News:

You can now show us where you live by placing a pin on the Google map in your profile.

Main Menu

water supply and fracking

Started by stog, July 20, 2013, 09:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiefnu

Don't be in too much of a hurry to advocate the use of waste water and sewer outflow, as being polluted and therefore useless. It is easily purified, either in sewage treatment plants or reed beds. The tap water one gets in London, for example, may have been recycled several times. This may not sound very appealing but it comes through clean enough for the Coca Cola Company to have bottled and marketed it as mineral water. It always amazes me that people are evidently happy to pay more per litre for bottled water than they'd stump up for petrol.

stog

Fracking is a powerful drain on water supplies. In adjacent Crockett county, fracking accounts for up to 25% of water use, according to the groundwater conservation district. But Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, argues fracking is not the only reason Texas is going dry – and nor is the drought. The latest shocks to the water system come after decades of overuse by ranchers, cotton farmers, and fast-growing thirsty cities." (up to 8 million gallons of water are needed to frack each well btw)

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/11/texas-tragedy-ample-oil-no-water

NIHILIST

I personally favor using some kinds of re-claimed wastewater for fracking. The frack-water need not be pure and I'd rather see wastewater re-used than dumped somewhere.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

stog

stog