cannot do great things on this Earth, only small things with great love. - Mother Teresa

garp_02

That worked a treat KMA - thanks very much  :)

KissMyAss

You're welcum hun.    hugs
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)