News:

want to modify your profile? -- top menu  here, then "modify profile" left menu- then "Forum Profile Information"

Main Menu

Adding a villain

Started by gugu, August 15, 2013, 04:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gugu

I'm wondering what happens when I add someone to the villain list.  I see that their name becomes very faint and hard to see in the players list.  But are they automatically gagged?  Can they still invite me?

thanks

diane

When you put someone on the villains list in javafibs, you will not:
see their shouts
see any tells from them
receive any invites from them

They will effectively disappear from your life.

You can invite them, however, should you need to for a tourney or league match - but remember, if they have also put you on their villains list, they wont see your invite and you might not be able to schedule / play the match.

Note - you may see some odd conversations in shouts or whatever, as you will miss half of them or more  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

gugu

OK, thanks...

Today in a tourney, the 'villain' started watching my match because he was my next opponent.  Instantly Fibs said that I blinded him.

I didn't realize how potent it was to declare someone a villain.  I just wanted to note to myself that I don't wanna play the guy anymore, because he's so slow.  I didn't want him to feel offended, or know that I'd put him on the villain list-now I feel rude.

So, how do take him off villain status?  It doesn't seem to toggle off if I select villain again.  So I selected friend, and now its stuck on friend, can't even switch back to villain.  (edit: with javafibs closed, I was able to go into the user folder and open the friends and villains files, remove player(s), and save.  This took care of it)

What happens when you declare someone as a friend?

Are friend/villain a FIBS thing, or a JavaFIBS thing?

Thanks again

jeeves

If you look at your villain list, at the very top there are two icons, one to add a villain and one to delete a villain (the one with the red cross). Just select the player name in the list and click on the delete icon to remove somebody from your villain list.

Yes, it is a very powerful tool - not only can a villain not invite you, they cannot see your shouts and you cannot see their shouts or tells.  Very useful in some instances. B)

The same goes for your friend list in terms of adding/deleting

I believe that the villain list is JavaFIBS-specific, but I'm sure that somebody will correct me if that's not right  :dry:

socksey

To avoid villian's list, I color anyone I don't want to play again red.  This way you can see them vividly, yet still chat, play in tourney, see their shouts, etc.  I use different coloring as my own code.  Special friend's are chartreuse green, for instance.  If I color you chartreuse, you know you have arrived in my circle.   ;)  Of course, I'm the only one who sees these colors so others don't really know.  :)

socksey

Answering machine message:  "I am not available right now, but thank you for caring enough to call.  I am making some changes in my life.  Please leave a message after the beep.  If I do not return your call, you are one of the changes."

diane

Quote from: jeeves on August 21, 2013, 09:20:57 PM
Yes, it is a very powerful tool - not only can a villain not invite you, they cannot see your shouts and you cannot see their shouts or tells. 

I believe that the villain list is JavaFIBS-specific, but I'm sure that somebody will correct me if that's not right  :dry:

A small correction there...setting somone as a villain does NOT stop them seeing your shouts/ tells / invites, it is a client based action only. Which is why you can still invite them, as long as they havent set you as a villain too...

Villains list is java specific, yes...other clients have similar options, which do permutations of the same thing..many will stop tells and invites but not shouts, for example..

Colour coding is a much better option if you just want to avoid playing a slow player.

Villain status should really be reserved for extreme circumstances.

gugu

Wow, in all these years I somehow never noticed the friends and villains tabs?  That's odd.  I was just right clicking on a player in the playerlist, then relation/villain.

So if a player is listed as a villain and they try to invite me does the invitation just get lost in the ether, or do they get informed that I've gagged them?

I like the color coding idea, but it seems I must add someone as a friend before I can color code them.  If putting someone on the villains list causes all the above actions, what is the result of putting them in the friends list?  Or is it just a list?

Thx

diane

With friends, you get notified when they log in and out. You also have stats for them, so javafibs does a whois on them when you log in. If you have a very long friends list, it can tie up the information flow for a minute or so, while it gathers that data from the server.

No, people dont get a notification when you add them to either list.

If you set them as a villain, the only thing they will notice is that you automatically blind them if they start watching you play.