News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

Game 3, move 8 : Herd 5-2

Started by diane, July 23, 2013, 09:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

So..how are we handling this? Ask if you want something that isnt offered..with reasons.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

diane

Another very split vote, which confirms this is indeed a tricky move..come on folks, don't be shy - tell us why you are picking one horrible move over another  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

KDP

Spoiler
13-11 13-8  is my move.  why?  that's a little harder to explain but basically i like this play better than 13-11 11-9 because even though they both leave one blot the 11 8 play leaves a blot that in order to be hit, rod needs to give up one of his anchors in our inner board while 11 9 the blot can be hit with an ace and he keeps the back game going.  of the other voted on plays 11-9 6-1 while it leaves no blots, it does bury a checker on the ace which i think is terrible.
[close]

stiefnu

Spoiler
I also voted for 13/11, 13/8.  It clears our mid point and tempts Rodders to hit, probably loosening his grip on our home board and maybe giving us a return shot.  If we are hit, our timing would improve while we still have a degree of out-field control.  Our bad numbers would then be 53 and 63.

13/8, 11/9 presumably seeks to do the same but leaves 13, 33, 11 as nasty returns, as well as more hitting numbers for our redoubtable oppo, all the rest of his 1s, without him having to up anchor.

As for  11/9, 6/1, like KDP says, it'd be terrible to bury yet another on our ace point.
[close]

Julia_H

Spoiler
Will we tempt Roderick to hit? Quite possibly, as we have no real way to form a prime for any length of time now. If we are hit, we'd much rather it came at the cost of one of those anchors, so we can play to retake the point vacated, and we'd much rather it came now than in a couple of moves when that enemy board will certainly be stronger. But is it that valuable that we give so many more shots? Not sure. And the 11 point threatens nothing, but at least it's easier to clear than the 9. My first thought was 13/8 11/9, but I think I'm coming round to leaving the mid.
[close]

Zorba

Spoiler
I don't mind getting hit, regardless from where. The ninepoint is a good blocking point and creates a compact formation; the elevenpoint is close to worthless. 13/8 11/9 for me. Roderick usually has not enough timing for a 3 anchor backgame, so the blocking points in front of them seem to have good medium-term value.
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

stog

Spoiler
i like the 9 point too, 13/8 11/9
[close]