News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

New backgammon website!

Started by webrunner, September 10, 2004, 03:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrunner

Dear Backgammon enthousiasts,
Some of you might know me from fibsboard, the forum i started here for Fibs users.
Although it is a fun place, it is purely for fibs users and handles mostly fibs related stuff.

That is why i started a  new backgammon Portal for a broader Backgammon audience.
"Another backgammon portal" you are asking me?
Well.. the difference is that this portal is free for everyone, and everyone can participate and contribute to it.
That means that everyone can add links, write articles, modify the Backgammon wiki doc (yes, there is a Backgammon Wiki!!), post to the forum and this newsgroup (as you can see), add book reviews, etc. etc. etc.

Right now the site is quite empty, as i am filling it with more information, links etc.
The forum also holds an small but fast growing archive of rec.games.backgammon and is actually a webinterface to this newsgroup.

Please register (it's is totally free!) and help me build this website.
Also suggestions are welcome. Even if you hate it, i'm interested in your opinion so write it to me or post it on the forum.

O yeah, the site is on www.bg-world.com.
Hope to see you soon on bg-world!   :cool:  
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Kari_Grandi

Hi Eric,

very nice work!! I really hope that it will become a success!

Kari

webrunner

That depends on you and the other visitors ;)
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

Ramses

Hi Eric!

Good work despite i only take  a short look on it. Hope it works out as you want.
:cool:
Ramses  

burper

I wish you success with the site. A totally open resource of this type will be a great contribution to the bg community!

On a side note regarding the wiki, it should be noted that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgammon exists. Read up on what wikipedia is and is not to pinpoint what your focus should be on bg-world, i.e. starting from where an encyclopedia leaves off and branching off from there.

If I ever develop any interest in backgammon, I'll be sure to stop by ;)

socksey

I'm hooked already, webbie!   :D   (rec.games.backgammon)

Thx for the link, burper!  I can never find those basics for the new backgammon player!   :cool:  Also, enjoying your forums at:  http://fibscommunity.org/index.php

socksey

In a Thurmont, Maryland, cemetery:  "Here lies an Atheist. . . All dressed up and no place to go."

webrunner

QuoteI wish you success with the site. A totally open resource of this type will be a great contribution to the bg community!

On a side note regarding the wiki, it should be noted that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backgammon exists. Read up on what wikipedia is and is not to pinpoint what your focus should be on bg-world, i.e. starting from where an encyclopedia leaves off and branching off from there.

If I ever develop any interest in backgammon, I'll be sure to stop by ;)
I know that burper.
In fact, the link is already in there :)

But why don't you register and post some more links?  :D
Or even better, create some docs in the Wiki.. that is what it is there for !
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

burper

Are you kidding?!? Me, pretending to know something?!? dorbel would have my hide.

Tomawaky

Why not integrate FibsBoard as a part of BG world ?
Always more usefull to have just one favorite link rather than 2 !

Is it a bad idea ?
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

burper

Damn, did we give this guy a Fibsie already?
I'm going to have to take back all those nasty things I've said about webrunner now  :blink:

I believe a true gift has been bestowed today, not only upon the fibs community, but upon the backgammon world in general (apologies to those who think fibs and backgammon are mutually exclusive). If you don't realize the significance of this, read on and contemplate, because perhaps it takes a bit of imagination to understand the exciting possibilities here.

BG-World now has a wiki! If you don't know what a wiki is, check out these links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page[/li][/list]
      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiWeb[/li][/list]This particular wiki is not just a collaboration tool for some set of people, it is 'pure' in the sense that  anybody may contribute, AND know that their contribution is given to the community under the GNU Free Documentation License, which means that the information will always belong to the community. Noone will ever be able to place restrictions on the use of the content. This is important.

Today is the first day, so there isn't much there now, but just think of the  potential. Consider WikiPedia and wonder at how well it works. If you are first hearing about wiki's, perhaps you expected anarchy and chaos? Hey, if you're a fibster, maybe  you are attracted to this kind of thing anyway, or at least have an appreciation of its' power. I had the same thought when I first envisioned RepBot. I wasn't sure it would work, but I knew it would be a wild ride so I did it anyway. So watch this space!

So what sort of information will get generated? Who knows. WikiPedia has a dry definition of backgammon, but it's scope is that of an encyclopedia. At the advanced end of things, true experts at backgammon may wish to pursue commercial ventures when imparting their knowledge writing books or articles for subscription based media. Whatever you can imagine is in between those two extremes, will end up in this Wiki.

I find it exciting, but then, I'm a geek. The idea doesn't need selling, it will suceed quite naturally on its' own. I simply wanted to post a thank you to webrunner here and share something nice I know about webrunner with all you fibsters.  :cry2:  I'm getting all choked up here!

webrunner

It is my pleasure Burper, enjoy!
      You understand though that now i expect you to contibute to that Wiki in a big way ;)

Tomawaky, thanks for the input but i won't put the two together.
      Fibsboard is about Fibs where is BG-World about Backgammon (a much broader subject). Fibsboard would have to be shrunken down to make room for other subjects.
      And i don't think that is a good idea, you?
      Bruce Lee
      Orion Pax |

Tomawaky

QuoteFibsboard would have to be shrunken down to make room for other subjects.
      You're maybe right....
      My scare was about to split the community.
      Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

webrunner

QuoteFibsboard would have to be shrunken down to make room for other subjects.
      You're maybe right....
      My scare was about to split the community.
      That won't happen.
      Fibsboard will probably grow because of BG-World.
      Bruce Lee
      Orion Pax |