News:

check out the new Small ads section (Menu top left of  front page ... Snowie 4! SOLD!!!!advertise on fibsboard and turn all that "hanging around software "into ready cash -- small ads just £5!!!

Main Menu

Fibs down, Tiger up

Started by socksey, December 08, 2013, 01:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socksey

Fibs is down and Tigergammon is up!  Know you need your fix, so come on over!  Change server to ti-ga.com from fibs.com is all you have to do on whatever client you are using.  Find server in javafibs by preferences/server.  You will also have to sign in as a new user there with old or new nick.  See you there! :)  One more thing, turn auto log in off!  In Javafibs, find it in preferences near the bottom of the list.  Be sure it's off.  ;)

Also, note, you do not have to be validated and you can shout right away!

Oh, and don't forget to gag vici when you come in!   :lol:

socksey

Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye. - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

JeanPaul

I tried it again today, it is just not the same (as good) as FIBS. 

Zorba

In many ways it's better (faster, more bots to choose from, no validation needed, no shout restrictions, "mutual gag" command, nackgammon, hypergammon, in active development). The user base is slowly growing but still quite small though, probably the biggest downside for now. Work is being done on a tourneybot and a new graphical interface. Suggestions for improvement are welcome of course!
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

dorbel

Of course some might consider the lack of validation and some reasonable shout restrictions as a minus, but it takes all sorts! Can you still go on tigergammon and drop as much as you like without penalty? I can see that some might consider that a plus as well.

jackdaddy

Yes, freedom to drop is a much more important issue than freedom of speech. Being forbidden to not only shout, but not even discuss in private chat (for instance, the subject of a certain player having multiple secret nicks) seems to me to be of graver concern than losing time or rating due to dropping. Downright fascist imho. Oh, btw Paul, the issue of being able to drop bots with no consequences was resolved ages ago, as you were informed. Why are you insinuating otherwise?

Zorba

Dorbel, on FIBS one could pretty much drop as much as s/he liked for over 10 years if I'm not mistaken; that didn't stop it from being a success. I have yet to hear about people complaining they got dropped and couldn't resume on TigerGammon, unlike FIBS where this happens many times a day. The daily shouts about "why can't I play?" and "how long does it take to get validated?" are also absent from TigerGammon.

Of course that doesn't mean dropping isn't an issue that every backgammon server will have to deal with one way or another. There have been interesting discussions about that on TigerGammon between the users and the site admin; what is the best way to deal with the problem? Perhaps you could share your insights on it. FIBS has enforced certain rules to deal with droppers but they cause quite a bit of hassle as well, as anyone can witness in shouts regularly. Especially in tourneys it's far from elegant when players have to be explained how to get out of matches with a bot that are forced upon them.

The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

dorbel

I think it is fair to say that Fibs was a success despite unrestricted dropping, rather than because of it. The present policies aren't perfect but they are an improvement and possibly even as good as one can expect on a free site with thousands of users. No doubt when tiger has a wider player base, the dropping problem will have to be addressed. Ditto validation, which serves a useful purpose on fibs.

I see that "free speech", in the sense of anybody can say anything to anybody, is desirable to some and clearly they will be happier on tigergammon. One can still say whatever one likes on fibs of course, as long as it isn't designed to annoy, bully or bait other fibsters. Most people are pretty happy with that I think.

When fibs started the Internet was a very different place. As the Internet has evolved, it has become clear that one can't any longer say whatever one likes in forums and on social networking sites. Users and the operators of forums do have a responsibilty to regulate their behaviour. One day, tigergammon may also have to address the issue.

jackdaddy

So, you have no problem with Patti restricting private chats Paul? Your political postings in the past always seemed to suggest you'd be against such fascist methods.

vegasvic

Build your FENCE high enough to keep the UNDESIRABLES out and enjoy your gated community that you created .

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Abe said it well

Hope the muzzle is not on to tight .

ah_clem

Anybody have a prognosis or ETA for when FIBS is coming back up?

moonshadow

Quote from: vegasvic on December 09, 2013, 10:48:43 PM
Build your FENCE high enough to keep the UNDESIRABLES out and enjoy your gated community that you created .

UNDESIRABLE is a euphemism for a BARBARIAN, much in the same manner terrorists call themselves "freedom fighters"

One of the hallmarks of a highly developed civilization that wishes to keep its CIVILIZATION intact is that it builds walls to keep out the BARBARIANS, who by nature have no inclination to be civilized.

jeeves

Quote from: Zorba on December 08, 2013, 11:23:58 PM
In many ways it's better (faster, more bots to choose from, no validation needed, no shout restrictions, "mutual gag" command, nackgammon, hypergammon, in active development). The user base is slowly growing but still quite small though, probably the biggest downside for now. Work is being done on a tourneybot and a new graphical interface. Suggestions for improvement are welcome of course!

Faster?  Can't say I've ever noticed
More bots?  True, but some are so inept it's laughable, hence the artificially-high rating of some of the older members
No validation?  Not for now, but watch this space. And, tbh, it's a pretty insignificant one-off event.
No shout restrictions - definitely a downer, being one who doesn't want to read somebody venting off because their dice weren't of their making, or the world is against them, etc etc etc ad nauseum
Mutual gag - not familiar with this, but hardly earth-shattering I'd imagine
The user base is "quite small" - bit of an understatement there, don't you think?  Just recently it broke a new record, more humans playing than bots!!

ah_clem

Quote from: ah_clem on December 09, 2013, 11:35:02 PM
Anybody have a prognosis or ETA for when FIBS is coming back up?

Well, it's back up as of this morning.

And now, some more bickering and interpersonal drama.

jackdaddy

Jeeves, you forgot to mention how some also inflate their rating by playing the world class bots 29 ptrs and running the cube. Then again, maybe you were just making baseless assumptions....

vegasvic

Ahhhh The Butler and The Bible Thumper. where have you two been all this time ?.

Man i don't have to bait and you blankity blanks show your face .

Always a treat to see you both . :lol:

Amy

"Build your FENCE high enough to keep the UNDESIRABLES out"

Speak for yourself, vic :)

I like Tiger Gammon.  Yeah, there are a few people that whine (guess who?) but there's gag for that, just like on FIBS.  I like the three kinds of backgammon you can play.  Nackgammon is really fun.  As for the whiners about the dice, there are always those on FIBS as well.  I can play both FIBS and Tiger at the same time.  I am just thankful that FIBS and Tiger are available to play.  As long as they aren't in maintenance. :)  Hope to see you wherever you are!
Love.  It's what makes the world go 'round.

Zorba

Quote from: jeeves on December 10, 2013, 11:46:04 AM
No shout restrictions - definitely a downer, being one who doesn't want to read somebody venting off because their dice weren't of their making, or the world is against them, etc etc etc ad nauseum

Both FIBS and TigerGammon have a gag command for that. TigerGammon improves on FIBS by making it stick (permagag). A GUI like JavaFIBS allows you to put a player on the villains list.

It's always amazing how many people complain about some other player's shouts, when there is such a simple solution available that keeps everybody's freedoms intact.

Luck is my main skill

vegasvic

I guess in *** mind the blunderbots on fibs play world class , compare to beginner bots on tigergammon .

Seriously do you care about your rating that much ? If you do read dorbel's blogs or take lessons from him .

And as for you *** stop telling people you like me ... Your god does not care for lying ............. !!

Yes Zorba i have always wondered about that my self .

And last but not least how long before this is moved to limbo by ***?

stog

or the poster banned for continued and unnecessary personalisation. You have been warned to self-edit or better still think first, but --  i see Socksey has had to edit for you..

we have not the time or the will to chase up/ or tidy up after you - or move posts, if you can't follow Fibsboard's simple directives then you will be banned, if only to make our lives easier.

i repeat we have no gag here, this is a public forum and our only recourse for repeated need to edit/moderate and move is a ban..

zbilbo

Quote from: stog on December 10, 2013, 05:42:19 PM
i repeat we have no gag here, this is a public forum and our only recourse for repeated need to edit/moderate and move is a ban..

intredasting!!!111one

read the whole thread again, please.

start with sox alternative for fibs down, watch the questions and answers and then negative comments about alternative to fibs.

then ban responses to negative responses.

and then metawhiners like me...

idk

vegasvic

I know ZB i guess if you do not name, you can call people barbarians and get away with it .

jade

Haven't been able to log into fibs for days - downloaded java, chose ti-ga, etc.  Tried to register .. all to no avail ... argh!

Biffo

FIBS has been experiencing some DNS issues I think.  Changing the server in Preferences to the direct IP address (198.144.203.150) means it works just fine. 

dorbel

vegasvic

For all you backgammon lovers Tigergammon.com its up and running ....