News:

VIP Donor members can now access VIP articles on the random photos that appear on the front page, with links & larger images..

Main Menu

Moderation

Started by dorbel, February 20, 2014, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorbel

We have seen at least two recent examples of moderators censoring posts in threads and/or moving threads that they themselves are engaged in. There is a clear conflict of interest here. Should this practice continue?

diane

Are you for real.. No, I'm sure this is just another effort to provoke, and probably should be removed...
Never give up on the things that make you smile

dorbel

It is a valid question, intended to promote rational discussion. Thank you for your response diane.

KDP

ok i've posted this exact quote before but i think i needs repeating:

"To hear one voice clearly, we must have freedom to hear them all."

ps, someone just shoot me now, i actually agree w/ dorbel on this one.

jeeves

Quote from: dorbel on February 20, 2014, 09:58:09 AM
There is a clear conflict of interest here.

I tend to agree.  Stog runs a really tight ship here, and thank goodness he does.  The only other mod that I respect is sixty_something (and no, that's not a dig at one of the female mods) - the remainder have all stirred the pot and fanned the flames of discontent to a greater or lesser extent in the past.  I seem to remember stog posting that a future upgrade would reduce the moderator task......here's hoping  B)

Quote"To hear one voice clearly, we must have freedom to hear them all"

Whilst I agree with this in principle, the site owner must draw a line to differentiate between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.  Outright abuse should not be allowed, but drawing that line can be difficult in itself.  However, if you get close enough to the edge to get a ban, then it's probably deserved

Zorba

There's no rule that moderators can't post their opinions and be part of discussions, or that they should maintain some neutral stance while doing so.

All you can expect is that moderators try to be neutral while moderating; not while posting. I think in general all moderators have done a pretty good job at that.

Personally I don't think that "drama" is an argument to move a thread to limbo; there's no rule here that drama isn't allowed. Personal attacks would be a reason though. I don't know exactly what triggered diane to move the thread, as some posts seem to have been edited already.
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

dorbel

My post that diane deleted before she moved the thread said that I could think of nothing sillier than diane siding with vic and socksey! Pretty offensive eh?

stog

Quote from: dorbel on February 20, 2014, 09:58:09 AM
We have seen at least two recent examples of moderators censoring posts in threads and/or moving threads that they themselves are engaged in. There is a clear conflict of interest here. Should this practice continue?

difficult if they are the only moderators 'on watch' i'd say..

returning from just 2 days respite, we unpack , feed the cat again and dab some brandy on my sore tooth. i then check my answerphone, emails and finally this site..

i have several PMs from folks referring to moderation .. here is my collective reply

we have Moderators who moderate  --

our basic tenet is to allow

we strive not to delete

and we put contentious stuff in a non Public Limbo board

all this in an effort to allow a Forum for backgammon related threads based loosely around Fibs and other backgammon servers

we do allow discussion on current affairs and issues our members feel strongly about, and we have areas set aside for folks to use

we try not to allow bickering of the sort that can arise in Public Chat on the backgammon servers, and try to encourage our posters to post considered comment which is not personal and which is self edited

this is evidently impossible for quite a few and consequently involves others to moderate which in turn gets them highlighted

i for one have neither the time nor the energy to deal with this on 24/24 basis, and i suspect other moderators are just the same

we do however share out this burden

and i post here a request for everyone to think twice before posting, to re -read whatever they post and self-edit, and realise that this particular Moderator has toothache and a tolerance of less than 1%..

also any energy i do have remaining for this site, is best put into the revamp it will need shortly rather than dealing with 'he said this/she said that"

diane

Quote from: dorbel on February 20, 2014, 04:42:24 PM
My post that diane deleted before she moved the thread said that I could think of nothing sillier than diane siding with vic and socksey! Pretty offensive eh?

That isn't what it said, even if it was what you intended, and it provoked the expected response, which was duly moderated.

It doesn't add any content to a discussion to simply post that someone is silly - and was clearly a purely provocative move. Dorbel obviously felt ganged up on, simply because no one agreed with his version of events. That becomes drama, not a valid discussion.

It also isnt true in the slightest...there was no joining forces of any kind. The simple fact is, all the people who were actually there, perceived something very different from the original fencepost discussion than dorbel either said at the time, or intended at the time. Dorbel refuses to accept that, and therefore assumes we have just decided to gang up on him.

Let me try something - and you will see it isn't especially offensive..but it isn't productive, worthwhile, true, useful or in any way a grown up way to behave...and therefore falls into the 'drama' box...and I do appreciate that pretty much no one on fibs gets what that is.

There is nothing sillier than a dorbel who assumes he is wronged.

jeeves

Things just went from bad to worse.......I didn't expect my "stirred the pot and fanned the flames" point to be reinforced quite so quickly.

It is what dorbel said, I read it myself.  He wasn't calling anybody silly, he was referring to the situation.  And as long as individuals are not being abused, who is to say what does or does not add any 'content' to a discussion?

Moderate or get off the pot!

dorbel

QuoteThat isn't what it said, even if it was what you intended, and it provoked the expected response, which was duly moderated.

Are deleted posts saved anywhere? Because if they are, pull it up and read it and post it.

diane

Consider this..a person is defined by their actions, that is certainly my belief system....now tell me again, it was not me you were calling silly..since you were saying that my action to side with others was the silliest thing ever.

Now, add to that, I was not siding with anyone, I was recalling events as they are in my mind. I was first to post.

When one person does not agree with your version of events, but that of everyone else...maybe it isn't a conspiracy - maybe you are wrong.

When I described you as silly, you duly reported it as a post which needs moderating.

Also, you have asked for a post to be moderated which describes you as the best backgammon player ever. It is also a thread which you have not only participated in, but started.

You opened that can of worms, you have to be prepared for what falls out.

It is a sad state of affairs when the most active fibsboard member at reporting posts writes a thread about over moderating as soon as something THEY have written is questioned.

Since you do not seem t understand how moderating works, how to avoid drama, how to interact with other humans and seem to lack any kind of empathy at all..I shall wander off and do something value adding with my time, and leave you navel gazing here. If Persian Lord says something you dont like..tough.

diane

Quote from: jeeves on February 20, 2014, 08:47:50 PM
And as long as individuals are not being abused, who is to say what does or does not add any 'content' to a discussion?

Me.

Here is some homework.

Diane posts on this thread:

Quotejeeves has a big nose

Discuss how the above comment adds anything to the subject of moderating a board, or anything for that matter.

When you have thought over that...consider

It is EXACTLY the same [well possibly slightly less childish] as someone stopping a discussion to say 'well you are the silliest thing ever'....

As in my post above, predictably, this thread is now ridiculous..and I am off.

vegasvic

Here is a t-shirt for you all .. stog you could make some money with this one :)
Was it not the Greeks that said everything in Moderation ?  I did not know this was unique to the expat English ,

jeeves

Quote from: diane on February 21, 2014, 11:05:27 PM
When you have thought over that...

If your posts did not drip with condescension you might start to be taken seriously  B)

Quotethis thread is now ridiculous..and I am off.

That's funny, I was only saying yesterday in shouts that it was about time you gave the "this is boring, I'm off" line or words to that effect, but you came in right on time.  So true to form  :lol:

dorbel

A response to
QuoteAre deleted posts saved anywhere? Because if they are, pull it up and read it and post it.
would be nice.

socksey

Please don't malign the moderators.   B)  Honestly, we do the best we can, without monetary gain.   :mellow:  It's a thankless job, for the most part, and does take more than a modicum amount of time because a few of you thankless lot cannot seem to moderate yourselves!   :cry:  So, why don't you just back off and make our jobs a bit easier?  Huh?  :yes:

socksey

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. - unknown

jeeves

Quote from: dorbel on February 22, 2014, 07:54:12 AM
A response to  would be nice.

The moderator has already said this is a ridiculous thread.  Your post has been deleted, misrepresented and scoffed at, what more of a response do you need?   :wacko:

dorbel

Honestly socksey, it isn't my intention to malign anybody. I recognise and respect the moderators and appreciate the fact that they attempt the job at all. This doesn't mean however that I shouldn't politely question their decisions when they seem to me to be questionable. My initial post in this thread raised a point that is worthy of discussion in a general sense and maligns nobody.
There is some malignity (not much, but some) in this thread and it doesn't come from me! Let's address the issues eh?

socksey

When I delete, I sometimes save the deletion and sometimes not, depending on what it is.  We have a moderator board and that's where my saved deletions usually end up.

socksey

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left. - unknown

vegasvic

It is called a POWER trip dorbel. end of story she did because she can .

The drink of choice

NIHILIST

Diane has become the Madame Ceaucescu of FIBSboard. She would do well to remember the fate of that lady.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

vegasvic

Letter to Stog ,

Stog i think you should allow me and Niho to moderate just so its fair and balanced .
:funnypost:

diane

Quote from: NIHILIST on February 22, 2014, 02:26:33 PM
Diane has become the Madame Ceaucescu of FIBSboard. She would do well to remember the fate of that lady.

Bob

yes..I shall beware the executioner for a petty squabble on a tiny internet site... :lol: :lol:

diane

Quote from: vegasvic on February 22, 2014, 02:29:17 PMStog i think you should allow me and Niho to moderate just so its fair and balanced .

Imagine a board you and Nihi DO moderate actually existed...just you two if you like..or you could add others...

Imagine if it had a tiger for a logo...and was maybe called something like..oh, I dont know..maybe TigerGammon Board..or something snappier - whatever your heart desires...

Imagine if you could post there freely and just as you like - just like the shouts on tigergammon...

It could have all the results from tigergammon tournaments..and improvement discussions maybe..wouldn't that be fabulous...

is that not a dream worth building - I'm sure between you, you have the time and the skills...

socksey

Are you trying to get rid of the tigers here?????????   :ohmy:  You're dreaming!   :laugh:

socksey

In the final analysis, you have got not to forget to laugh. - Katherine Hepburn

jeeves

In the words of a famous ex-Beatle.....

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You're dreaming!    :laugh:

vegasvic

"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."― Benjamin Franklin
Enjoy your security ,  i will take the freedom that tigergammon offers.

ciao

stiefnu

"Moderation in all things" - Aristotle