News:

happy holidays! take your board to the beach!

Main Menu

Bago goes Global...

Started by diane, July 31, 2013, 09:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

A few months ago, I noticed we now have good participation in the Australian Tournament time slots, and I realised it might be time for us
to realise a long time Fibs tourney concept.

The original idea was Francks [Tomawacky], along with EddieVedder  :icon_kidra: and a few other enthusiasts. What they created was BagOlympics, feeding into the World Cup once per year.

Tournaments were set up, but as always, finding regular TDs for all timezones wasn't possible, and Australia / AsiaPac was a big hole. We
tried and tried, but couldnt do it.

The European Bago has carried on thanks to LuckyDice, as a great stand alone tourney, but somewhat short of that original concept.

Then, along came Tom, with his tireless efforts and endless patience for dealing with cranky fibsters, including me :-) and twiddling TourneyBot
code...

TourneyBot was born anew...capable of running tournaments effectively with very little human intervention.

I saw that we now had the means to fire up that original dream again, and get it back to where it once was intended to go.

I contacted Tom, and we approached Tomawacky, who also loved the idea that it could live again...

Once again, Tom put his shoulder to the grindstone, whilst we muttered encouragement from the sidelines, and after weeks of hard work,
TourneyBot can now run Bago tourneys!

We had a trial on Tuesday and all went well...so from now there will be two regular tournaments, to compliment the European ones, running on
Tuesday and Thursday at 7.30 [sign up], 8pm [start], AEST [the same time as Week in/Hump day/ Week out, for those who know the time slot :-)

This is exciting - but only the beginning folks...watch out for USA bago spots and the return of the Fibs World Cup!  :veryhappy: :veryhappy:

Details yet to be finalised...watch this space.  :nr1:

Note - tourney schedule will be updated, but they will be running as of today!
Never give up on the things that make you smile

jeeves

Nothing here to tell me about the requirement to register with FLG before participating.

I'll repeat the question that I posed in FIBS shouts, but failed to get a sensible answer:

What is the purpose of the requirement to register with FLG before entering the Australian BagOlympic?

Diane, now you have an opportunity to sit down, breathe, compose yourself, and give me a clear reasoned answer, rather than just point me at Fibsboard (with in excess of 30000 posts) and tell me to stop whining for having the timerity to ask a question about the rules.

socksey

I'm imagine the reason is to declare your country as is a requirement of playing the other Bagolympics tournament where you play for your country as well as yourself. 

socksey

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they will never cease to be amused. ~ Anonymous

jeeves

Quote from: socksey on August 20, 2013, 03:05:15 PM
I'm imagine the reason is to declare your country as is a requirement of playing the other Bagolympics tournament where you play for your country as well as yourself. 

socksey

Can that be it?  Seriously???   She could've answered in a second.   :yes:

For somebody who decries the attempts to create drama on FIBS, she certainly displayed a liking for it herself.  :wacko:

Tom

Quote from: jeeves on August 20, 2013, 12:36:00 PM
Nothing here to tell me about the requirement to register with FLG before participating.

I'll repeat the question that I posed in FIBS shouts, but failed to get a sensible answer:

What is the purpose of the requirement to register with FLG before entering the Australian BagOlympic?

The BagOlympic is a FLG League!

If you try to register and are not a member of the FLG the bot will tell you how to register, it just takes filling out a form
and then you can register and play.

You do not have to play your country's Bago! Any FLG registered member can play.

This is the way Tomawaky desgined the league when it was started so many years ago.

tom

jeeves

Thanks Tom  :)

......but, why don't I have to register with FLG to play the European BagO?

diane

Quote from: jeeves on August 20, 2013, 06:00:35 PM
Can that be it?  Seriously???   She could've answered in a second.   :yes:

Sadly, I have answered it many times in fibs shouts, it appears you may have missed all those other times, although you were there..which is why I get tired of answering it in shouts..Also, you may have simply accepted that - others have gone on to argue further.

From your comments here, you may have interpretted something other than what I was feeling at the time you asked the question, which was 'fun'. Interpreting internet communications can and does get clouded with ones own personal agenda. If so, I apologise, you are a welcome fibs member, tourney player and contributing member of the community. I was in a frivolous mood yesterday, call it high on life  ;)

I cant see the big deal n registering at FLG, it takes seconds, and then you are right to go, and hopefully, we will get the World Cup running again - which was a fun event.

dorbel

So now we have two tournaments called Bagolympic that require you to be registered with FLG and two which don't. The first two are run by tourneybot and conform to a standard set of rules, the second two are run by LuckyDice and don't. Can we expect to see some standardisation in the future?

diane

Quote from: dorbel on August 21, 2013, 07:20:59 AM
So now we have two tournaments called Bagolympic that require you to be registered with FLG and two which don't. The first two are run by tourneybot and conform to a standard set of rules, the second two are run by LuckyDice and don't. Can we expect to see some standardisation in the future?

The main difference is that the Australian one [and soon the USA one] are run by Tourneybot and reported to FLG automatically, LD does that part differently. As long as the correct totals end up on FLG, that is the main thing.

As I dont play in the European one, I am not sure if there are still differences in the rules, maybe Tom can help with that.

dorbel

The main difference is that LuckyDice can and does bar some players (including me) because of personal prejudice. If the Euro Bago is to form part of a series with the others, I feel that they should all have the same entry criteria.

captainmubbers

Quote from: dorbel on August 21, 2013, 11:00:41 AM
I feel that they should all have the same entry criteria.

You can't argue with that
Riding on a high and windy day