Try the New Recent Posts Link available above Recent Topics on the Front Page

Main Menu

Fibsboard Forum Match 17 Game 3 Move 8 Herd to play

Started by stog, January 22, 2014, 03:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

Julia_H

Spoiler
White's position just has to give with almost any non-6. Moving the back man up at all allows him to dump behind us and avoid a lot of bad numbers. So I'm down to 13/8 and 13/9 8/7. With a 6 he runs and it's not great for us either way, but not gammonish with our strong anchor. Slotting the bar does have a huge upside when things go well in that we slam the door on the back man and force even more awkward plays from White later.
[close]

ah_clem

Spoiler

We are at quasi-gammon save and behind a bunch in the pipcount.  Moving the runner up simply allows elmicho to dump behind our anchor, so that's not the right idea. And leaving shots seems like the wrong approach, although our advanced anchor is good insurance against being gammoned.  The prosaic 13/8 leaves no shots so that's my vote. 13/9 8/7  just seems to make his sixes play better since he can leap out with tempo.  It's better when it works, but 15 shots whack us and two whack us twice.

13/8 for me.

[close]

KDP

Spoiler
at first glance i thought about slotting the bar to try and build a prime but with 3 men back we really cant afford another if we're hit.  13-8 really doesnt do anything and i cant see any Giant making that play.  i would play 13-9 24-23.
[close]

stiefnu

Spoiler
We can surely afford to be bold. Even if we're hit, we might get a return and anyway we're nicely anchored while elmicho has no board.  13/9, 8/7
[close]

diane

Spoiler
13/8 is yuck, does nothing for flexibility. I feel we can be bold, but not suicidal..we do have a lot back - and a cube sitting snugly in our corner. I would like to move 24/20..but then the 1 doesnt do anything I like. I would play 13/8, 24/23 in this situation. 24/23 doesnt do anything good, but it also doesnt do anything bad. Ooo..it is nice to be on this side for a change  :laugh:
[close]
Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

Spoiler

Seeing as how the vote is tied between 13/9 8/7 and 24/23 13/9, I'm switching my vote.

13/9 8/7 leaves too many shots.  13/9 24/23 certainly does more than 13/8, and only leaves 2 shots.  24/23 accomplishes nothing, but that's ok.

[close]