News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2010 cheers! .....webrunner, stog, spielberg, jackdaddy, adrian, BallardBG, diane , anononymous , Zorba , sixty_something, ah_clem , kapiti , Drake ,aviator & r_monk

Main Menu

Fibs League

Started by dorbel, December 22, 2013, 03:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorbel

On the Fibsleagammon home page, Tomawaky (Franck del Rio) announces that he no longer has the time to devote to running the league. Ten years is enough he feels and who can blame him? I want to be the first to say how much pleasure I have had from the league and how much I have appreciated Franck's efforts and his many calm and wise decisions. It has been a great pleasure monsieur and thank you very much.
I wonder if anybody would be interested in taking it over, if indeed Franck is OK with that? It needs somebody with good site management skills and the ability to make thoughtful decisions. These criteria exclude me for sure, but anybody with suggestions or any enthusiastic volunteers, please step forward.

Thanks again Tomawaky, it has been fun.

stog

sad news indeed -- it has been very well set up, run and organised by Franck --and, if he hasn't anyone lined up -- i could host it here on our servers if Franck was ok with that (but i might just need a little help from him initially for smooth transition)

stiefnu

QuoteI want to be the first to say how much pleasure I have had from the league and how much I have appreciated Franck's efforts and his many calm and wise decisions. It has been a great pleasure monsieur and thank you very much.

Seconded. Thanks so much Franck, for all your hard work and devotion.

Steve

garp_02

Very sad news indeed. FLG has been the only thing that kept me here so long, and if it goes, I will be deeply saddened.

In tribute to Franck, it has been excellently run throughout the years I have been playing there. Franck has dealt with any disputes in a professional manner.

Sincere thanks for all your efforts mate.

Hopefully Franck will agree that some willing soul will take on board the running of the League.

Tom

I will contact him and see what he needs help with.

Does he need help with admin the league or hosting or all of it...

We should clearly keep this going!

Tom

socksey

Cheers to Tomawaky!   :veryhappy:  You've done a great job and indeed deserve a break.   :yes:

socksey

What you give you get, ten times over. ~ Yoruba Proverb

Schigolch

This is sad news indeed and the second big loss to the FIBS community within months after David's death that brought the end of the FIBS spring and autumn tournaments. I enjoyed the league a lot, and played every season since i joined. Had a lot of fun there.
Thanks, merci bien, Franck, on a eu beaucoup de plaisir en jouant dans la ligue au cours des ces années. Thanks for all the effort you've put into that project. However, I'd have appreciated if you could have notified us somewhat in advance so maybe some willing person could have taken over!
But I hope there's still this possibility left! I'd wish someone had the time and the devotion to continue the FIBS league.

roadkillbooks

Frank has been great.  Fibs league is a great and important pillar of the fibs and backgammon community.  I have greatly enjoyed participating.  I am willing to put time and effort into this.  I commend Stog for offering this space to possibly host.  I am very willing to take part as maybe a small committee. Bush Sucks has also expressed a willingness and has computer tech skills.  Hopefully we will be able to continue and have fibs league grow with new and enthusiastic energy.

roberto

roadkillbooks

Tom

I have contacted Franck asking if I could get a copy of the website and database.

He replied that he is VERY busy, I am hoping I can get something from him.

I will report back if I get anything from him.

Tom

KDP

QuoteHe replied that he is VERY busy,

seems to me hes not THAT busy as i saw him playing several matches yesterday on SHG.

Tom

Quote from: KDP on December 30, 2013, 12:13:59 PM
seems to me hes not THAT busy as i saw him playing several matches yesterday on SHG.
Ok well it is HIS time :)

I just received the files that make up the website, I will put them on my test server as soon as I can and see where we are.

I am feeling pretty good that FLG will be able to continue with only a minor interruption.

Tom

Tom

GREAT NEWS!!!
I have the web pages and database on my server!

It is going to take some time to get things working, like changing http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/ to something new
I am hoping to use flg.fibs.com much like I also have tourneybot.fibs.com pointing to my server.

More news as it develops (yes maybe that is a pun)

Tom

vegasvic

Great Job Tom .

Keep up the good work , and make the memorial tourney OPEN .  :thumbsup2:

Tom

Quote from: vegasvic on December 30, 2013, 05:52:41 PM
Great Job Tom .

Keep up the good work , and make the memorial tourney OPEN .  :thumbsup2:
Thanks!

The FIBS League (FLG) is a closed league, you have to be a member to play in the tourneys.

The Memorial tourney has nothing to do with FIBS League.

This smells a bit off topic :)

Tom

Julia_H

Huge thanks to Franck, FLG has been a great experience.

Tom, if you need any help with development give me a shout as well !

dorbel

As far as I am aware, the Memorial Tournament is open to all fibsters. Please, out of respect for our late fibsters, let's play it in a proper spirit.

Tom

I am making good progress getting the critical pages working.

I started with FLG (Gold->Bronze) and will look at masters next.

I also need to get with Franck and find out what maintenance needs to be done at Year end and switching sessions.

Hang in there I hope to get things moving very soon!

Tom

garp_02

Thanks for all your efforts, Tom.

It's much appreciated :)

Are you sure you're ready for all the forfeit requests etc etc?

Tom

Quote from: garp_02 on January 03, 2014, 12:55:58 PM
Are you sure you're ready for all the forfeit requests etc etc?

Hey Those can still go to Franck!  :eager:

I guess I'll find out how bad it is as a trial by fire!

I better make up a DIFFERENT email address! :kaffeepc:

Tom

sebalotek

Hi Tom,

Thanks for all your hard work on this, and thanks also to Franck for keeping the flag flying for all this time!

Just a quick question: will the results (promotions / demotions) of the end of the last session (ended Dec 30th 2013) be reflected when the next league season starts?

n.b. I must declare that I do have a vested interest - I worked really hard to get finally get into the Gold league next season :thumbsup: