News:

Free Competition --3 won copies of Bgblitz2Go details  here http://www.fibsboard.com/free-competition-win-bgblitz2go-p85

Main Menu

upgrade oct 2013

Started by stog, October 25, 2013, 02:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

hi

just done an upgrade so pls report any strange behaviour thx  ;)

jeeves

Well, now you mention it.......

KissMyAss has been really nice today, and....
****** has been a little forgetful, and....
*** was reported to have had a smile on his face....

but, apart from that....  ;)

self-edited to protect the sanity of the guilty

Zorba

WTG stog. Seems to be going smoothly and fast!  :cool:
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

KissMyAss

O..M..G..     I was nice??    When did that happen?     

*shakes medication bottle*        Wow, I'm out!     Time to restock.. *wanders off to the pharmacy muttering death threats at the lamp posts*
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

stog

thx Z

we are though close to a major fork in the road where we will need to upgrade to the new branch of the forum software - which is different and rather than try and keep our Fibsboard exactly as it was, which isn't possible, i will have to set up yet another  test site etc and as i haven't that much time available i will probably try and do it for function --ie simply try and maintain the basic database and we can worry about the Look and feel as time allows

previous thread on this with screenshots and previous test sites, with new theme designs i did a few years ago (2.0, 2.1) is here (when i find it!)

the main problem is we can't use all the mods we are using with this version --loads of them there are..

so Fibsboarders will have to be patient when we do this, as many features we take for granted will not be available on the new Boards for quite a time, or some maybe not at all..

this forum upgrade is 1.1.19 and will be the last supported, as the 2 branch is now 2.6.

when i took over round about 1.1.8, i inherited quite a few mods that we are kinda stuck with, but which won't be supported in version 2..

one of them affects the way certain links are displayed and while it makes long thread links simpler, it is a nightmare as when i last tested, we lost many established cross links to artiicles etc..

anyhow this will have to be done, at the end of the year, and even if i can get a week or 2 to do this, the new forum  will have to be very basic for quite a while..

Zorba

Sounds like quite an operation, stog, good luck with it.

If there will be less bells and whistles on the forum and a more basic functionality, I guess we'll have to compensate for it by content  ;)
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

socksey

Whatever it was that you did, stog, the site seems far faster now..........a great improvement!  Kudos!

socksey

Stop. Breathe. Allow yourself the luxury of doing nothing for a moment, or an hour, or even a day. It is in emptiness that inspiration will appear. - Carole Katchen

stog

herewith a sneek screenshot of trial new site

stog

Zorba

I think it looks absolutely fabulous!  :cool:

Luck is my main skill