News:

Look into the LINKS section. Please add your favorite backgammon links.

Main Menu

RepBot not active

Started by amarganth, September 15, 2004, 10:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amarganth

Hi

What's happened with RepBot?  :huh: It isn't active since 3 days. Does there exists a RepBot-administrator, who cares?  

Thx
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

diane

Avik hosts repbot - I dont know why it is down - he is normally quite quick at getting it back online - so I assume he is away.

I will send an email or two - and see if it hurries things along.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

amarganth

To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

hypnosa

Yeah, I miss Repbot too  :unsure:  
Check my new website: www.vrouwenpower.nl

socksey

It's like the "old" days on Fibs!  Thx, again to burper for creating RepBot in the first place and thx to Avik for continuing to maintain RepBot.  We really appreciate it although we tend to take it for granted.   :rolleyes:

socksey

"When the Lord calls me home ... I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future.  I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead." - Nov. 5, 1994 - Ronald W. Reagan

amarganth

I've build an additional feature into my NiceRollerBot. You can ask NRB for the unfinished games of a person:

Quotetell NiceRollerBot ask <name>

To get the reputation of RepBot isn't possible. And, sorry, the feature is only available, if NiceRollerBot is up and running.
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

webrunner

QuoteI've build an additional feature into my NiceRollerBot. You can ask NRB for the unfinished games of a person:

Quotetell NiceRollerBot ask <name>

To get the reputation of RepBot isn't possible. And, sorry, the feature is only available, if NiceRollerBot is up and running.
That bot is getting better all the time :)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Ramses

Hi Rolf!

Great!! :D
Now i have a Backup when RepBot is down.
BTW You made a great Job with NRB
:cool:

Ramses

don

RepBot, in its original concept, was an interesting and useful tool.  Kudos to burper for introducing it.  Unfortunately, it's design also laid it open to abuse and manipulation.  I've seen jerks use RepBot to drive new users away from FIBS.  What a laugh those jerks had!  And of course we all know, or should know, about the sale of RepBot vouches.  In this sense, RepBot has been abused by at least one of the greatest abusers of the FIBS ratings system.  And there is the clicque behavior.

The only objective, and therefore most useful, feature of RepBot is its list of the number of a user's saved matches.  This info is available elsewhere, but RepBot is convenient.  Other than that, I won't be sorry if RepBot never returns, since some of the worst users of FIBS have figured out how to turn it from an objective tool to a weapon of abusive manipulation.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

webrunner

Although i am aware of the occasional misuse of Repbot, i do think it is a useful bot. The reputation is a good indicator of the person's history with other players . The people who have manipulated their rep are well known and thus i ignore their "good"rep.

I mos Repbot a lot as i play with 3DFibs. One of the best  features of this client is it's repbot integration. And now, that is not working anymore :(
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

diane

I found this in my inbox tonight when I got home, I dont know if it is out of date now - but thought I would share it anyway.

QuoteYes, RepBot is down, probably due to a power failure at my home.

Unforunately I am out of the country and am unable to correct the
situation. I'll return in about a week. I'm truly sorry for the
inconvenience.

Thanks for that Avik.

(this was sent to me on the 16th, so we can expect repbot back around thursday/friday from the sounds of this mail)

webrunner

Does anyone else have a copy of the repbot code?
I could function as a backup.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

don

Webby, I have a question about those "well known" manipulators you ignore:  Do you object when they use RepBot as a weapon against new users or do you only care that they post here and massage your ego?

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

diane

QuoteDoes anyone else have a copy of the repbot code?
I could function as a backup.
I was wondering that myself - rather like we have with the tourneybots. For things we simply cannot live without  ;), it makes sense to have copies on different systems.  Repbot, I expect, is better run singly (ie one logged in at a time), but if there were other copies around - another could be brought online if problems occurred.

socksey

What about that, burper?  Have any copies laying about?   :rolleyes:

socksey

"What concerns me is not the way things are, but rather the way people think things are." - Epicetus

burper

The code is open source and easily found, but its' the database that is useful.
Best to wait a week.

If anyone has any bright ideas about distributing RepBot (including its' data), feel free to discuss them at fibscommunity.org.

burper

QuoteWebby, I have a question about those "well known" manipulators you ignore:  Do you object when they use RepBot as a weapon against new users or do you only care that they post here and massage your ego?

--
don
This well known manipulator is probably doing the newbies a favor, if your allegation is true. It saves them time and a lot of frustration. We all know that thin-skinned people don't do very well on fibs, with this sort of flaming being allowed.

PortWine

I think everytime repbot goes down I have a new level of appreciation for burper.

I am reduced to only playing people I know because the droppers come out in full force.  It is boring!

PW  :2drunk:  

diane

QuoteThe code is open source and easily found, but its' the database that is useful.
I wonder if  'skeleton' bot - which doesn't accept vouches/complaints, but that quotes saved games, is still better than nothing in an emergency.  Rather like NRB is doing at the moment when online. It could be set with a short message explaining what is happening etc too - to stop those endless questions  ;)

juggler

QuoteIf anyone has any bright ideas about distributing RepBot (including its' data), feel free to discuss them at fibscommunity.org.
Hi burper,

I happen to be renting a dedicated server (www.schneiderp.de). uptime is now 129 days. We could install a copy of repbot and the database on it, establish a data replication scheme (daily would be enough?) and a watchdog that checks somehow each minute whether the primary repbot is online. If not, the replacement repbot jumps in. As soon as the primary server comes back up, it can just log in; the backup repbot would automatically get disconnected by fibs ("warning: you are already logged in"). Does that sound feasible?

The watchdog could actually be a program (based on your Java FIBS lib?) that logs in as "repbot_watchdog" or whatever and just asks a whois, quits and returns a status.

One could probably extend that concept to a couple of distributed symmetrical repbot installations that each log in as watchdog in regular intervals like n minutes (n being the number of known installations) and check before they log in as repbot.

We can discuss details by mail.

Peter/juggler