News:

Remember if you wish to share a pic or a story, with just a selected few, use the new extended profile with custom buddy list http://www.fibsboard.com/announcements/new-ultimate-profile-a-biopicdocumentsounds-area-that-can-only-be-seen-by-b/

Main Menu

NEW TOURNEY IDEA, FEEDBACK WANTED

Started by KDP, April 17, 2013, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDP

i'm thinking of hosting a tourney on FIBS and would like your feedback.  my idea is for a 21 pt tourney to be held over the course of a month or two. 

the first and most important question is would you participate?

is tourneybot adequate for an event such as this or would doing it manually via challonge.com suffice?

is one week per round long enough to schedule and play your match? 

how do you feel about giving out an email address to help schedule matches or is the FIBS message system enough?

im sure there will be more questions later, but i first wanted to see how much interest there would be in an event such as this.  thanks in advance for your feedback

socksey

I've never played a 21 point match, but would be willing to give it a try if you use challonge.com.   ;)

Tourneybot sometimes times out wrong, not often, but it does happen, and it would be doubly hard to take a wrong timeout in a 21 pt. match.   :(

Nacci tourney uses 1 week to play matches.  That should ordinarily be enough time, and Fibs message system should be adequate enough.

GL to you and hope it all works out.  :)

socksey

God doesn't play dice with the universe. - Albert Einstein

Tom

21pts is quite a match!

It could be interesting, how many players would you expect to get?

From running the TPR Player of the year tourney I can say that TourneyBot can handle it quite well.
I can also say that we had to wait quite a while for the Bago bracket to finish since the clocks were manual (challonge)

The long clocks of a multi-day make it very hard to timeout if you make any effort to play.

With a little care and feeding they will work very well. (Much less effort than manual clocks for sure!)

I'll be happy to help you set it up and I will also play as well!

Tom
ps. I have not had any clock errors reported to me in quite a while. I do know of one player who does abuse the clocks, but that will be fixed soon.

diane

I will play if it is run with tourneybot. The clocks can be set longer for a specific tourney and suited to a longer match. The problem of challonge is that it relies on players to play and report - and that is more faulty than tourneybots clocks [which aren't faulty now  ;) ]

Sounds fun - although I do have the ongoing match scheduling issues with timezones, but if I can , I will - I prefer longer matches.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

What's the takepoint and price of gammon on a recube to 4 at  13-5 in a match to 21?

I have no idea, so I'll stick to 5 and 7 pointers.

Tom

Quote from: ah_clem on April 17, 2013, 09:05:33 PM
What's the takepoint and price of gammon on a recube to 4 at  13-5 in a match to 21?

I have no idea, so I'll stick to 5 and 7 pointers.

We digress, but in the first half of the match that question is moot, since a gammon with a 4 cube won't cost you the match...

(edit) I see your question better now that it is posted  :blush:
I donno either, but 21pts is much more forgiving of mistakes... assuming your opponent actually USES the cube!

tom

KissMyAss

I'll support it in any way that I can without actually playing, unless bodies are needed to make it run.   

Nine points seems to be about the limit of my attention span, but I will be available if needed.    :cool:

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

moonshadow

Quote from: KDP on April 17, 2013, 01:03:28 PM
i'm thinking of hosting a tourney on FIBS and would like your feedback.  my idea is for a 21 pt tourney to be held over the course of a month or two. 

the first and most important question is would you participate?

I like longer matches (7-13 pts) and would consider entering a 21 pt tourney.

*remainder of post removed by socksey*

vegasvic

I will play if tourneybot is not used , and its a manual tourney . you need to be flexible. "The bot is not . "

Also i think you might want to think about having a 13 game regular matches with a 21 game final . or maybe a 7 game final making it 2 out of 3 .

21 for all matches might be to long for a lot of people .

Open ABT live tourneys i have seen are  13 game matches with a 21  game final .